• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breckenridge 01/21/17

dlague

Breckeridge

Conditions: Mostly soft PP

Trip Report:

We started the weekend with the idea that we would go to Keystone and A Basin on Saturday and Sunday respectively. As the norm would have it, on Saturday I-70 looked backed up with +30 added to the drive due to traffic issues around Idaho Springs and Georgetown. So we waited it out for a bit and then with no changes in traffic opted to go the back way and ski Breckenridge. That did not work out so well. We went to the Gondola lots and they were full with a line of cars waiting for people to leave. We then drove to the Airport lot only to arrive at a Full Lot sign and they were redirecting traffic even further away to the college campus lot that ran a bus every 15 minutes. We had never experienced this thus far – come to find out there was a rollover accident on Vail Pass shutting down all lanes. In addition, they supposedly set a new record for kid’s attendance in their programs. Basically – it was the perfect storm of people. From the time we arrived in Breck, to gearing up, to getting on the shuttle, to riding the Gondola to finally start skiing we killed over an hour and we hadn’t eaten yet. The only saving grace – there were no real lift lines.

We skied a few runs – one to get to Peak 9 and then a couple more there before we ate at Copper Top. We ate and enjoyed the blues band while we planned where we would ski. Our focus was on the Falcon Super Chair.

After lunch we took Quicksilver and heading to that lift we were inundated by beginners and my wife was not happy. Actually felt dangerous. But we got on the lift and then skied over to Falcon. As we rode up the lift was were excited about trying another new area at Breck (Peak 10). Peak 10 offers up steeper runs and every run is listed as black. We skied 4 runs there and two (Crystal and Centennial) where groomed with steeper pitches but nothing to write home about. They really skied like steeper blue trails. The next two were more interesting – Doublejack which followed a similar line as the other two was left alone with moderate bumps sometimes tighter bumps around pitch changes. Corsair – was a very consistent bump run with very nice pitch. The bumps were soft with occasional firm spots. Our last run was on Crystal which also had a few icy for Colorado spots. We headed from the top of Peak 10 to Mercury Super Chair to ski a couple runs there.

From Mercury, we skied Cashier which is just a really nice groomer with superb PP that skied very quiet and then skied American which was a bump trail last time we were there but it got groomed out which was fine. Skiing down American we targeted the Peak 8 Super Connect lift which allow us to complete out after noon with a few runs there. While riding on that lift, I could not help but think about the Bump Thread. The area in the Peak 8 Super Connect after the mid pickup point is strictly natural bump runs - a boat load. This area is served not only by this lift but by 6 Chair and E Chair and if you like bumps – well you can ski bumps to your heart’s content not to mention a lot of interesting glades and some very steep runs. This area is yet another area that we have not explored and when we do it will be a couple at a time.

We skied a couple runs on Peak 8 where we found another bump run that was groomed out (Spruce). While it is a black trail, I would consider that generally an intermediate bump run that is good to learn on. Our closing run was on Crescendo which was a good cruising run which was also in great shape. The last ride up Colorado Super Chair was to ski back to town on 4 O’clock and while we had not seen the traffic control minions (they are yellow) all day, on our way back they were out in force. There had to be nearly a dozen. This made me nervous due to their attraction to my son, but we had in down without any infractions.

After getting back to the car we drove into town and walked around and ate dinner and a place called The Dredge which was a dredge from the gold rush days. Where it rests to day was it final working location. Tried something new – rattlesnake! Breckenridge really is a beautiful town to walk around and one of the nicest ski towns IMO. You literally see people walking around with their skis and boards at the end of the day and has quite the apres ski scene.

Corsair

a9e6a1801505904264f2563b002f317a.jpg

Crystal
2defe04ce61302c949aa4019611df82b.jpg

Simple playful glade

93650add703121df32fcf25203b4f993.jpg

Started snowing like crazy

8617e6ea805b2572f8da534afc960717.jpg

Under the Super Connect

33549d943335440cca2a49359c0f24af.jpg

Last edited:

4aprice

I spent one rockin afternoon in a snowstorm off that E-Chair. Probably my favorite memory of skiing there.

Your worrying me with the I-70 talk. Going to have to plan around that for trip #1 in 2 weeks.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

I spent one rockin afternoon in a snowstorm off that E-Chair. Probably my favorite memory of skiing there.

Your worrying me with the I-70 talk. Going to have to plan around that for trip #1 in 2 weeks.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Those are some steep bump runs for sure. Across the way on 6 Chair are lots of good trails as well.

We actually have not had too many problems until the past couple weekends. From what I have experienced before January is fine after March is fine too. I have not been here during January February and March so I will try to figure it out. So far I noticed that between 7 and 9:30 ish I 70 can be tough on Saturdays and a little bit better on Sundays. Sunday nights are very hard going towards Denver. We hen you factor in weather and the weekend Vail Pass is problematic. Midweek seems to not be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

How has your experience with the yellow jackets at the Vail properties been?
Son got stopped there! I had to talk the guy out of giving a ticket. Did a verbal warning instead. Told him it was our first time there. They hang out around choke points and slow signs. I have only seen that at Peak 8 at Breck and mostly where the trails become greens.

snoseek

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yeah that echair serves up some dreamy storm day skiing for sure.

285 and over hoosier pass will get you there. Its longer but you get to avoid the 70 shitshow and it takes you right into Breck

dlague

Yellow jackets are only on the greens and blues. *hint hint*
Ya we saw the signs. However, we have rarely seen them on blues. I had a chair lift ride up with one and they said the real issue is not so much with experienced skiers (although they are the people most likely to get busted) but with newer skier who get spooked easily by faster skiers and boarders.

You do see several billboards for Skilaw.com and vailinjuries.com. that says a lot.

dlague

Yeah that echair serves up some dreamy storm day skiing for sure.

285 and over hoosier pass will get you there. Its longer but you get to avoid the 70 shitshow and it takes you right into Breck
From Denver to Breck that is a route to consider for sure. Comparing the two routes there is about a 20 minute difference, but if I-70 has any issues then 285 to Fairplay then to Breck could be faster.

Note: if considering Vail or Beaver, Vail Pass gets pretty messed up is it is snowing and lots of accidents occur going into Vail Valley.

If you rent a vehicle consider something with AWD or 4WD otherwise get chains and deal with that PITA.

Last edited:

snoseek

me too! The conditions have been so consistent here. Reminds me of the 2014-2015 season back east when it stayed cold.

That's the best part...its not so much about the snow totals its that the snow doesn't really melt and rain in winter is super rare. Hell rain between oct 1 and may 1 is rare up in summit. Just those little touch up mini storms every so often makes everything perfect again

dlague

That's the best part...its not so much about the snow totals its that the snow doesn't really melt and rain in winter is super rare. Hell rain between oct 1 and may 1 is rare up in summit. Just those little touch up mini storms every so often makes everything perfect again
That is spot on. Over the next couple days (W,Th) there will be 3-6 inch touch ups after a couple 6-10 inch days (M, Tu). It has been fun to experience. Totally different from vacationing here.