• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 3-3-13

skiking4

belleayre vs platty on Sunday? or verse Hunter? I'm thinking of hitting one of the eastern catskill mountains this weekend (Bell or Platty) due to I think they got a lot more base because of some lake effect and maybe I could get some tree skiing in.

ScottySkis

belleayre vs platty on Sunday? or verse Hunter? I'm thinking of hitting one of the eastern catskill mountains this weekend (Bell or Platty) due to I think they got a lot more base because of some lake effect and maybe I could get some tree skiing in.

I don't know nothing about Bell. Go to platty regulars will tell you with Sun all trails open for weeks now. Great 2 feet of snow recently. Potterbrothers store discount for Sunday 40s degrees and Sunday forecast. Was dam fun two weeks ago even though 2 feet up snow was predicted that weekend, but lake effect happens two days before.:thumbup::thumbup::)

legalskier

belleayre vs platty on Sunday? or verse Hunter?

You probably can't go wrong at any of them, though Belle & Platty won't have the crowds. The pics in this thread demonstrate that both have benefited from the same snowfalls, which only stands to reason as they aren't far away from each other (at least as the crow flies).

IMO, it's worth the extra 20 mins. And then some!

If you can find it. :smile: Just remember- when the sign says "20 mins to Platty," it's really 40- and when that other sign says "3 miles ahead," it's really six. Seriously.

ScottySkis

You probably can't go wrong at any of them, though Belle & Platty won't have the crowds. The pics in this thread demonstrate that both have benefited from the same snowfalls, which only stands to reason as they aren't far away from each other (at least as the crow flies).

If you can find it. Just remember- when the sign says "20 mins to Platty," it's really 40- and when that other sign says "3 miles ahead," it's really six. Seriously.

So past Bell here my directions, 20 miles approximately after Bell, you go through small town of Arkville, make right turn like sign said, follow signs slowly!!!!! Go like half mile on rlcurvy road, make right turn on 30 north, go approximately 5 miles, look for sign makes left turn for Platty$ red barn on right. Follow plattekill mountain rd and signs hill is at the end of the road. Snow tires and or 4 wheel drive a big plus ,once you become a regular of platty , the drive is 20 minutes of heavenly drive pass Belll eveytime.!!!@:):):):):):thumbup:

SKI-3PO

20 miles past Belle to Arkville? Without a map handy, I'm guessing closer to 5.

legalskier

20 miles past Belle to Arkville? Without a map handy, I'm guessing closer to 5.

I'm talking about the sign that's closer to the Thruway. It says 20 mins from there. Belle isn't even 20 mins from there. Last time I went I used that 3 mile sign as a gauge...and made a wrong turn.
Don't go by the signs is all I'm saying.

SKI-3PO

Fair enough - and my mistake for interpreting a Scotty post literally. :razz: I now see with the proper punctuation/capitalization he probably didn't really mean 20 miles past Belleayre to Arkville.

abc

Last time I went I used that 3 mile sign as a gauge...and made a wrong turn.
Don't go by the signs is all I'm saying.
That 3 mile sign is indeed the most misleading road sign I've ever encounter in this continent!!!

Every year, my first time to Platty, although I knew what the turn off from Rt 30 looks like, that "3 mile ahead" sign ALWAYS threw me off. I would end up crawling for the next 3 mile, holding up traffic behind me, looking at every itzy-bitzy road name thinking it was the turn-off...

Why the mountain still leave such a sign out there is a bit mysterious. Come on, by the time someone got to Rt 30, they're really really committed to ski Platty! So there's no need to sugar-coat it any more! ;)

ScottySkis

Fair enough - and my mistake for interpreting a Scotty post literally. :razz: I now see with the proper punctuation/capitalization he probably didn't really mean 20 miles past Belleayre to Arkville.

Biggest thread hijack ever. Sorry for Bell trips report hijacking, I guess we should just make all things Platty thread, lol. Yes I meant after you pass Bell it takes approximately 20 minutes to get to Platty, maybe a little longer first time their, after several you can get their 17 minutes after Bell , I done it.

legalskier

That 3 mile sign is indeed the most misleading road sign I've ever encounter in this continent!!!
Every year, my first time to Platty, although I knew what the turn off from Rt 30 looks like, that "3 mile ahead" sign ALWAYS threw me off. I would end up crawling for the next 3 mile, holding up traffic behind me, looking at every itzy-bitzy road name thinking it was the turn-off...
Why the mountain still leave such a sign out there is a bit mysterious. Come on, by the time someone got to Rt 30, they're really really committed to ski Platty! So there's no need to sugar-coat it any more! ;)

Biggest thread hijack ever. Sorry for Bell trips report hijacking, I guess we should just make all things Platty thread, lol. Yes I meant after you pass Bell it takes approximately 20 minutes to get to Platty, maybe a little longer first time their, after several you can get their 17 minutes after Bell , I done it.

....Or they could just hang a left into Belle, hehe.
Seriously, Scotty if you see Laszlo you need to tell him to change those signs, or at least the 3 mile one. Too confusing. Gotta wonder how many ppl got thrown off course & ended up going elsewhere. My buddy's phone GPS didn't even work out there, argh!

ScottySkis

....Or they could just hang a left into Belle, hehe.
Seriously, Scotty if you see Laszlo you need to tell him to change those signs, or at least the 3 mile one. Too confusing. Gotta wonder how many ppl got thrown off course & ended up going elsewhere. My buddy's phone GPS didn't even work out there, argh!

All fixed now we have a platty thread for good directions for zplatty and info feel free to add info please, if I talk to Lasso it will be to find out were the hidden glades are first then shake his hand and thanks him for keeping Platty alive and good.:)

dmc

Come on Belleayre "homers" - you gotta stand up to Scotty when he starts in with all the Plattekill BS in your threads... :)