• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston Ski & Snowboard Expo

VTKilarney

I'm debating making the three hour trip to the Expo this year.

For those who have gone, is it worth a trip?

What discounts can you get that are good ones?

VTKilarney

What the heck is going on in Boston that weekend? Hotel rates are INSANE!

Edit: The American College of Rheumatology is having their annual meeting in Boston that weekend. Estimated attendance is 18,000, which is big for Boston. The next biggest convention between now and then is 10,000 people - and most are less than 5,000. For those of you who were wondering, the Boston Open Same Sex Ballroom Dance Competition on October 11th has an estimated attendance of 300.

Last edited:

drjeff

I look at it this way. If it's the dreaded warm early season and there's little.no skiing available the dates of the snow expo, it's worth going. If the snow on the hill is decent, you're better off getting out on the hill and making some turns, as over the past few years, both the amount and quality of the merchandise available for sale IMHO has decreased and the number of discounts and quality of them offered up by various resorts has tended to be both less in quantity and less in value. Worst case, I always enjoy going to Boston for a day(s)

As for the WTF is up with the rates of rooms with respect to conventions, annually the biggest convention in Boston is the end of January/beginning of February (prime ski season!) when me and about 25-30,000 of my closest dental colleague friends descend upon the convention and expo center in the South End! :eek:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
So it's Thursday, November 13 through Sunday, November 16, 2014 which is when my company is busiest. We'll probably be providing quite a few research posters for the The American College of Rheumatology.

Anyway, probably worth it if you can get there early for some free passes. Although I heard there weren't as many last year as in previous. If you're picking up a the CHAD Ski and Ride card you get an 2 free passes instead of one as when ordering online.

If you can manage - make it a day trip unless there's something else you'd like to do in Boston like see Paul Anka - oh wait - that's the previous weekend.

Edd

The worthiness of a day trip to that event is debatable, IMO. Staying in a hotel for it without an additional great reason is out of the question. I used to go every year for stoke but I'd never go for the event alone now. You're lucky to score any passes and the deals on gear aren't anything to get excited about.

VTKilarney

Hmm... given hotel rates it sounds like a pass. If it's a great weekend weather-wise I may reconsider, since we can always do other things in Boston. Thanks for the heads up!

Cannonball

It's a half hour drive for me. I've gone a few times. It's never been worth the trip.

Mostly it's an excuse to head into boston and go somewhere else for a few beers.

Smellytele

I have gone the last 4 or 5 years with the whole family. It is something to do before the season really gets going for us. Usually juts get a bunch of 2fers (half which I never use) sign up for a bunch of stuff - wife won a white out holiday pass from Magic last year which came in handy and got her motivated to go a few times. kids gather posters and stickers and get some autographs (Plake, Wescott and others). I am only a little over an hour so it isn't bad but wouldn't do it if I had to get a hotel room to do it.

Tin

Last year they had SS Headwall, Skyelark, Skyehawk, and other stuff open by then. Why be inside looking at ski stuff? lol

dlague

We have been going to the Ski and Snowboard Show over ten years and you have to take it for what it is a marketing event. Do some resorts give away comps, yes - but it does not come easy - you have to talk to them and show interest. More often there a many 2 fer deals that have black out dates, or pre purchase opportunities to buy lift tickets as individual tickets or pairs, three packs and quad packs at good discounted rates. Even discounted vacation packages.

Some example lift ticket deals that I recall were Bolton Valley Quad pak for $99, Okemo Triple for $149, Burke/Jay Triple for $149, Pats Peak 2 for $70, Tremblant 2 for $44 and even Killington had something going on for the Show.

My wife and I now work a booth there all four days so I have a chance to find deals - honestly last year did not seem as good as shows in the past and it certainly had fewer giveaways. The most popular giveaway besides posters and stickers was Pay for 1 Adult, and Child Skis Free. It is fun to talk to the different resorts, watch some of the activities, find stuff to decorate the office with and get stoked for the next season. While we will work the booth this year, deal hunting will not be a focus because we went the season pass route.

Thursdays, giveaways are tight. Sundays giveaways are easier but a lot depends on how the show went. There is a ski shop set up there but deals there are hit or miss too!

boston_e

It's not worth the 3 hour drive IMO, unless you want to use it as an excuse to come to the city for the weekend and would plan to do other stuff the city offers while you are down here.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I went last year, it was fun but I was also meeting a lot of the marketing reps that I talk too in the off season and putting faces to names. They don't give out all that much -y ou might get stickers and stuff but real discounted lift passes and giveaways are a rarity. One rep (to remain anonymous) said that the margins are just so low nowadays they can't afford it and visitors come to the booth with a real "C'mon, just give me a ticket!" and leave pissed off often.

It's fun but 3 hours one way is quite a hike, for sure.

I probably will go again this year. Make sure to bump this thread so we can meet up !

timm

I go most every year but I work (and previously lived) in the city. Even living within commuting distance of Boston I don't think I would make a special trip to the city for it.

I definitely would not travel any distance for it unless you did it as part of a larger weekend visit.