• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 2/19/16

medfordmike

Skied Cannon today from open until 2:00. When I arrived blue skies, zero wind, and comfortable temps. I was last at Cannon two weeks ago. The weather earlier this week definitely did some damage but they are still blowing snow and actually expanding terrain over on Mittersill.

Overall conditions prior to lunch were very good. I did the upper mountain first. Upper Ravine was really nice as was Tramway. Cannon and Profile were good but definitely firmer not too far below the loose groomed snow on the surface. Went to the Front area and Zoomer was in the nicest shape. Definitely frozen granular but there was a lot of it and well worth several trips down it in a row. Avalanche was good but definitely not as loose but certainly skiable. Rocket and Gary's were just less fun condition wise but nothing was terrible by this season's standards.

Baron's was decent. They were blowing snow so it was a combination of soft snow, random ice patch, google freeze, small whale (repeat, repeat). Still did a few runs and had enjoyed my time over there but I didn't care for the guns going. Did lunch and after that the mountain really started to get icier and scraped off so stayed until 2. Huge difference between 12:30 and 2. I finished up a few extra runs on Zoomer which was still pretty good.

Overall I had a great day at Cannon and was happy I chose to go there. Getting there early made a big difference. Given the holiday it was busy but not crowded. Tram was still down but lift lines were short, few chairs at most.

IMG_0832.jpg

Last edited:

JDMRoma

Thanks for the update ! Was hoping for a recovery and the additional snow tonight will be a plus ! Be there for opening tomorrow!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

medfordmike

Thanks for the update ! Was hoping for a recovery and the additional snow tonight will be a plus ! Be there for opening tomorrow!!

No problem. Warning I grew up skiing the Poconos and Vernon Valley so my standards are low. But considering the weather not just this week but all season I didn't mind the two hour drive for what I found. Definitely glacier like ice patches in the later part of the day but I don't think that is unique to Cannon this season. I could have skied a couple places today but Cannon was good

JDMRoma

No problem at all !! I ski cannon all the time ..... Ice what is this you speak of ??
It comes with the love of the place for sure. Just hoped it was semi decent !