• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods Expansion Update Photos

4aprice

BW isn't my home mountain but I spend a surprising amount of time talking them up. I think people would be amazed at how much terrain they do NOT groom.

Very well put Edd. I happen to like Bretton Woods too. I also like Loon, Waterville, Okemo, and Stratton though none of them are that challanging. Skiing is not all about steeps for me and when I do want them there's Northern Vermont and Cannon to be had.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bdfreetuna

Didn't realize until now a preference for steeper/tougher terrain makes one an elitist.

Only been to Bretton Woods once but IMO they are pushing it by even labeling any of their runs as black diamonds. As I remember almost all the runs were groomed and almost all the trails were so similar (wide, winding, not steep).

Now if somebody happened to be one of those wide/green-blue/groomer loving elitists ... one of those people who think they're just too good for bumps and above the notion of steeps .. I expect they would disagree with my assessment.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yeah, no going 75 mph at BW from what I'm told ;)

regarding trail ratings, trail ratings at all areas are scaled for that particular area. There's not some national standard of measuring difficulty.

Last edited:

4aprice

Didn't realize until now a preference for steeper/tougher terrain makes one an elitist.

Preferring steeper/tougher terrain does not make one an elitist. Telling someone their choice of recreation venue sucks because its not your cup of tea does. I have skied all over the east and west and some in Europe. Spent plenty of time on very steep and tough terrain and loved it. I also enjoy skiing runs such as Rangeview at Bretton which is (gasp) a green circle.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

MadPadraic

In a lot of ways, BW is more hardcore because they work what they have. Nothing steep? Build glades and leave things ungroomed. Steeps are for pansies who know their technique looks like crap on more accessible terrain. :sadwalk:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This thread is soooooo core!!!
Yup, SO core! Now even BW is more "core" than other mountains! I see this thread has even resulted in ad hominem attacks against skiers that prefer steep terrain over BW, wow! CORE!

Denigrate the stuff you don't care for, build up the stuff you do. Seriously guys? Nice pics to the OP. How about we discuss how cool it is that a fricking brand new T-bar is being built! Nice! That really IS core! We all know BW is flat as a pancake and the terrain isn't new, and the glades being accessed by this lift would be blue square glades at most other mountains. Who the heck cares? Yes, BW is going to market this as a cool expert steep terrain pod. And it is... at least by BW standards. No need to attack the area or other skiers or may or may not prefer BW or other areas. It doesn't make for good discussion or good argument, it just makes you look bad for posting it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
well said Riv.

Even though I'm not a BW skier, I think such development should be heavily applauded. What would people have rather seen? A detach quad servicing wide low angle groomers?

Throw out the lack of pitch and this is a very progressive form of ski area development. How many other areas in the East have opened a lift serviced entirely gladed terrain pod recently if ever? No one that I can think of. That's pretty "core" in my book.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yup, SO core! Now even BW is more "core" than other mountains! I see this thread has even resulted in ad hominem attacks against skiers that prefer steep terrain over BW, wow! CORE!

Denigrate the stuff you don't care for, build up the stuff you do. Seriously guys? Nice pics to the OP. How about we discuss how cool it is that a fricking brand new T-bar is being built! Nice! That really IS core! We all know BW is flat as a pancake and the terrain isn't new, and the glades being accessed by this lift would be blue square glades at most other mountains. Who the heck cares? Yes, BW is going to market this as a cool expert steep terrain pod. And it is... at least by BW standards. No need to attack the area or other skiers or may or may not prefer BW or other areas. It doesn't make for good discussion or good argument, it just makes you look bad for posting it.

Agreed. My comments were only meant to ask what the terrain looked like because I recall their marketing portraying this as the experts only area. That's all. I didn't realize that I was being an elitest asking the question about an area that others consider to be elitest, if I got that right. :lol: Anyways, I skied BW last April and I had a good day. It is what it is. I think that the previous ownership invested a ton of money into it and really made it the Deer Valley of NH and the current ownership is investing again. A T-Bar is cool...says something about their target instead of a HSQ. We'll see what happens.

Folks here either probably don't remember, or weren't here, when BW had their marketing person on here making direct contacts with folks and pushing the fact that they were staying open very late and offering a good price for day tickets. Elitest or not, they were interested in having folks here ski there and were open. I think that gets props.

snoseek

For the record I wasn't making fun of Bretton Woods, rather the coreness of this thread.

I held a Bold and Beautiful for a few years. It allowed me to take my then Girlfriend and turn her on to skiing and also ski lots with my father who is a great skier but just wants to ski low angle pow. Having Cannon to back it up was clutch but honestly I had many many fun days figuring out that place and all its little short fun spots. It was also a very inviting place for her to learn and progress.

MadPadraic

For the record I wasn't making fun of Bretton Woods, rather the coreness of this thread.

He was annoyed with me for gently poking fun at those who look down at areas because they are too flat/commercial/whatever. I'm rather looking forward to checking out new terrain this season--be it at Bretton Woods or Kirkwood.

snoseek

He was annoyed with me for gently poking fun at those who look down at areas because they are too flat/commercial/whatever. I'm rather looking forward to checking out new terrain this season--be it at Bretton Woods or Kirkwood.

Oh I have some fun stuff at Kirkwood to show you!!!