• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Bumpsis

Corn harvest in full effect!!View attachment 25097

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

If you're talking about today's conditions (Sunday, April 7), I can attest that there was no corn harvest. May be here and there, depending where you were on the mountain and when. Was the coverage good? Oh yeah! Was it fun? Sure thing. Was there corn? It depends on your definition of corn. For most of the trails on top of Cannon, it was mashed potatoes on softening ice, slush at the bottom.
Cover on trails off Zoomer were remarkably drier and very carvable. Still, more like mashed potatoes.

Corn, at least how I define it, is a ball bearing like snow form, loose but offering some resistance when pushed, still, superbly skiable. In its dry form, quite temporal and often ephemeral. Usually found on natural snow trails when sun/rising air temperature transforms hard snow into softer cover. I did not find it on the mountain today.
Still, we had a really fun day, ripping up what was there.

granite

They have seasonal lockers in the basement of the Peabody Lodge, don't know about getting one though.

bizarrefaith

The weekends around the holidays are busier than normal but midweek holiday periods aren't bad at all. I think the busiest weekend last year was MLK weekend, and even that wasn't too bad by the standards of many northeast mountains of similar size - maybe 5-10 minute lift lines instead of ski on. Hard to say how the closure of the tram due to covid will affect things but if you typically get there early in the day, I wouldn't worry much. Last year we got there by 9-9:15 at the latest, and I was always able to get a ski to the car spot without difficulty (getting the car back out after latecomers try to squeeze in is a bigger problem lol).

urungus

I’ve never been to Cannon, hoping to get the chance this year. Looking at trail map, it seems that the Cannonball Quad will also get you to the peak, so all terrain should still be lift serviced even if the tram is down or crammed with covidiots ? Not like Jay Peak, where the only way (other than skinning) to reach some trails is to take the tram ?

bizarrefaith

Uphill, yes you can access the whole mountain via Cannonball (which actually drops you slightly higher than the tram). No tram just creates some inconvenience at the bottom and doesn't allow lapping top to bottom like the tram does (as rather than being able to jump on the tram from DJ's, Kinsman, and the whole Front 5 area, you'll have to skate over to Zoomer, take Zoomer up, ski down to Peabody and then Cannonball to get back to the top).

granite

I will miss the 8:15 am first tracks tram on the weekends if they don't run it. Keeping it closed will make the main lodge and parking even more crowded. I don't see how they can have it opened though. Too bad, it's so easy to pull off the highway and in 100 yards you're at the tram parking lot. Always the same people there every Saturday/Sunday catching that first tracks tram.

granite

Does anyone know if Cannon is making snow? I don't see anything about snow making on their website. The webcam shows natural snow. Any info?

Los

Does anyone know if Cannon is making snow? I don't see anything about snow making on their website. The webcam shows natural snow. Any info?
I don't know. But earlier today I was going to bump this thread to ask the same question...

granite

I don't know. But earlier today I was going to bump this thread to ask the same question...
Still nothing on their Mountain Report so I called them. They are making snow up top and attempting to open on 11-27-20. We will see?

2planks2coasts

Just bought a cannon season pass for myself and my family this season. any other pass holders here? how is cannon around the holiday periods? any other things that I need to know I appreciate it
I have a cannon pass this year as well. I live about 25 minutes away. Hoping the VT closure doesn't cause overcrowding in NH.

Los

I have a cannon pass this year as well. I live about 25 minutes away. Hoping the VT closure doesn't cause overcrowding in NH.
For many reasons, my expectation is that it’s going to be utter pandemonium this year at Cannon, with inconceivably large crowds. I really hope my fears are misplaced, but I don’t think they are...