• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bicycle weight

saus

Another question from a new but enthusiastic bicycle rider: For a road bike not used for carrying packs or cargo other than a rider, to be used for things like centuries on paved roads, what would be a reasonable bicycle weight? What's higher than reasonable, what's needlessly low, etc? Considering that this is not for racing, is the difference between two pounds and three pounds significant? What difference would that extra pound make for the rider?

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm a relatively new rider as well. However, I believe 20 lbs is probably a good bench mark for road bike weight. You can take a carbon framed road bike and with adding lightweight carbon components and lighter wheels, you can get that weight down to 14 lbs. However, like you, I think that is overkill unless your racing.

saus

What about total bike weight? Is 16 pounds needlessly light? What would be considered "light" but not quite "race light"?

Charlie Schuessler

Remember frame weight is based not just on materials but size, what is the size of the frame?

What is the weight of the rider? Which of the two is easier to loose weight and produce better results in terms of power (speed) development? Loosing weight on the rider is free in terms of $$$ and loosing weight on the frame costs $$$...

saus

Remember frame weight is based not just on materials but size, what is the size of the frame?

What is the weight of the rider? Which of the two is easier to loose weight and produce better results in terms of power (speed) development? Loosing weight on the rider is free in terms of $$$ and loosing weight on the frame costs $$$...

Excellent point, Charlie, and believe me, it's on my mind bigtime. I weigh 162 at the moment, and my usual average weight is 150. In serious fighting trim, it would be 145, but I'm not sure I want to be there. I have shrunk - no $h!t - from 5'10" back in the day, to 5'8" at the age of 65. When I'm biking in 40 years, I'll probably need a kid's bike.:roll:

However, it's not just the weight that the biker drives that counts - it's the way the bike responds. As a skier, I know that flex placement, amount of flex, and weight all make some contribution to way a ski rides. Bikers have told me that the same thing applies to bikes. I'm looking for - in a few words - more fun.

I already have a Bianchi Volpe - a really versatile cyclocross - and enjoy it immensely. I have no intention of replacing this triple, and if riding fully loaded on a cross country trip, I'll be glad that I have the granny gear. I've let it rip on long downhill runs and had TONS of fun doing it, feeling very secure. I usually stay on the large ring and shift only when needed. I never use the granny gear these days.

As in skis, I have different skis for different conditions, uses and experiences (I'm known as a gear whore - I have five pairs of skis and one pair on the way). My on-piste carving/teaching skis are last season's Volkl Allstars in 161 cm length. I also have on order some 2007 Volkl AC4 in 170 cm length. They're both superb skis - but obviously provide different experiences.

The next velo will not be a replacement for the Volpe - it will be a supplement. So, I want it to be something different.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
However, it's not just the weight that the biker drives that counts - it's the way the bike responds. As a skier, I know that flex placement, amount of flex, and weight all make some contribution to way a ski rides. Bikers have told me that the same thing applies to bikes. I'm looking for - in a few words - more fun.

Excellent point! The lighter the bike the better the responsiveness.

Last edited:

bruno

I'm a relatively new rider as well. However, I believe 20 lbs is probably a good bench mark for road bike weight. You can take a carbon framed road bike and with adding lightweight carbon components and lighter wheels, you can get that weight down to 14 lbs. However, like you, I think that is overkill unless your racing.

i agree. and a 14 or 15 lb. ride would most likely be a one-crash bike.:smash: :roll: 8)

saus

i agree. and a 14 or 15 lb. ride would most likely be a one-crash bike.:smash: :roll: 8)

Maybe not, if the frame is titanium.

Overall, I get the impression that 16 pounds is considered light, 18 pounds not too shabby, 20 pounds ok, 25 pounds not unthinkable but not light, and over 25 pounds is probably hunky dory but not really responsive in a fun, sexy kinda way.

Please banter with me about what it feels like to ride a titanium bike at various weights. Rather than just say "that depends", please set the rider at a standard 150 pounds, 5'8", and relate the results to any other variables you'd like to throw in. I'm here to have fun, so let it roll!

bruno

the lightest bike out there is a carbon look (i think) and with all the lightest weight components i think it's around 15 lbs. i saw one at belmont wheelworks. i am 5'8", 130 lbs and i wouldn't feel too safe hittin' any of the bumps we have here in beantown!!

but yeah, you could get a ti bike down to 16 or 17 lbs and it'd most likely survive a crash. carbon makes me nervous. and aesthetically i don't really care for 'em. they strike me as kinda soulless. that's just me though.:-D :flag:

saus

the lightest bike out there is a carbon look (i think) and with all the lightest weight components i think it's around 15 lbs. i saw one at belmont wheelworks. i am 5'8", 130 lbs and i wouldn't feel too safe hittin' any of the bumps we have here in beantown!!

but yeah, you could get a ti bike down to 16 or 17 lbs and it'd most likely survive a crash. carbon makes me nervous. and aesthetically i don't really care for 'em. they strike me as kinda soulless. that's just me though.:-D :flag:

So, let's take our theoretical titanium bike, fit it out with second-from-the-top components (say, Ultegra) to bring it to, say, 17 pounds, put on a guy who's 150 pounds and 5'8" - what are the sensations the guy will experience? Someone tell me all the good stuff, someone tell me all the bad stuff, and someone be totally objective - please.

Last edited:

saus

But you're still carrying the same weight. Try exhaling. I bet there's a ton of hot air inside that biker's body of yours - not to mention the extra stash between your ears. Or take a $h!t. Plenty of that in there, too, I bet.:lol:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Now now children, let's behave :) . You both make some valid points. Bruno, taking the waterbottel out of the cage will make the bike lighter. As far as I'm concerned, this is far more important than the weight of the rider. A lighter bike is more responsive making for better performance.

Saus, you are correct, if bruno takes a $hit, he will loose some weight, however, I dont' beleive this to be as important as the weight of the bike :)

Just my 2 cents. :)

saus

Now now children, let's behave :) . You both make some valid points. Bruno, taking the waterbottel out of the cage will make the bike lighter. As far as I'm concerned, this is far more important than the weight of the rider. A lighter bike is more responsive making for better performance.

Saus, you are correct, if bruno takes a $hit, he will loose some weight, however, I dont' beleive this to be as important as the weight of the bike :)

Just my 2 cents. :)

Well, I'll step up to the plate and pick that bone: Failing properly to time the $h!t can make a few miles to the next Porta Potty feel like an eternity. Also, exhaling - VERY important. Try inhaling without it.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Well, I'll step up to the plate and pick that bone: Failing properly to time the $h!t can make a few miles to the next Porta Potty feel like an eternity. Also, exhaling - VERY important. Try inhaling without it.

:p Good points! But the original question was concerning bike wieght, not rider weight or comfort. Hey saus, so did you get much riding in this season?