• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blizzard of 93: Where were you?

dmc

We were at Hunter... First time I climbed to the top because the upper lifts weren't running..
Crazy deep...

drjeff

I was at Disney World on Spring break my senior year of college. I remember when the front passed through central Florida. It was mid 80's before the front went through and then mid 40's with strong winds the next day! Not exactly ideal central Florida college spring break weather! Took me 3 extra days (2 in Orlando and 1 in Baltimore) for my multitude of cancelled flights, to get me back to Albany near where I was going to college

hammer

Living in Sacramento CA at the time, heard some about it from relatives back here. Thinking back on it I really should have tried skiing then...

4aprice

Best snowstorm I ever saw on the east coast. I was at home here in NNJ. I can remember the house shaking with the wind and sideways snow+. Only time I ever had to have my driveway plowed as the snowthrower couldn't handle the drifts.

The following Friday I went (think it was the last time I was there) to Mad River Glen. I got stopped in Applachian Gap (rt 17) by Vermont DOT clearing a snow slide. Wasn't held up too long. MRG was off the wall. The top 3/4 of the mountain was like skiing out west. The bottom quarter had ice patchs showing up just to remind me it was NE. The woods were in play big time. It was just the beginning of a epic weekend that included Jay and Stowe. 2 weeks later it was in the 60's with like 10 feet of snow OTG. Best storm ever.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

emmaurice2

It was the first time I'd ever seen snow walls along the side of the road taller than my car. My high school friends and I went to the Poconos, it was the last time I skied with them. I remember it was a blast but don't remember details.

timm

Ironically we were just getting back from a ski trip (that had involved missing school) as it was really picking up. Remember being very excited that we were going to be missing even more school. I trudged over to the state park across the street and attempted to make some turns on the hill but mostly just got stuck because it was so deep and the hill was not steep enough.

HowieT2

living in condo right on the hudson river across from manhattan. The storm was insane.

x10003q

I left for Tahoe (Reno) out of Newark Airport on Friday before the storm hit. We were offered 1st class tickets to give up our seats on Friday and switch to Saturday. That was not happening. We never would have left. Tahoe was awsome that week.

Cornhead

I didn't ski at the time, damn, but I remember driving to work the day before the storm, it was 45 degrees and sunny, I was listening to talk radio, as I pulled into my parking spot I recognized the voice of the caller on the radio, it was my Brother. He was upset that they used the Emergency Broadcast System to warn of the storm, actually they did handle it badly. I remember hearing the warning, we've all heard it a thousand times, bzzzzzzz, followed by, "This is only a test...etc." This time however it said, "This is not a test, details will follow in 30 seconds". My Brother thought the missiles were on their way, like they'd tell us if they were. Anyway, he was the topic of discussion for several days. I think they should have prefaced the warning with, "This is a weather related warning". I've never heard of the system being used for anything before this storm. It took me a couple hours to shovel out of my parking lot the next day. There were bare spots and drifts over my head within yards of each other.

Smellytele

No idea - don't even remember it. I was skiing a lot back then but this storm does not jar any memory. Had a ski house in the North Conway area then so maybe I was skiing but it hit on a Sunday into a Monday so not sure. Maybe Wildcat - maybe I worked Monday. No clue.

Bene288

I was a kid and probably spent those few days sledding and making bad ass snow forts.

Hawkshot99

I had just gotten out of the hospital the day before the storm from a 2 day stay. Missed like 3 days of school because of the storm. I loved playing in the snow, but was not healthy enough to do so, so I sat in my front window the entire time watching all of the neibhorhood kids. My sister kept throwing snowballs at the window to piss me off. I got healthy enough to go play the day the schools reopened, so my mom let me skip school 1 more day to play in the snow.