• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

booked a big canada trip for february ... must be august

jimk

Yeah, I left out the cons in this thread hijack about Aspen. It's expensive and a little harder to get to than a lot of other US ski areas. But if you can figure those out it's worth it.

Kusty's trip to Canada can be the antidote with the exchange rate so favorable. The Banff/Canmore area has a lot going for it and is relatively cheap.

BodeMiller1

I would have loved to, but flying into aspen wasn’t working for me. More than doubled the flight costs.

and the in-laws are using the Gulfstream that week so we’re sol.
Third world problems, I hope the help will have all of your grapes pealed by Fevstivus. The horror.

KustyTheKlown

pulled an audible. all the el nino ski media clickbait got to me. and the southwest sale cut my airfare cost in half, offsetting the hotel difference.

airbnb 25 min from aspen for 6 nights, hotel in silverthorne for 7 nights. will ski ajax, highlands, snowmass prob 2 2 2, then prob 6 a-basin and 1 winter park. something like that.

actually have friends in colorado who will join for segments. which is nice.

i broke out a spreadsheet. its about $500 more expensive considering hotels, flights, airport cabs, and turo. i'll end up spending a lil more on incidentals bc of USD, but thats ok.

have not been to aspen since i was 20 years old. i'm a much better skier now. it should be swell.

KustyTheKlown

i actually looked at the sunlight trail map today. it looks fun and funky. i also didnt realize it was on indy. maybe 1 day.

the airbnb wasnt instant booking. theres no reason to not approve me but i'd really like to get the email confirming it so i dont need to book the next cheapest place

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Where you flying from? LGA?

hmph. yea. i factored an extra 100 for lga cabs compared to newark cabs. my gf is afraid of driving. its kind of annoying. flight times are conducive to her just driving me and picking me up. traffic is a non-issue, i'm flying out and landing in the 9 pm hour

Smellytele

I am hitting up sunlight (2 day - indy) early Feb, also loveland (2-days bought the $264 4-pack for the wife and I), Beaver creek (1 day - $100 day ticket)and Granby Ranch (2 Day - indy - mostly just skinning up hill there). Not in that order. Granby. Loveland, Sunlight, BC, Loveland again.

jaytrem

CO is kinda temping this year. Kids can get the 6th grade passport and I would get Gems Parent. Would do something like...

Loveland
Monarch
Crested Butte (have Epic pass)
Telluride (I'd have to pay, but kids would be good to go)
Purgatory (and hopefully some Hesperus night skiing)
Powderhorn
Sunlight
Cooper
A-Basin

Only new place for me would be Hesperus. Had to skip some night powder skiing there in order to get to Silverton before the road closed. I forget if they did end up closing it or not.

Would prefer Idaho, kids can get the 6th grade passport for there also. But that's a much bigger pain to get to and more expensive flights. Other thought is Indy and other Maine stuff that week. Already have Alaska booked for March into April and will drive to OH/MI/WI in late Feb, partly for skiing and partly to pick up a pinball machine or two. Looking forward to all of it, especially AK!

Smellytele

CO is kinda temping this year. Kids can get the 6th grade passport and I would get Gems Parent. Would do something like...

Loveland
Monarch
Crested Butte (have Epic pass)
Telluride (I'd have to pay, but kids would be good to go)
Purgatory (and hopefully some Hesperus night skiing)
Powderhorn
Sunlight
Cooper
A-Basin

Only new place for me would be Hesperus. Had to skip some night powder skiing there in order to get to Silverton before the road closed. I forget if they did end up closing it or not.

Would prefer Idaho, kids can get the 6th grade passport for there also. But that's a much bigger pain to get to and more expensive flights. Other thought is Indy and other Maine stuff that week. Already have Alaska booked for March into April and will drive to OH/MI/WI in late Feb, partly for skiing and partly to pick up a pinball machine or two. Looking forward to all of it, especially AK!
Not a fan of purgatory. Take the drive to wolf creek!

jaytrem

Not a fan of purgatory. Take the drive to wolf creek!
Funny, I had one of the best days ever at Purgatory. Fresh tracks all day, it was VERY quiet that day. Actually enjoyed my day there more than Silverton and Wolf Creek. All 3 were powder days.

Curious, what didn't you like?

Smellytele

i guess if you like cruising runs it isn't bad. It skis more like an eastern resort. Like a western version of Sunday River. No open bowl skiing at all.

jaytrem

i guess if you like cruising runs it isn't bad. It skis more like an eastern resort. Like a western version of Sunday River. No open bowl skiing at all.
Makes sense. Bowls for me are take it or leave it. They did have a good amount of steeps and at least a foot and a half of fresh snow. Combine that with a lack of crowds and makes for a great day. Silverton was a cool experience, but we were getting as many run in an hour at Purgatory as we got all day in Silverton. Basically the same snow. Wolf Creek was also quite nice, but lots more people tracking out the fresh snow.

crank

I'd like to do a SoCol ski safari. Telluride, Silverton, Purgatory, Wolf Creek. Could also dip down to New Mexico.

Last edited:

jaytrem

There used to be direct flights to Albuquerque from Newerk. Those are long gone though. Was great for NM trips. Could head right to Sandia for after flight skiing, now they're out of the ski business.

KustyTheKlown

just found a humble but adequate studio apt airbnb slopeside at keystone for $60 less than the super8.

7 min from a-basin, and the proper kitchen will save me a substantial amount in breakfast and dinner costs,

I did do a Wolf creek, Purgatory, Taos trip once that was fun.
Haven't hit Purgatory but Taos to Wolf Creek is such a fun 1-2. Totally different cultures, mountains, etc, you're almost guaranteed to get dumped on at WC, and the drive between the two is probably my favorite in the Rockies till you get up to Canada.