• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best ski resort/mountain by state...

pepperdawg

Nh - Tux....
Vt - hmmmm....I guess Tha Bush. (overall)..see Kmart, Smuggs, as runners up....
CA - Alpine Meadows (squaw a close 2nd)
Nv - Gotta agree Mt Rose...a 6 -pack to take you to goodness...
Ut - The Bird, or Brighton..canyons doesnt suck
CO - Wolf Creek, or Vail...Breck, Copper,Eldora,...Ok CO rules...serious
Wy - JH...SNow King(not..ironicay beats anything EC though)
BC - Black Comb.....Spent 10 days in W/BC....doesnt suck!!!

I dunno aside from that ,the Dawgs experience is limited... :roll:

dmc

NY- Hunter
NH- Wildcat
VT- MRG
CO- ABasin
WY- Jackson
CA- Kirkwood
NV- Mt Rose
MT- Bridger Bowl
UT- Solitude
BC- Kicking Horse

Vortex

Vt. MRG
NH Loon
Me Sunday River
Quebec Mt St. Anne ( Only place in Canada I have been.)

Been to a few places in Mass, no favorites.

Limited States for me.

blacknblue

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of you. Raised in VT, living in CO, working for a ski tour op (for whatever that's all worth), here's my list:

ME: the 'Loaf
NH: I'm actually going with Ragged on this one. I know, I know...
VT: Jay or MRG (other than my backyard)
NY: Whiteface
VA: Massanutten
WV: Canaan (Snowshoe on a pow day)
MA: um?

CO: definitely not Vail. Steamboat or Crested Butte. Silverton or Wolf Creek on a pow day. MaryJane is a good one, too, for trees and bumps.
UT: Alta (honorable mention to Snowbird and Solitude)
WY: Jackson
MT: Big Mountain
CA: definitely not Heavenly. Squaw Valley. Kirkwood or Mammoth on a good day.

Canada: Whistler (duh). I'm trying Banff/Lake Louise and Panorama next month, so...

dmc

blacknblue said:
Canada: Whistler (duh). I'm trying Banff/Lake Louise and Panorama next month, so...

My advice... Skip Panorama and drive to Kicking Horse...
But thats just my opinion...

I seriously crave going back to Kicking Horse..

blacknblue

dmc said:
blacknblue said:
I'm trying Banff/Lake Louise and Panorama next month

Well, I'd love to, but it's a business trip. The company's paying me to 'familiarize' myself with the skiing and lodging in Banff (Banff Springs Hotel)and Panorama, so I have to put my nose to the grindstone on this one! I'd love to do the Kicking Horse/Red/Fernie/Big White/Sun Peaks trip someday.

dmc

blacknblue said:
dmc said:
blacknblue said:

Well, I'd love to, but it's a business trip. The company's paying me to 'familiarize' myself with the skiing and lodging in Banff (Banff Springs Hotel)and Panorama, so I have to put my nose to the grindstone on this one! I'd love to do the Kicking Horse/Red/Fernie/Big White/Sun Peaks trip someday.

Actually when I was in Panorama a friend of mine was doing the same thing as you... cool..

But - your clients MAY want to take a trip up to KH during their visits... So it may be a good thing to 'familiarize' yourself to it...

Panorama may be a bit better now... They've replaced poma lifts with chairs apparently... that was one of my biggest beafs...

the other was the Intrawest cookie cutter resturants, etc....

blacknblue

dmc said:
blacknblue said:
dmc said:
blacknblue said:

Actually when I was in Panorama a friend of mine was doing the same thing as you... cool..

But - your clients MAY want to take a trip up to KH during their visits... So it may be a good thing to 'familiarize' yourself to it...
Oh, I just found out that as part of my 'familiarization,' I *have* to go heli-skiing at Pano with RK Heli-Ski Co. It'll be rough, but, hey, I'm a devoted employee. ;)

dmc

blacknblue said:
dmc said:
blacknblue said:
dmc said:
blacknblue said:

As part of my 'familiarization,' I *have* to go heli-skiing at Pano with RK Heli-Ski Co. It'll be rough, but, hey, I'm a devoted employee. ;)

RK has a cool resturant.. We ate there a few times... It was way better then the slop Intrawest served up...

Had a drink with one of the guides... Were talking about the CPR ridge at Kicking Horse... He told me that due to the bad snow year(2003) I should blow off the heli skiing.. Was telling me that avi danger was really bad and they were limited to mellow terrain... :(

One of these days I'll get on a chopper to ride BC.....

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
VT Mad River Valley to escape the Metro-ites (i'm from Jersey)
NH - That's a tough one...all of New Hampshire is nice...read no crowds and GREAT Deals..damn the secrects out..Tenney, Ragged, King Pine, Gunstock, Waterville, Loon, Cannon (Damn Never been to my namesake Bretton Woods), and if you stay on the Other side, Attitash, Cranmore, Black...and an hour to the River
ME - The River. No Choice, hands down, best skiing in the east...now if you want nightlife...but you should be toast
NY- Whiteface & Gore Mountain You can ski both on the same pass
MA - Never Been Nutterbutt looks nice
NJ - Nothing - I give the nod to Hunter Midweek or Bellayre for families..Mountain Creek? Turn Turn, get on the lift...zzzzzzzzzzzz...
PA - Elk or Blue Mountain (Not Blue Knob)

North America - Whistler/Blackcomb....very limited western ski experience...but with 2 mountains, each a mile vertical, with totally different personalities? And the level of top shelf all around, and the amount of snow...and the low base elevation...(ok,ok, I heard about the low altitude weather, but there's always a thermal inversion)

How can you beat it?

Gotta get back

Anyone hear of any good family deals?

haines

Best Area's by Far

ME Saddleback (Old School)
NH Mt Sunapee( Hands down has seen improvement)
VT Way to hard SMuggs, Bush and Stowe and Stratton for night light
CO Abay in the Spring
MT Bridger Bowl the fabled BBC Bridger Bowl Cloud home of the Cold Smoke
The fresh snow settles and be noon the wind kicks up it looks like a fire
in the woods. The light powder wafted in the air go there! :