• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member

Duke61

You sound familiar. Did you apply to be GM of Cannon and were turned down (and since then have been on an anger-filled campaign against them?) If that is your website then the answer is "yes".
Nope, not my website, have no idea who that guy is, just grabbed the spreadsheet. I have no affiliation with Cannon or it's GM other than my observations as a skier and taxpayer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nope, not my website, have no idea who that guy is, just grabbed the spreadsheet. I have no affiliation with Cannon or it's GM other than my observations as a skier and taxpayer.
The page doesn't load.

If you are relying on that site for information then be forewarned that the guy I mentioned is behind it and take the information with a grain of salt.

Duke61

Cannon has done alot of great things in the past twenty years as well, the mittersill integration for example or the continued expansion of snowmaking capacity. I also think they have generally controlled ticket and pass costs compared to other private areas. The big bee in my bonnet is the $800k increase in electricity....before I dump on management, I should probably find out if Cannon has the ability to choose alternate providers? For all I know there may be some State handshake with Eversource that precludes Cannon from pursuing alternatives.

Duke61

The page doesn't load.

If you are relying on that site for information then be forewarned that the guy I mentioned is behind it and take the information with a grain of salt.
The link isn't his data, it's from cannon directly. I don't know if today's economics will ever allow cannon to make money, but it is a fact we have been subsidizing them for over 20 years now, and I know a bit about accounting and they very creatively try to walk around the fact they are not profitable. The State affiliation is both a blessing and a curse like most things.

BodeMiller1

Yeah snowmaking is so good they closed 4 (well 3) consecutive days during xmas....75% of your revenue is xmas and feb vacation.....Cannon had NO beginner terrain open as of christmas ?......None Cannons days of pretending to be a big dog are over, check out wv, bretton woods, loon acreage and trail counts compared to Cannon. Or stupid stuff, Rocket is open for a week, but covered with snowmaking whales, not groomed out......really? Or only way down is through rock garden, but watch out snow making underway (as we squeeze skiers through a rock garden a narrow chute).

How about the new 'rfid system' Cannon didn't choose a vendor until November of this year, yes folks 3 weeks before the season opens! They then sat on the vendor to try to get it done in two weeks? Tell me, why wasn't this done months ago? Even now we adopt RFID (twenty years later than most resorts) the tickets still need to be scanned, why no gates or sensors to make it work? Apparently that would make too much sense.....Then I get notices that say, please don't show up valued pass holder because we don't want you in the building and there is a long pass processing line OUTSIDE ?......who serves who here?

what other major resort would close over xmas holiday? DeVivo screwed up, failed to negotiate better electric rates, and is looking at trying compensate for the (est) $800k increase...how, shut down the mountain as much and as often as possible to save money, Cannon runs in the red year after year while trying to tell the legislature cannon is self-sustaining & we should give them another $30m for a tram.....

Sorry but my favorite, is trail 'xyz' is groomed only to find they ran one pass down the middle and left the other 2/3rds ungroomed....Yup Cannon is a legend.
One of my pet peeves with Cannon (as mentioned above on Rocket) is how The State thinks they can get away with not grooming out the huge whales on the front. 🌊 You start with a pitch of 30 degrees or so, butt you can have a free fall on the downhill side. I get it, they want to drain and dry etc.
Sometimes these are a blast if you can get an edge...

You can't run single chair to the top up the tramline. It's too long and way too much exposure, plus the summer / fall tourists. Cannon should keep the tram and paint it them Blue and black for radiational solar heat. The neat thing is, we have the mountain let's rebuild the ski area. This is similar to putting cheap tires on a nice car.

If you want to dump money:

A) Rebuild the windows on the bar at the base.

B) Killontonize the top lodge. There's no reason I can't be trying to unfreeze my tongue from iron, glass and aluminum up top in a lodge with (not sure), BUTT I' d like sweeping views of Layfayette skier's right over to the peaks of Vermont.

The worse Cannon is for February vacation, the better it is for me.

Futher, we all know what happens when we try and keep up with the Joneses (think Vail). I don't need to be pampered guy.

Meow

Edit: The good news is Cannon will be able to do this with zero to little money spent on energy. This is because of Fussion and the like. I'm pretty sure Vermont will welcome our nuclear waste, they're good like that.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

On a list of all NH gov't initiatives that aren't revenue positive, where does Cannon rank?
Not well and that's okay. Having a destination resort so close to Boston will benefit all of the businesses in the area.

This is a great article. Yep, I've skied Livermore Falls. Not all the lines.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The link isn't his data, it's from cannon directly. I don't know if today's economics will ever allow cannon to make money, but it is a fact we have been subsidizing them for over 20 years now, and I know a bit about accounting and they very creatively try to walk around the fact they are not profitable. The State affiliation is both a blessing and a curse like most things.
But is it supposed to be “profitable” in the first place? That’s a philosophical question. It creates HUGE benefits for many private businesses that in turn create tax revenue.

Edd

Loon probably drives more business to the area than cannon, but either way a public recreation facility shouldn’t have to be profitable. It’s a service to the state and visitors
When you’re talking to a NH resident who pays property taxes, it’s kinda 50/50 on which way that person leans.

snoseek

I'm getting threecy/free stater vibes reading this all. Paid parking? Maybe up in front of Peabody other than that it's a functional nofrills area by the state for the state.