• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Cannonball

The top ramp on Peabody was so bad the other day it was causing pile-ups of fallen skiers. At one point I couldn't get off due to the pile of bodies. I rode halfway around the bullwheel then jumped off. Liftie never noticed any of it.

Puck it

Was thinking to have this Saturday be my "big return" to skiing. By big I mean a tucker brook family area only ticket and a bulletproof helmet, and learning turns all over again.

Then today I got today some news that Cannon powers that be are telling employees that my accident was "my fault" and not their problem. Now, this is angering on all accounts given I have bee the biggest Cannon supporter even though they were negligent, and I was just standing there, and all their ski patrol and lift lines saw it. Truly, Cannon management are TERRIBLE people. You demand lift opens at all costs even though it is covered in ice and doesn't run right and your employee gets hurt on her first day, and you talk sh$t about them? TERRIBLE people!!

I will never ski at Cannon again. And no longer care how small this mountain town is. People can talk all they want, I will hold my head up high, and they can look right at it-at it my GI Jane crewcut and my 15cm scars and know that its CANNON'S fault.

Can you elaborate why they think it is your fault?

dlague

Was thinking to have this Saturday be my "big return" to skiing. By big I mean a tucker brook family area only ticket and a bulletproof helmet, and learning turns all over again.

Then today I got today some news that Cannon powers that be are telling employees that my accident was "my fault" and not their problem. Now, this is angering on all accounts given I have bee the biggest Cannon supporter even though they were negligent, and I was just standing there, and all their ski patrol and lift lines saw it. Truly, Cannon management are TERRIBLE people. You demand lift opens at all costs even though it is covered in ice and doesn't run right and your employee gets hurt on her first day, and you talk sh$t about them? TERRIBLE people!!

I will never ski at Cannon again. And no longer care how small this mountain town is. People can talk all they want, I will hold my head up high, and they can look right at it-at it my GI Jane crewcut and my 15cm scars and know that its CANNON'S fault.

Being one of the skiers there that day and catching the tail end of what was happening, this is disturbing. We saw the ice that fell and saw where it fell from. It was on a round arm of the terminal and it was evident (hind sight being 20/20) that it would fall eventually. The ice was pretty thick and with that falling it seems like OSHA should be contacted since that was an unsafe working environment. Some effort should have been made to get the ice off - IMO. All lifties and riders of the lift were put in blatant danger obviously.

Puck it

I sent an email directly to JD regarding this. It will be interesting if there is a reply.

Puck it

I've tried to remain stoic and supportive of the mountain through all of this, but no longer. I have zero tolerance for the type of dishonesty and deceit that's occurring in attempts to wipe away a monumental fuck up on the part of management at Cannon. They think this will just go away. They think this is not an issue. Tell that to my Stephanie, who continues to deal with it and struggle to heal every day. Tell that to me, who watches my love fall into despair and go through these struggles months later. This is not over. This is not dust to be swept under a rug. This is a human life you have impacted gravely. Cannon management's frank disregard for its own lack of safety protocol or willingness to admit error suggests that they are in no hurry to correct their ways. Their blatant arrogance will continue in search of more dollars at the expense of the safety of guests and employees. But no more from me. The only money I'd throw at Cannon and JD would be in the form of rolls of quarters clenched in my fists. You want to claim this is her fault? You want to slither away like the slimy, worthless slug you are? Time to bring out the salt. I'm gunning for you, JD, to expose all your flaws. I don't care how much backing of the state you have. You are wrong, and you deserve to admit that.
Why are they saying it is her fault?

How can they make that claim?

deadheadskier

Staff member
My guess is they are hoping she goes after the snowmakers as according to the last convo, the resort can't be sued, only the snowmakers who blew the snow that built up the ice on the lift.

Really disappointing to read it has all come to this. I feel a little guilty with my plans to ski there Saturday.

Puck it

If the ticket wasn't already paid for, I'd consider taking my business elsewhere.

Just sucks when it's a place you really enjoy. I'd imagine for all you pass holders it's even more of a gut punch.
Very true. I reached out to JD. He did reply to my email. But his comments were as expected and he said that is all he could say. So I took that to mean the laywers are involved now.

I would like to know how Cannon is saying it was her fault. From the facts, she was walking under the lift to start loading.

SkiingInABlueDream

My guess is they are hoping she goes after the snowmakers as according to the last convo, the resort can't be sued, only the snowmakers who blew the snow that built up the ice on the lift.

I fail to understand how they can rationalize this as being the snowmaker(s)' fault(s). Do they contend that the snowmakers failed to ensure the guns were firing in the right direction, which allowed snow to get piled up where it shouldn't have? If that's the case then I guess arguably the snowmakers did make a mistake, and probably some lift supervisor should have seen the ice and decided it needed to be cleared before trying to run the lift. But I would think that legally it's still Cannon's responsibility.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems like that blame shift has no basis.

Smellytele

I fail to understand how they can rationalize this as being the snowmaker(s)' fault(s). Do they contend that the snowmakers failed to ensure the guns were firing in the right direction, which allowed snow to get piled up where it shouldn't have? If that's the case then I guess arguably the snowmakers did make a mistake, and probably some lift supervisor should have seen the ice and decided it needed to be cleared before trying to run the lift. But I would think that legally it's still Cannon's responsibility.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems like that blame shift has no basis.

From what she wrote in a previous thread she wrote that the snowmakers failed to ensure the guns were firing in the right direction, which allowed snow to get piled up where it shouldn't have

freeski

This isn't a mountain owned by a group in NY or CO. It's The State of New Hampshire. I don't expect the state to not take care of an employee hurt because of unsafe work conditions. Yes, there is risk working at Cannon, as there is risk everywhere, but a large ice chuck hanging above a working area?? This should have been picked up by someone in a morning inspection and not left to an employee on there first day. We all know what it's like on first day at a new position it's always a little overwhelming with all there is to learn.
I am very disappointed in Cannon Mt and The State of New Hampshire. I'd go after them for pain and suffering. I'm rarely in favor of going to court, but here I think (hope) you win.

SkiFanE

And yes, I realize it is a lot of he said, she said, but at this point it is four months out, I've not heard one word of encouragement from Cannon management (which is more than just JD but starts with JD), but repeatedly keep being told bad things from employees of the mountain. It's hard to keep turning a blind eye and assume the best out of people when it keeps happening. That makes me very sad.

Remember: A fish rots from it's head...leadership is the head and if it's rotten...rest of fish is too. So sorry for you, but I am also shocked Cannon didn't just do the right thing from the start. My husband had a TBI, it's been 5 years and I can truly say today he is 100% back to "normal"...even 6 months ago I'd have said 97.5%...but you never stop healing. I feel for you and your family, but at least we didn't have to fight to pay bills or need lawyers...that would have made the situation much more hellish than it was. Noone understands the power of the brain until you see what can happen when it's injured. Sending you healing vibes and the strength to keep fighting. Good luck getting back up on skis!

rocks860

Unfortunately you can't sue the state without their consent (at least that's the way it is in ct). Sovereign immunity. In certain situations it's permitted by statute but I don't know about this one.