• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain NH 02/21/15

dlague

We went to Black Mountain for the RSNE day. In the past we have always enjoyed our time there, but for some reason this year was meh! The triple seemed really slow and stopped a lot. The double seemed a little faster but still slow. Never seemed to notice that before. There were not many people there which was good and the conditions were great. However, clearly Black has not gotten as much of the new snow love others have received!

We were skiing with our niece who is technically an intermediate so our runs were limited to that type pf terrain except we brought here down a few easy black trails (Roller Coaster, Big Dipper, Maple Slalom and Maple Slalom Chute) for experience sake. I was giving her lessons and tips which she picked up on quickly. The few glades we skied were in pretty good shape with the exception of a rock or two here and there. We skied Black Forest, Diamond Cut and Lostbo Glades in addition to some unnamed glades that I explored with my son. While we started skiing off the triple, we quickly turned our attention to the Double since terrain there was a little more interesting. Our niece was skiing it good enough and it was challenging her. Maple Slalom was left ungroomed and had powder bumps that were fun. Did not see much for bump trails with the exception of White Knuckle. A short but fun little trail was S-turns - was not much of an "S" more like a single turn on a narrow trail.

After skiing that the past three years, I think that will be one of the tour stops I will skip in the future. Really - we could have used our passes at Cannon and saved ourselves 1.5 hours of driving each way and had a boat load more terrain to ski. Oh well!

Overall, conditions were great, then again where are conditions poor right now. We also enjoyed seeing the Ride and Ski family.

20150221_153403_resized.jpg

20150221_153407_resized.jpg

blue_ox

Conditions were pretty brutal at Cannon on Saturday so you didn't miss much. Tram, Cannonball, and Mitty on wind holds in the afternoon. The type of day Cannon earns it's reputation.

xwhaler

Nice report---u guys made the best of it. I think Black with its southern exposure is best for a spring March day.
Though I've also had some awesome powder days there where the whole mtn is your playground with no lines to speak of.
I have a voucher I may try and use late March up there depending on when they close.

dlague

Conditions were pretty brutal at Cannon on Saturday so you didn't miss much. Tram, Cannonball, and Mitty on wind holds in the afternoon. The type of day Cannon earns it's reputation.

Plus, I heard lots of people for Cannon in any case.