• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 2-7-04

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Woke up early and got to Cannon for first tracks. Stupendous. However, this was my first day of the season due to my knee injury.

Now on to the goods. Cannon got about 6 inches of fluff with .15 inches of ice and then another 3 inches of snow on top of that. Those are my best estimates. It was a rather foggy/snowy day so the pictures are no good. Sorry! Even though there was ice it was almost enough to ski on top of. However, when you got into your own tracks you would break through and it was hard skiing. But seriously it was a lot of fun. The groomed trails were nice early in the morning but got rather icy as the day wore on.

The top of the high speed quad was nice with fairly nice groomed snow. Got icy towards the end of the day.

Taft slalom was nice and had some ice but overall a very nice ride.

Hardscrabble was my pick of the day. Even thought lower was roped I cut it about 9 times. It was that nice. A few random sticks/rocks by the end of the day but overall very nice.

Front Five, nice with some ice between bumps but acceptable.

Mittersill, I won?t tell you where I went but I went twice, once at 10 and the second time at 2. There were plenty of first tracks to be made if you know where to go. I was still making first tracks at 2. Talked to some folks who said tuckerbrook was nice.

Overall a stupendous day. I also demoed about 6 pairs of skis; this is how I would rate them.

Volkl 724 Pro- Nice ski with fairly good hold but slow on the transitions. Not good when forced to make turns in tight quarters.

Volkl 6 Star- Nice ski with excellent hold on cannons ice. Never wavered. However was to much carve for the things I like to do out of bounds. Good overall ski if you are only skiing hardpack.

K2 Axis- Nice ski with moderate abilities in all categories. Not my pick of the day but average.

Salomon Extra Hot- Average. Slow turn initiations, very sluggish ski with out much umpf.

Atomic SX:9- Good ski my second favorite of the day. Enough edge hold to rip cannons ice apart but also soft enough to appease trails like hardscrabble and mittersill.

Elan M12- By far my favorite ski of the day. Good edge hold, carved right through the ice at cannon. Also good on trails like hardscrabble and in the trees. Felt solid underfoot but smoother than the sx:9. A very good ski that I would solidly recommend.

Well, that was my day, hope you all had one just as good.

Sorry there are no pictures frank.