• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boyne going BIG again with Doppelmayr at Big Sky

thetrailboss

Staff member
No surprise there
BS/Boyne are probably rightfully pissed. I can only imagine what those multi-millionaire/billionaire homeowners at Moonlight Basin will think if this lift is delayed in opening. It's pretty much the only way out of the MB base area to access the rest of BS without driving.

BodeMiller1

Wow, crazy video, thankfully everyone is alright. That cross arm looks huge compared to the chopper, Chinook? Maybe these lifts are getting to be too big to handle.
Sometimes you have to ditch the chopper to save the lift?

machski

Bump. Accident today at Big Sky destroyed one of the cross-arms. Luckily nobody was hurt. No idea if this will delay things—I imagine it will. Doppelmayr had a similar rigging accident two years ago at Snowbird that destroyed a Tram cabin and caused a 4 month delay. Boyne will not be happy. I’d imagine with a big customer like Boyne that Doppelmayr is going to move heaven and earth to get this fixed.

Yes, I remember the crane dumping the cabin at Snowbird while hanging it on the track ropes. Honestly, a 4 month delay on a new TRam Cabin really isn't bad considering those things are custom built from scratch. My guess is that while the crossarms are built in Austria, those are not custom parts and a new one can be fabricated much faster. Given the docks are all back open currently, the biggest delay will just be shipping it over. But they could fly that over I bet with one of the heavy lift cargo outfits if they chose to.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, I remember the crane dumping the cabin at Snowbird while hanging it on the track ropes. Honestly, a 4 month delay on a new TRam Cabin really isn't bad considering those things are custom built from scratch. My guess is that while the crossarms are built in Austria, those are not custom parts and a new one can be fabricated much faster. Given the docks are all back open currently, the biggest delay will just be shipping it over. But they could fly that over I bet with one of the heavy lift cargo outfits if they chose to.
I would not be surprised if they resort to this given it is Boyne and this is Big Sky, which is the flagship for both Boyne and Doppelmayr lifts.

skithetrees

It might not even need a special plane to fly over. I bet it breaks down into decent enough pieces that a regular flight on a cargo carrier would do. If people ship cars on regular cargo flights, surely they can do this. Putting it on a boat could take a month in addition to manufacturing time between customs, boat schedules, port handling times, availability, etc.

drjeff

I am also guessing that another option might be that the exact plans and if needed, components for fabrication could be sent from the Dopp plant in Austria over to the Dopp plant in the SLC area, and the fabrication of that 1 replacement cross arm might be able to be done there, and then loaded onto a flatbed and driven up to Big Sky.

Now getting a heavy lift helicopter at the specific time they need it, might be a bigger logistical challenge

kbroderick

I am also guessing that another option might be that the exact plans and if needed, components for fabrication could be sent from the Dopp plant in Austria over to the Dopp plant in the SLC area, and the fabrication of that 1 replacement cross arm might be able to be done there, and then loaded onto a flatbed and driven up to Big Sky.

Now getting a heavy lift helicopter at the specific time they need it, might be a bigger logistical challenge
I've seen elsewhere that the replacement will be fabricated in the US to avoid impacting winter operations. I'm not a lift engineer, but it doesn't seem like fabrication of a cross arm would be hugely challenging even if they had to outsource to someone who regularly did larger structural stuff.

machski

I've seen elsewhere that the replacement will be fabricated in the US to avoid impacting winter operations. I'm not a lift engineer, but it doesn't seem like fabrication of a cross arm would be hugely challenging even if they had to outsource to someone who regularly did larger structural stuff.
Yeah, I could see that the cross arm itself could be fabricated over here at either Dopp USA or some other metal fabricating company. I would be imagine the sheave trains were trashed too and those likely need to get made over in Austria. But that is a much smaller cargo shipment than the entire cross arm and lifting frame.