• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Decision- Need input

Madroch

Okay--so I love my 2008 langes-- best boot I have ever owned. Cost me a lot- but the shop was local and the service was great. Now- the liner is starting to get worn (it is a lace up and takes a beating coming in and out of the shell every ski day) and the cost of replacement is 139. Figure I can duct tape the liner for at least a couple of more years. However, I found the entire boot new for 100 bucks online in my size. Do I buy the replacement boot even though I don't need it yet-- and forego the fun of boot shopping in a few years and instead plop on a "new" 2008 model in 2015 or so?

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a no brainer to me. Get the boot that works well for you now, while you still can, especially at that price. Just don't store it in direct sunlight or anything like that, should be fine when you need it that way.

bigbog

Might wanna try getting in touch with a shop/dealer and see if they can order you another liner. Is done all the time, but seeing that it's your boot...might not be a bad idea to get a replacement. Never know when a company will change something in the fit...just for the sake of job security. You know how fat, out-of-shape, wacked out management will sometimes get without changing(ie screwing good-enough up) something for the sake of "improvement"......
$.01

wa-loaf

Replacement liner and spare parts (in case you bust a buckle or something) for $100 is a pretty good deal.

skidbump

Did the same thing on my 2007 nordica speed machine 14's After 100 days liners were gone.Found new liners.Again after 100 days liners were gone so i ordered some intuition free styles "liner with a tongue"they were $150.After another 100 days ""about 300 total days" shells were pretty shot so i found a pair of used"about 5 days" for 150 and sold the stock liners for 50.Now after grinding and blowing out to match i had essentially the same boot. 2nd season on new shell but i think i am going to shit can them next yr and get new boots.
SO i made my initial investment of about 700 plus stock liners at 65 intuitions at 150 and new shells for 100..little over 1000 for my boots vs 450 days of skiing.
I did try new version but last wasnt the same .

Madroch

yup.. they were costly- 800 or so from local shop after discount????? Lange doesn't make this exact model anymore... has a couple models that are close... same shell design/mold/last.. but with "improvements" and softer... not that softer would be a bad thing...at least in my case....

Think I need to get them... I never even factored in the replacement parts theory....

Now... where do I sleep tonight after I order them?

bigbog

I think there's always room in the couple of rentals above the Black Frog(pub/restaurant...Greenville, ME) as well as the Indian Hill Motel(just outside of downtown Greenville(ME))....:grin:

wa-loaf

Think I need to get them... I never even factored in the replacement parts theory....

Actually I think if you bust something on the original pair you move to the new ones and then canibalize the old pair as needed.