• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: Town Meeting Day Turns. 3/4/08

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: March 4, 2008

Resort: Burke

Conditions: VC (ice above Poma MidStation, soft below)

Weather: Cloudy and mild. Showers in the afternoon.

2007-2008 Trip Report #: 42

Trip Report: Another tough day. I was debating between MidBurke and Sherburne. Decided to go to MidBurke. I was the only guy there...literally. Got out and took the Quad to the top. Found that the runs had not been groomed. I skied Powderhorn and found it to be quite firm and difficult....until the second knoll...and then it softened a bit. Dipper Doodle was OK. It was rough...very firm and icy. I took a spin down Willoughby side...it was very fast :-? I found some very soft snow when I cut over to McHarg's. That run has been a gem this season...well groomed and usually not well traveled.

Took another spin up top...hitting Carriage Road to Dippers and then I headed to the bottom. The snow was a bit too damp down there...and it was slow...so I hit each run once or twice and enjoyed the soft snow and hero turns.

So I braved the summit again and found that the freezing line was dropping...the narrow east side trails seemed to handle the thaw better....not as much ice. Now they have not lost any snow...it was just slick.

I used the Poma to hit Lower Warren's, Fox's, Lower Bear Den, and McHarg's several times...

A Buttery McHarg's

IMG_1067.JPG

Upper Warren's was worth a couple spins, but the last one was tough...very icy. I cut over to Doug's in an attempt to hit Mountain Marsh and those trails, but I jumped out just below the cutoff. Lower Doug's: not bad, but a bit wet.

So I pulled the plug at around noon. A good morning of turns...but nothing like over the weekend regrettably...

HERE is the gallery for the weekend.

Last edited: