• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Base Area Bars

MEtoVTSkier

Long closed, but the bar at Klein Innsbruck in Franklin, MA was off the rails in the late 70' early 80's high school and college days. ID, what's that? Never got much skiing in.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

Wow, finally someone else who skied Klein Innsbruck. We went a bunch 84-86 if we didn't end up at Wachusetts or up in VT. It was a cool little place, and the lift lines weren't as bad as at Yagoo Valley weeknights.

Middle 80's was great in VT. The drinking age was still 18 when it was 21 everywhere else, so while the Elders were all scattered between Cannon and Bretton Woods, all of us 16-20 year olds used to pile in and head up to Burke instead, and end up closing down the Bear's Den, and whatever the bar in the Sherburne Base was called... Lots of pitchers consumed at the Bear's Den for sure!

:thumbup:

HD333

The best base area bar for me is the trunk of my car.

Much better beer, I control the tunes and there are usually a few like minded people in the lot to socialize with.

Although Tom’s Loft does get a vote from me. Love that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

You guys have covered most of the places I like. The Base Box - MRG is my standard for cool Retro left as it was kind of place. I like the Matterhorn or "The Griz" as my people call it at Sunday River.
For out west I like the Cham at Squaw Valley. You never know who you will see in there. Good outside place in the spring, great bar upstairs with all kinds of old memorabilia.

skiur

The top of Killington access road on a sunny Saturday in April or May.

Icecoastmatt

Wow, finally someone else who skied Klein Innsbruck. We went a bunch 84-86 if we didn't end up at Wachusetts or up in VT. It was a cool little place, and the lift lines weren't as bad as at Yagoo Valley weeknights.

Middle 80's was great in VT. The drinking age was still 18 when it was 21 everywhere else, so while the Elders were all scattered between Cannon and Bretton Woods, all of us 16-20 year olds used to pile in and head up to Burke instead, and end up closing down the Bear's Den, and whatever the bar in the Sherburne Base was called... Lots of pitchers consumed at the Bear's Den for sure!

[emoji106]
Franklin, Mass? There is 1000% no mountain there that I have ever heard of and no elevation even exists.

19-20: 21 days

jaywbigred

Much better beer, I control the tunes and there are usually a few like minded people in the lot to socialize with.

I know it was not the point of this thread, but I love this sentiment.

Icecoastmatt

Why go back to you car? Bring a back and drink on the lifts.

Razor

Franklin, Mass? There is 1000% no mountain there that I have ever heard of and no elevation even exists.

Wrong. I skied at Klein Innsbruck way back in the day. It was a few miles off 495. The King St. exit maybe?

chuckstah

Well, right and wrong. It was a hill, not a mountain. But the ski area certainly existed, all 200 or so vertical feet, and it was fun.

chuckstah

[emoji106]
I remember several ski trips to VT as well for the 18 age limit. CT as well.

Icecoastmatt

Wild to think there was even a ski hill in Franklin. I live 2 towns over and have never heard anything of it ever existing.

Even at 200ft i wish it was still there just to check it out.

Shredmonkey254

I'm pretty sure its still there, you just have to go and find it! There might be houses there now, but if its woods, I bet you can find the trails and even lift equipment in the woods. Relics from Satins Ridge are still in place in Collinsville, CT.
Wild to think there was even a ski hill in Franklin. I live 2 towns over and have never heard anything of it ever existing.

Even at 200ft i wish it was still there just to check it out.

mister moose

Relics from Satins Ridge are still in place in Collinsville, CT.
Yeah, it's called Ski Sundown, open this weekend (?) Maybe you're thinking of the old Canton Ski Club?

Back to topic,

20200306_191442-1.jpg

Not like any other Fiddlehead, not even 2nd Fiddle, (way better) and on tap right now at Sushi Yoshi, Killington.