• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre March 9, 2008 (pics & vid)

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
The day started cold and windy, about 20 degrees, even some snowfall. The skiing was hard and crunchy, and there were those chunky chunks from the grooming machines. Upper bump runs were closed because the lead-ins were boilerplate, and the bumps were probably too hard too. Superchief was closed for the first hour because the wind from the storm on Saturday night derailed it. Once they got it running, they ran it empty for about 30 minutes. Some pics of the repair crew from far away below.

They were blowing snow on Wanatuska, where the skiing was sweet, and on the ridge trail that connects the top of Tomahawk to the top of Lift 7. To be blowing snow this late in the season shows some commitment, eh? Despite the TON of rain on Saturday night, there is still a lot of base left at Belleayre. It is really hard right now, but hopefully there will be some sunny spring skiing ahead.

The day warmed after lunch. There was sun and the wind stopped. After lunch runs on Dot Nebel were awesome. Couldn't make a bad turn in that stuff - best snow on the mountain for mach speed GS turns today. (Speaking of which, Dot will be closed next weekend for racing.) O yea - after the morning race, lower Yahoo was awesomely fast too.

Lift lines did not exist today. Maybe one short line about 10:30, just before they started loading Superchief again.

Two races for the kids today. Mini World Cup #4 (SSL) in the AM, and Mogul Mash in the PM. Overall this was a busy fun day. Another weekend where the weather and conditions today were 100% different than yesterday. This winter is keeping us on our toes!

100_2819-vi.jpg

Superchief repair crew

100_2826-vi.jpg

Yahoo closed - bumpy boilerplate lead-in

100_2836-vi.jpg

Morning view from Lift 7 looking down lower Yahoo

100_28422843merged-vi.jpg

Afternoon view from Lift 7 looking up the mountain (merged photo)

All the photos here.

Last run from Tomahawk Mid-Station to Overlook Lodge, where the race awards ceremony was taking place.
Shooting vid from the hip while skiing:

Last edited:

skidbump

Actually it derailed at about 830 am ish and you missed the evac 1 tower above lodge.Ski patrol rescued ski patrol"they were stuck for 45 min"

thinnmann

Website
Actually it derailed at about 830 am ish and you missed the evac 1 tower above lodge.Ski patrol rescued ski patrol"they were stuck for 45 min"

Holy crap - how cool~! er, sort of... We were running late on Sunday because we slept later because got home late from dinner at a friend's house up Rt. 42, and then there was the time change. We got home late because we had to take an almost 4-wheelin' detour over the mountain because 42 was closed from live powerlines that were blown down....

thinnmann

Website
You posted the thread title as March 10. I fixed it.

I know why now - my Timex Ironman watch doesn't have a leap year! I missed a meeting last week and I couldn't figure out why - it isn't like me to miss meetings - and I think that is why that happened too!

A letter to Timex is in order!