• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Tupper forced to close

Warp Daddy

Absolutely a screwed up mess and a damn shame that the mtn could not be rehabbed and operated as a regional and packaged accordingly .Greed , vested self interest , enviro Nazi.s and other naysayers all had a hand in creating this debacle . Where in hell are the leaders, UNITERS and doers in this region ??? This narrow minded approach to getting things done is dibilitati no and saps the will of ANY talent to remain in such a negative environment .

Tupper get your act together !

thetrailboss

Staff member
Absolutely a screwed up mess and a damn shame that the mtn could not be rehabbed and operated as a regional and packaged accordingly .Greed , vested self interest , enviro Nazi.s and other naysayers all had a hand in creating this debacle . Where in hell are the leaders, UNITERS and doers in this region ??? This narrow minded approach to getting things done is dibilitati no and saps the will of ANY talent to remain in such a negative environment .

Tupper get your act together !

You know there is a non-profit that is out there helping small ski areas like Black Mountain of Maine and other small community areas. I wonder if Big Tupper could be one of those areas....

x10003q

The demand is just not there for Big Tupper or the development.

Big Tupper has 1151 vertical feet served by 2 double chairs that are about 600 vertical feet each. The terrain is mostly blue and green with a few short drops. There is no more vertical to be had. It might be 100 acres of terrain and it skis smaller than Butternut. If you are coming from the south you need to drive 1.5 hours of 1 lane in each direction past Gore Mountain (2537 vertical, 430 acres of skiing, gondola, 2 high speed lifts, multiple quads and triples, 90% snowmaking with unlimited water from the Hudson River). Another NYS option from the south is an hour north of Gore - Whiteface/Lake Placid. The 4 areas in the Catskills all have way more terrain and ski way bigger than BT. There are also other choices when coming from the south - The Berkshires and of course Vermont.

For those coming from Syracuse and points west Gore is about 3 hours from Syracuse and Big Tupper is about 3:30 from Syracuse.

Ottawa and Montreal are 3 hours away with lots of single lane. Montreal has much better skiing much closer. Ottawa is also about 3 hours from Lake Placid and about 2:15 from Mt Tremblant and 3:45 from the Eastern Townships of Quebec.

The proposed buildout is over 700 units with lots of slopeside housing. I do not think there will be many skiers interested in paying $200K-$400K for slopeside on BT.

Even if the developer had money - and they don't - there is no way this project ever gets finished. Big Tupper was closed long before the developer arrived. It is too remote and the terrain is obviously not worth the drive.

BT closing is a bummer.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You know there is a non-profit that is out there helping small ski areas like Black Mountain of Maine and other small community areas. I wonder if Big Tupper could be one of those areas....

Mountain Collective to the rescue

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Streamtracker

As someone who is both a skier and a wildlife biologist who has worked in the park, I am deeply troubled by the charges made by Protect against the APA. If these charges are true, the APA has grossly violated its mission to balance development and resource conservation. This mission is mandated by state laws.

If it is true that the APA granted permits without the required wildlife studies, not to mention the 28 other charges, it has strayed from both its mission and the law.

Blame the Enviros as much as you like, but it seems to me it was the APA that screwed up here. Had they handled the permitting process as required by law, the development may have proceeded in some form. Instead the APA faces a lawsuit and developers are faced with uncertainty regarding their project.

Protect has been satisfied with the process that led to other developments in the Adirondacks. So the charge that they are simply enviro-nazis trying to prevent any economic development is nonsense.

I provide the link below for the enviro's POV, not because I necessarily believe the veracity of all their claims, but as a counterpoint to some of the statements made in this thread that characterize Protect as Enviro Nazis. When you start calling people nazis it is usually in place of a well argued position.

http://www.protectadks.org/2012/07/...-lavalleys-flawed-criticisms-of-this-lawsuit/

The Post Standard has a good review of both sides of the issue published a few weeks ago.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/09/tupper_lake_development_projec.html

VR17

Big Tupper won't attract Mountain Collective anytime soon, not until the ACR gives up the ship which should be within the next year or so. Right now Big Tupper fans need to insist the developer(who now has his permit from the APA) to step up and at least open the area this yr even if its only on the same limited basis as the last 3 seasons. Its the least they can do after using the Ski area as a carrot to garner support for their unrealistic project. Problem is they dont have any money and never have.