• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East & Catamount: 3 New Lifts, Terrain Expansions

Zand

😲 Hopefully they never decide to try that at Berkshire East. Already pissed that they ruined the glades with the huge bike trail birms.

eatskisleep

😲 Hopefully they never decide to try that at Berkshire East. Already pissed that they ruined the glades with the huge bike trail birms.
You gotta get on a bike, those trails are incredible!

RH29

The Schaeffer way, widen the sh*t out of everything so you can use fan guns when the trails were fine to begin with.
I'm going to explode if I catch a whiff of that at Berkshire East. (I have indy pass, so boycotting is pointless, but I can still send angry emails.) Would be a terrible shame if Competition, War Dance, Minnie Dole, and Big Chief got killed off.

The glades at Berkshire East are still in okay shape. There's still enough that even with the MTB stuff, they're not totally ruined.

skiur

Same shit happened at Killington. Im all for improving the summer experience, but winter is what pays the bills.

urungus

I'm going to explode if I catch a whiff of that at Berkshire East. (I have indy pass, so boycotting is pointless, but I can still send angry emails.) Would be a terrible shame if Competition, War Dance, Minnie Dole, and Big Chief got killed off.

The glades at Berkshire East are still in okay shape. There's still enough that even with the MTB stuff, they're not totally ruined.
Sadly Upper Competition itself fell victim to the widening insanity, check out the no longer existing “Slalom Chute” trail from the 2009-10 Trail Map

B8C92443-B8D1-4F6B-8D0A-7E76F902BA64.jpeg

Newpylong

Winter has and always will "pay the bills." Summer activities (including mountain biking) help keep the lights on and year round employees retained and that's about. They are a great way to utilize the facilities in the other half of the year and to slow the cash burn rate.

Unless the temps go up 20 degrees tomorrow this will remain the case for the foreseeable future.

raisingarizona

Winter has and always will "pay the bills." Summer activities (including mountain biking) help keep the lights on and year round employees retained and that's about. They are a great way to utilize the facilities in the other half of the year and to slow the cash burn rate.

Unless the temps go up 20 degrees tomorrow this will remain the case for the foreseeable future.
I don’t think temps need to go up 20 degrees to throw a wrench into the regular scheduled winter programs gears. It may not be as obvious in New England but it’s pretty obvious out here that things are a changing and more rapidly then most people want to believe

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
New Catamount trail map is out...so instead of the expansion below Lower Sidewinder, they put a tubing park there instead. Wonderful. I got excited when I saw what looked like trail clearing going on last season.

Very lame but that's where the money is. Looked like a lot of developable terrain over there at a good intermediate/advanced pitch.

Still a better placement than Mohawk's tubing hill where they simply closed the bottom of one of the runs and funneled 3 trails worth of skiers onto a chute that's 20 feet wide.

urungus

Posted this in the “First” thread but I figured I would repost here. Berkshire East is hinting they will open next weekend, despite the terrible weather forecast for the coming week. In meantime you can use your season pass at Bousquet, which opened yesterday10F3C2C4-9647-4E00-9AB0-7FE6DE9905F8.jpeg

Last edited:

Pez

I can't believe how crowded it's been at B East this year. Sunday was insane 15 min lift lines, and when I got thee just the main quad was running.

xlr8r

I can't believe how crowded it's been at B East this year. Sunday was insane 15 min lift lines, and when I got thee just the main quad was running.

I am thinking of heading to Berkshire East Saturday, but am now concerned about the crowds. How bad were the lines once they got the other chairs running?