• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 1/17/15

dlague

The weekend plan was to ski Cannon both Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday the drizzle was arriving to soon so we chilled! Saturday, however, was almost perfect. The temps when we arrived were -5 at the base and -16 at the summit around 9. While that does sound cold and it was - the sun helped a little and I think the real feel was a little higher. It was a bluebird sky kind of morning and clouded up some in the afternoon.

We decided that we would head up to the summit via the Tram and started off by going up Peabody and then skied under the chair over to Extension. That was a bit of a mistake. There were snow making whales there and that trail sucked. However we then continued down, Avalanche, then cut over to Jasper to the Tram. We skied down Upper Cannon then back up to the summit and skied it again (it was that awesome) before going down and skiing lower mountain runs for a bit from the the Eagle Cliff Chair. We would eventually head in to warm up for a bit before heading back out.

When we headed back out we ran into some friends (one cannot be missed with a super long white beard) and made another shot at the Tram but not until making several runs from the Zoomer Chair skiing Avalanche, Pauli's and Zoomer. Zoomer and Pauli's were awesome but Avalanche was pretty skied off down the middle but there was snow pushed to both sides that was not bad. I fail to under stand how that trail with all the cold we have had got to icy - bad water air mix? In any case we took the tram to the top and headed down Ravine which was starting to get scrapped off on the turns then headed to the lodge for adult beverages and lunch. We ran into Puck it who introduced me to DHS and we also talked to Cannonball where the wife intro's were made. Sad - well not really - that we did not make runs with any of them but there is plenty of winter left.

We spend the after noon lapping the Tram skiing down Tram Line, Vista and Upper Cannon (got very scraped off in the afternoon) and getting over to By Pass then to Rocket or Gary's up Zoomer then down one of the front whatever - my favorite was Pauli's. It was very fun to lap the Tram that way. On one of the runs down Zoomer I caught up to a few (and I am not that fast at bumps) and it masses with you a bit. Actually had to stop and then pick a line to get by them.

Overall, it was a great day of skiing. We have been to Cannon 6-7 times this season so far and due to the way the opened terrain, it feels like a different skiing experience each time. I am looking forward to more natural snow there! So pray to the snow gods!

I have yet to visit the Zoomer bar!

Tram Shot
10734056_10205652095363108_4464834720232196456_n.jpg

Under Zoomer Chair
10888468_10205652094643090_5892389397315468802_n.jpg

Zoomer
10920900_10205652093723067_8335213184815705334_n.jpg

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Sounds like a fun cold day. I think I can see you guys (taken Saturday) :-D

16301714886_876f9187c0_h.jpg

Cannonball

Awesome pic FtNEK. Views were great on Saturday. We were pointing out the Gap and the backside of Burke to my nephews from the Tram. I think we could see you snapping that pic.

Nice report DL! Glad you wrote it (I didn't feel like it). Good talking with you for a few minutes, too bad we never caught up with you outside. We were juggling my 3 nephews and my brother in-law. He's a beginner and hadn't been out since a significant concussion 3 years ago. So we were taking it easy on him. Glad the wives finally met. Unfortunately mine ended her day with an injury that put her on the DL for Sunday. She bounced back (with caution) on Monday.

As cold as it was, it was actually a much better day than Sunday. Even though Sunday was 40-50 degrees warmer we actually ended up being colder due to the wind and rain at Bretton Woods.

Oh, FYI.... that was JDRoma you were introduced to. DHS was a few weeks ago.

Puck it

Awesome pic FtNEK. Views were great on Saturday. We were pointing out the Gap and the backside of Burke to my nephews from the Tram. I think we could see you snapping that pic.

Nice report DL! Glad you wrote it (I didn't feel like it). Good talking with you for a few minutes, too bad we never caught up with you outside. We were juggling my 3 nephews and my brother in-law. He's a beginner and hadn't been out since a significant concussion 3 years ago. So we were taking it easy on him. Glad the wives finally met. Unfortunately mine ended her day with an injury that put her on the DL for Sunday. She bounced back (with caution) on Monday.

As cold as it was, it was actually a much better day than Sunday. Even though Sunday was 40-50 degrees warmer we actually ended up being colder due to the wind and rain at Bretton Woods.

Oh, FYI.... that was JDRoma you were introduced to. DHS was a few weeks ago.
Tell my peeling nose that!

xwhaler

Nice TR. Any idea/predictions on how far away Mittersill is to re open? Looking to to come up next wknd

Cannonball

Nice TR. Any idea/predictions on how far away Mittersill is to re open? Looking to to come up next wknd

I didn't go over there, but it can't be far off. Lots of on-map woods opened up officially yesterday, including some that need more coverage than Mittersill. Also talked to guys poaching some much more challenging stuff. The only caveat is that Cannon-proper has had an all out snowmaking frenzy for the past few weeks. That's been so aggressive that it's actually filled in the woods. The same can't be said for Mitt.

dlague

Tell my peeling nose that!

I am lucky - my face takes the cold really well so the cold is generally not a distraction. I thought the sun helped a lot.

I didn't go over there, but it can't be far off. Lots of on-map woods opened up officially yesterday, including some that need more coverage than Mittersill. Also talked to guys poaching some much more challenging stuff. The only caveat is that Cannon-proper has had an all out snow making frenzy for the past few weeks. That's been so aggressive that it's actually filled in the woods. The same can't be said for Mitt.

I spoke to a guy in the Tram that has a condo on the Mittersill side and he says they have been skiing over there. Says it is a little crispy in spots but he walked through the woods up there and found some stashes.

Last edited:

Puck it

I would think that the lower sections like the run outs are thin, since some trail at Tuckerbrook are not open. Up high, I would think things are fine though.

xwhaler

I would think that the lower sections like the run outs are thin, since some trail at Tuckerbrook are not open. Up high, I would think things are fine though.

If you do some exploring up there this wknd let us know. I'd love to have someone show me around next Saturday up there if things look ok.

Puck it

If you do some exploring up there this wknd let us know. I'd love to have someone show me around next Saturday up there if things look ok.
I should be up there on Sunday at least. May do the hike and see what it is like.

dlague

I must have tough skin - face is very resilient to extreme cold and don't ski with a face mask - only cover up while on the chair lift. I will wear one around my neck and only pull it up if it feels like I need it.

Puck it

I must have tough skin - face is very resilient to extreme cold and don't ski with a face mask - only cover up while on the chair lift. I will wear one around my neck and only pull it up if it feels like I need it.

Not skiing at Tunaspeed!!!!

Puck it

Sounds like a fun cold day. I think I can see you guys (taken Saturday) :-D

16301714886_876f9187c0_h.jpg

Not to be picky, but this was not taken Sunday. It may have been midweek. The Front Five-ish are still going and also Middle Ravine. The real clue is that Turnpike is not light up.