• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East & Catamount: 3 New Lifts, Terrain Expansions

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What works for snow gun tech is known and what doesn't work is also known. All the snowgun manufacturers I'm sure are using the best technology and the best engineers before they make a new snowgun. Jiminy Peak thought they could do better? It's not 1970 or 1980 anymore...I'm not really sure the point of making something in-house.

Maybe I'm missing something. I was aware of Jiminy's snowmaking program....I did not know they were trying to export it out. Maybe the quality of the snow is good, maybe it's bad....who knows as they close a trail down for snowmaking whenever they light up 3 or 4 guns on it :ROFLMAO:

machski

Was out at Berkshire East today, totally blown away by their Mountain Bike scene. Did not expect that, tons of riders, parking lot had to be 75% full at least, two lifts in use to the summit both with dedicated bike carriers between regular chairs. Have to give it to them, they are drawing strongly for that. Their mountain coaster is why we stopped by. One of the longest I have ridden, well placed on the hill away from the ski trails. That wasn't busy at all but darn was it fun. Nice operation there.

ss20

Was out at Berkshire East today, totally blown away by their Mountain Bike scene. Did not expect that, tons of riders, parking lot had to be 75% full at least, two lifts in use to the summit both with dedicated bike carriers between regular chairs. Have to give it to them, they are drawing strongly for that. Their mountain coaster is why we stopped by. One of the longest I have ridden, well placed on the hill away from the ski trails. That wasn't busy at all but darn was it fun. Nice operation there.

My understanding is it's arguably the premier lift served mountain biking destination in the East.

I could be totally wrong tho.

skiur

My understanding is it's arguably the premier lift served mountain biking destination in the East.

I could be totally wrong tho.

I thought Killington had that honor...the beast vs the beast! Never been to Berkshire east so can't really say.

Newpylong

Killington or Highlands likely would get that nod.

So they use both the summit Quad and triple for biking at once? That's great to see it so busy.

cdskier

I've heard the same said about MTB at Plattekill.

Does Platty even offer lift served MTB anymore? For some reason I thought they stopped it (or only offer it a few select days/weekends)

NYSnowflake

We could go back and fourth all night on this...I don't want to put words in your mouth, but you sound like you're trying to make the argument Berkshire East isn't seeing adequate investment or is "due" for something new?? That's just not true...they're wayyyy ahead of their local competition in improvements.

Jiminy Peak- no improvements the past decade, except for adding snowmaking on a single trail and a few new snowmaking ponds/pumps
Butternut- nothing added the past decade
Bousquet- was literally falling apart before new owners
Sundown- one new trail (Satan's Stairway AZ debacle....oh boy that was a good one)
Mohawk- taken good care of by the family...lodge was blown out and all but one lift was replaced in the late 00s and early 10s...I'd say its seen as much investment as Berkshire East save for zero summer stuff at Mohawk while BEast has put tons of $$$ into making a premier bike park.

Catamount before it was taken over had seen a couple new trails cut but no other improvements since the quad went in in '07ish.
I believe Catamount has a nice new lodge… though I don’t know what year it was completed.

rebel1916

I've heard the same said about MTB at Plattekill.
I love Platty, but their MTB days are over a decade in the past. Last I heard they are running 3 weekends a year, and I know they haven't done any trail building (or even real maintenance, in years.

RH29

Looks like Catamount completely got rid of any trail separation on the front face...and I have to say it looks terrible. The replacement for the Cata double doesn't look like it's in, and the trees are completely gone all the way from Race Slope to Off Stage.

Newpylong

Looks like Catamount completely got rid of any trail separation on the front face...and I have to say it looks terrible. The replacement for the Cata double doesn't look like it's in, and the trees are completely gone all the way from Race Slope to Off Stage.

Wow are you kidding? Worse than Bousquet now?

ss20

RH29

Newpylong

The Schaeffer way, widen the sh*t out of everything so you can use fan guns when the trails were fine to begin with.