• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke's Glades?

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I'm planning a trip to Burke and I've never been there when the glades were open. I hear they are now. Can anyone tell me how coverage is? And can anyone give me some recommendations or insight? Which ones shouldn't I miss? Which ones aren't too tight? Thanks!

xwhaler

I skied Burke for the 1st time last year the 2nd wknd in March....we really liked it. The glades were open but a bit thin in places so I didn't ski all of them. The ones on the East Bowl side seemed to be more open and more ledgy (drops followed by flatter sections)
I enjoyed Caveman and Dixiland the best I think.
Didn't ski Birches or The Jungle on the west side which I think are tighter and steeper.

Have fun!

wa-loaf

Send FromTheNEK a PM ... he gives a great locals tour ...

thetrailboss

Staff member
+ 1 on FTN. Most of the ones on the East Bowl are tighter than the ones on the other side...save The Jungle which is pretty tight. Birches opens up nicely. Marshland is a low-key favorite of mine. Y-Knot is short and sweet.

dmw

I'm hitting Burke for the first time Sunday myself, so this thread is of particular interest... I know there was a thread last year I saved some text from - if you Google the following phrase you'll find it "Here is a progressive list of glades at Burke:" I'm sure it's not every bit of knowledge, but a start.

I'm wondering just how bad the East Bowl run out is on a snowboard - can anyone speak to that? I think I even saw somewhere on the Burke site "not snowboard friendly".

The Sneak

The Glades at burke are so great. Jungle is no joke though. One time I bit it, lost a ski...crawled through the pow to find it, only to realize I was in the boughs of a tree.

The glades on the other side are just super enjoyable. Here's me last year taking a run thru Caveman:

If the coverage is good...that new chair will let you lap those glades all day and it will be epic.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I haven't been skiing much this year. However, reports I have been getting are that the coverage is still kind of thin. Caveman, Dixieland and Throbulator probably have the best coverage (the very top of both Dixiland and Throbulator have some rocks to watch out for). Birches may be ok but I'm guessing Jungle has a lot of exposed rock. I haven't tried any of the new glades that just went on the map this year (Hibernator, Wayne World, and Scooby Doo).
I'm trying to get clearance to ski tomorrow :)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm hitting Burke for the first time Sunday myself, so this thread is of particular interest... I know there was a thread last year I saved some text from - if you Google the following phrase you'll find it "Here is a progressive list of glades at Burke:" I'm sure it's not every bit of knowledge, but a start.

I'm wondering just how bad the East Bowl run out is on a snowboard - can anyone speak to that? I think I even saw somewhere on the Burke site "not snowboard friendly".

The runout difficultly depends on how much speed you carry out of the last pitch, whether the runout has been groomed and how icy it is. Hardpack/icy equals easier exit. Freash/soft snow equal polling or unstrapping a foot. This weekends weather sound like it will be somewhere in between.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
The glades on the other side are just super enjoyable.

What do you mean "on the other side?" Can you tell me where this would be?

And from_the_NEK, if you get out to ski there tomorrow, could you please report back and let us know how the glades are doing? I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

octopus

i think i rode the birches a few years ago. whatever it was, it was steep and tight. the condition it was in, thin and icy, was not super fun for snowboarding.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Unless you're a masochist, do not do EB on a snowboard. The bottom runout is probably a mile long and very flat.

dmw

Unless you're a masochist, do not do EB on a snowboard. The bottom runout is probably a mile long and very flat.

Thanks, this answers my follow up question of how long the flat is... Long. Which is unfortunate since it looks like great terrain over there. Maybe I'll try the closer in options over there and see how masochistic it is - like maybe from Throbulator over?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd start with Throbulator and if you don't mind the run out from there, Caveman isn't that much further of a run out. I've seen boarders out on Dixie land and East Bowl. I guess it just depends on your tolerance for walking.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree with dhs. Dixiland dumps in pretty far out and you have to endure possibly some more walking assuming you don't get a lot of speed or cut through the woods. You might be able to bushwhack riders left before the very bottom heading towards the power line to save some aggravation.

troy

this is absolute BS, do not listen to this as its total horse-you-know-what. depends on the base and right now you will glide out no problemo form anywhere. if you know how to ride there is no paddlin' required (unless its a powder day and even then if you know how to ride you not gonna paddle) and not checking-in the east bowl glades out is the dummest thing you could do a burke(espesh dixieland its a travesty at burke). i mean where els eu gonna ride?

coverage is thin in the glades but good enough and better than most areas anyways. as for tightness, nothing is really tight maybe the top of jungle and top of sasq, but maybe and certainly not tight for many. the only tight glades on burke are not marked like firburger but your not gonna find it anyways so no worries there. top of scooby is snug but nuttin major. nothing really tight, go for it, they rock!

thetrailboss

Staff member
this is absolute BS, do not listen to this as its total horse-you-know-what. depends on the base and right now you will glide out no problemo form anywhere. if you know how to ride there is no paddlin' required (unless its a powder day and even then if you know how to ride you not gonna paddle) and not checking-in the east bowl glades out (espesh dixieland its a travesty at burke). i mean where els eu gonna ride?

coverage is thin in the glades but good enough and better than most areas anyways. as for tightness, nothing is really tight maybe the top of jungle and top of sasq, but maybe and certainly not tight for many. the only tight glades on burke are not marked like firburger but your not gonna find it anyways so no worries there. top of scooby is snug but nuttin major. nothing really tight, go for it, they rock!

Really? You think he will not have to walk at all on a snowboard if he rides the entire East Bowl trail? That was the question--had you read that before just typing. I think you're the one talking bs or hs....

troy

Really? You think he will not have to walk at all on a snowboard if he rides the entire East Bowl trail? I think you're the one talking bs or hs....

yes, i live at burke and ride 5 days a week. when was the last time you rode burke ol'timer?

thetrailboss

Staff member
yes, i live at burke and ride 5 days a week. when was the last time you rode burke ol'timer?

Doesn't matter. His question was East Bowl and there is a consensus here (even you agree because you say "it depends" and then waffle). And fwiw I grew up at Burke and adhere to the local custom of skiing rather than talking a big game or being a jackass.