• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot liner modification for squished and frozen toes

daverissin

Has anyone cut the liners of their boots to make more room for their toes?

I had Surefoot custom liners but they no longer fit because I broke my ankle in the summer and now have to switch to the stock liners. My toes get frozen in the stock liners, I think because the liner is a bit too small. I was going to get some new Intuition liners, but before spending the money on them I wanted to try to vertically cut around the toe box area of the liner and then duct-tape to seal shut. That would give my toes some wriggle room in an attempt to keep the blood flowing a bit better.

Has anyone tried this?

crank

No but it sounds reasonable to me. My xc boots have duct tape wrapped around the toes, mainly to help hold the sole on. I find they are warmer with the tape so I think you will be fine.

speden

One thing that helped me on a pair of boots was cutting out the elastic material in the liner above the mid foot. It was squeezing too tight at the mid foot and preventing good blood flow to my toes.

Another thing you could try is thinner socks.

Hawkshot99

The size, and shape of the toe box is not what is leading to you having cold feet. Your foot is being squeezed too tightly preventing the blood from getting all the way to the toes. This could be all the way up at your calf or somewhere else in your foot. It may be that your boots are fitting to Loosely, and so you are cranking Down super tight with the buckles. It can be a number of factors, but I highly doubt it is the shape of your toe box.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

With how much surefoot liners cost, if you brought them back and explained that a broken ankle has caused them to not fit correctly I would think they would try and fix them for you for free or at least a highly reduced rate. Can't hurt to try.

Jully

The size, and shape of the toe box is not what is leading to you having cold feet. Your foot is being squeezed too tightly preventing the blood from getting all the way to the toes. This could be all the way up at your calf or somewhere else in your foot. It may be that your boots are fitting to Loosely, and so you are cranking Down super tight with the buckles. It can be a number of factors, but I highly doubt it is the shape of your toe box.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

This. I've found that toe boxes are the most forgiving fit of a lot of ski boots! Like others said, the midfoot area near the ankle is my worst spot.

njdiver85

From experience, if the liner is too tight in the toes, you will have pain near outside edges of your big and/or little toe nails. This can be fixed by heating the liner enough to soften up the rubber seams then stretch, cutting some of the stitching, or heating and punching. But frozen toes are a problem usually from compression further up the foot.