• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Can anyone report on today for Cannon or K ?
The Cannon website said 5" overnight and 3" today.
In Manchester we got 4" of wet/hard snow with ice on top. Yuck.

Still thinking of tomorrow, I'm going to call K and Cannon by phone and ask...

Thanks

Smellytele

now Cannon is showing 5-8" of snow and ice, today, but Killington 8-12" snow today, 1-3" tomorrow..
I guess I am making my first trip to K.
I'm looking at the weather channel website..

Cannon had all snow today. While what came down last night got blown into the woods. The extra that came down during the day was good. Mittersill held the snow better from last night and it skied well. By 2:30 when I left the trails were choppy but my crud busters got through it just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hi - Was the snow good at least, or wet like here at sea level, and do you think tomorrow early is a decent call?

their phone line sounded like they got a full 8"

"5 yesterday, 3 today and still snowing at close..."

Driving Manchester to cannon tomorrow morning is 1/2 distance to Killington, plus I'm not fully fit to take advantage of Killington..

Is there anyone here would consider share driving / fuel to Killington in the future, or is there a board for ride-sharing?

Jay had a favorable/most snow report but 3+ hours each way, I'm not prepared for that for a one day trip, alone, just yet...

Thanks for your help!

crazy

I heard from someone that Cannon was excellent today. Not heavy but not light for the snow, which is actually good because you want the snow to bond with the icier surface underneath. The lighter snow over ice at Sugarloaf and Stowe is downright dangerous.

Hi

I made it up to Cannon Thursday from 11am - close...
I had just enough strength to do 11 runs..and take a few breaks.
Just before 3pm everyone left - it emptied out in like 10 minutes and the wind died.
The sun came out around 2pm, maybe?

The snow was fast: I used a different board that works well on hard pack..
It was very hard with many patches of exposed ice.
There was just enough loose snow to push around to make it not suck.

This was my second time @Cannon, can anybody there on Thursday tell me if that was a "typical" day?

thanks again..

medfordmike

Hi

I made it up to Cannon Thursday from 11am - close...
I had just enough strength to do 11 runs..and take a few breaks.
Just before 3pm everyone left - it emptied out in like 10 minutes and the wind died.
The sun came out around 2pm, maybe?

This was my second time @Cannon, can anybody there on Thursday tell me if that was a "typical" day?

thanks again..

I was also there Thursday. I would say it was busier than a normal mid weekday. A combo of fresh snow and the upcoming holiday week and those who can choose to get a day in before the madness. It has not been a great winter. Even when it is are there are ice patches in some places again and again but Cannon is a windy place. I would say conditions were not as good as I usually get there. That being said I am not sure they would have been much better anyplace else in that part of the state. Not a great winter in my opinion so far. Everyone has their own opinion but i think Cannon is the best area in NH. Sunapee and Bretton will have better groomed trails but their terrain is less interesting (and I ski at Sunapee a lot).

Last edited:

Bumpsis

Hi

thanks again..

For the most part, what you are describing was a "typical day" at Cannon, at least in my experience. More often than not, their cover tends to be hard with frequent ice patches. On the other hand, the place is varied enough so I always manage to find some runs that ski quite well. It's just a matter of finding them. But when Cannon has good cover, be it fresh snow or it's spring, it can be seventh heaven - best skiing in NH. That's what keeps me coming back. Then, there is another upside: if the skiing really sucks, the notch has great hiking. I can always fall back on that and have very satisfying day out.

ThinkSnow

For the most part, what you are describing was a "typical day" at Cannon, at least in my experience. More often than not, their cover tends to be hard with frequent ice patches. On the other hand, the place is varied enough so I always manage to find some runs that ski quite well. It's just a matter of finding them. But when Cannon has good cover, be it fresh snow or it's spring, it can be seventh heaven - best skiing in NH. That's what keeps me coming back. Then, there is another upside: if the skiing really sucks, the notch has great hiking. I can always fall back on that and have very satisfying day out.
+1

Smellytele

Cannon skied great today - No lines. Nice wind blown stashes at the top. The normal spots mid mountain got scraped and middle hard scrabble was "interesting". Baron's run skied well today. only line was at Cannonball Quad but no more than 3-4 minute wait. And then for only a couple of runs.

can anyone verify that it's snowing there now / may drop 5-8 tonight?
Does anyone on the forum live close to Cannon, Franconia maybe?
I want to drive up tomorrow morning but my wife says go to "w o r k" - really ?
Why can't things be simpler?
I think I'm going to buy a trailer park home or cheap condo in Tahoe or Truckee !

I'm back in Manchester after a trip to Lake Tahoe - I just missed the recent snow @Cannon by a few days.
Can anyone speak to the conditions expected this weekend, or the weekends until closing?

With rain in the forecast this weekend, it freezes overnight, then thaws later in the day - noon ?
If so, when it thaws, is it any fun (assuming lowered expectations and previous spring skiing in Tahoe & Colorado)?

In my experience, the bigger the temperature swings are, the more difficult it is to get acceptable conditions.

Also, for March/April here, is there a bigger/real advantage to be had by going to other resorts due to more favorable temps?

Maine? Vermont?

Thanks !

In Tahoe this happened but the temps didn't swing as much, were not as cold as night / didn't freeze as much..

Also - why does the Cannon website say "...but rain days are the best days, the snow is soft, temps are mild, and the mountain is quiet."

I don't understand how rain (if it freezes overnight) can be good ?
Well I see it may not freeze according to the forecast, until Sunday night (18 degrees)

It seems they are saying that rain makes soft snow (ok), mild temps?, and a "quiet" mountain?

And spring break is when?

Thanks and sorry for the questions, but it's a reasonably long drive to the mountain..

Jeff

urungus

Also - why does the Cannon website say "...but rain days are the best days, the snow is soft, temps are mild, and the mountain is quiet."

I don't understand how rain (if it freezes overnight) can be good ?
Well I see it may not freeze according to the forecast, until Sunday night (18 degrees)

Freezing overnight is not good. But skiing while it is raining can be good if it is not a deluge.

Smellytele

So many questions - so little time :). Never enjoyed skiing in the rain. Maybe if it was 70 and raining but 45 and raining not so much. The snow can be soft when raining but patches of ice with water running over the top of it isn't great. skiing after a day of rain and a refreeze is the worst thing possible.

Tram is done for the season.

I know there were more questions but lost interest...

skiur

Freezing overnight is not good. But skiing while it is raining can be good if it is not a deluge.

The snow is normally nice when its raining, but visibility often sucks with the warm air creating fog. Couple that with constantly having to wipe your goggles is why I dont like to ski in the rain.

Smellytele

The snow is normally nice when its raining, but visibility often sucks with the warm air creating fog. Couple that with constantly having to wipe your goggles is why I dont like to ski in the rain.

Also clothes are tested for waterproofing. You will find where they leak. In below 32 weather they perform great but once liquid is involved it is a different story.

thanks to all.. it sounds like a waste of time/money...
I may try Killington when the weather improves..I want to get there before the end of the season.
Even if it is spring conditions (minus the rain), at least I will know what it's like, can help plan for next year.

JDMRoma

Today wasnt a washout, period of rain from about 10 -11. not bad dried out pretty nicely for the rest of the day.
conditions were pretty fantastic spring corn all over the mountain ! Its not sucking right now but if it drops below freezing its gonna be really bad !!