• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Moutnain, Pa - 1/24/2016

Rowsdower

Just got back from Blue Mountain, the True Mountain.

Was up early to clear off the tail end of the Blizzard of 2016 from the car and then hopped on the PA Turnpike. Roads up were surprisingly good. Turnpike was in great shape and local roads were cleared well enough that I wasn't uncomfortable on the drive up. Speed restrictions remained on the Turnpike but didn't really need them Thought Blue Mountain road over Little Gap would be in worse shape but they did a pretty decent job getting it open again.

Got a parking spot close to the upper lodge and proceed to overpay for my ticket. Oh well I thought, there's two feet of powder to be had, it'll be worth it. The conditions ranged from fantastic (for PA) to great. Started off on Chute to Main Street. Everything was nice and soft. Lots of soft powdery bumps and bits of powder along trails all day.

Blue does have a maintained gladed area. Very small, but pretty fun. Had to be careful not to get too far into the woods. Still pulled up a lot of rocks there and pretty much couldn't move after I went too far. After counting rocks in the woods I took some runs on Challenge and Nightmare, then switched back to Main Street before calling it a day. It got very crowded by mid day. Lines on the high speed lifts were getting over 10 minutes. Surprised how many people made it out.

All told, it was a special day for PA. It will be a long time before we see that much snow again.

slatham

Nice job getting out and getting some. The mid atlantic through PA areas were big winners. Wish I could have gotten somewhere. Any area with that much fresh is worth it.

SkiRay

That is a great little mountain but, have not been there in years. I am sure that with that powder dump, things must have been EPIC. Any photos or video you can share.. In VT - skiing was very good, well covered conditions but, could have used a an additional foot!