• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: 3/14/08

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: March 14, 2008

2006 Trip Report #: 46

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG/SC

Weather: Partly cloudy, becoming sunny. Mild, with temps in the 30’s.

Trip Report: A nice afternoon at Burke. Got there at 12 noon and took some spins…first run was down Powderhorn, which I felt skied nicely. It was soft but yet I was able to fly down it. Next run was down Bear Den to Meadows and then down Lower Willoughby, which was very nice and soft. The pitch is perfect for soft conditions. I did hit East Bowl and love the rolls…but the runout was a bit slow. I did Carriage Road to Dippers…nice.

After a brief break, I headed back out and did Fox’s to Meadows and Lower Bear Den to Lower Warren’s to do some Poma spins. Good choice. I found the Upper Warren’s to be stellar…worth three spins…the headwall was amazing…not too soft, not too firm. It allowed one to confidently charge down the steepest pitch without fear of hitting ice. I did some variations off the headwall—hitting Lower Bear Den, Fox’s and McHarg’s. The Poma is a great way to get a lot of runs in a short amount of time.

IMG_1206.JPG

I closed with a spin down Shoot to Upper Warren’s and McHarg’s.

A nice afternoon. Conditions softened nicely….

The gallery.

madskier6

Nice! It looks like they recovered pretty well from the previous week's rain events. I was at Burke on Friday 3/7 & Sat 3/8. Still had a lot of fun but there was lots of crusty surfaces on the ungroomed terrain. Friday 3/7 was a great Spring skiing day spent almost exclusively on the groomers. Saturday 3/8 was a skiing in the rain day, which wasn't so bad until about 2:30 when it really started to rain hard. We were soaked at that point & had to call it a day. Still enjoyed my time at Burke but wished I had been able to ski some of the woods trails.

I'm glad to hear conditions have improved.