• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon or Loon on St. Patrick's Day?

medfordmike

Hi folks I need some advice from folks familiar with Loon and Cannon. I was supposed to be skiing with a friend in VT this weekend but he had some family stuff come up. I am thinking of heading up to NH on Sunday. I have lived in Boston for ten years but I have never been to Cannon and I have only been to Loon a few times and only once on a weekend. Any recommendations for best bet for this Sunday? I am looking for good skiing anything related to the holiday is a nice extra but would not be a deciding factor. I need to be back in Boston around dinner time for a hockey game so I would not want to go further than Cannon so VT areas are off the list this weekend.

Thanks,
Mike

puckoach

AP vs MC at 6, - which one you favor ?

Driving by Cannon yesterday and today, it looked to be in rough shape. A little better today. Some people that I talked to that skied it Wednesday were quite disapointed. Another guy in the same conversation had been to Loon, and said it was in great shape Wednesday.

I skied Bretton Woods today.. It was awesome with snow flurries all day following 2 inches overnight.

Yes, Loon is crowded weekends. But, not as bad on Sunday's. Hop the first chair and get over to South Peak. Better yet, park and stay over there !

ScottySkis

Wildcat.and have a few drinks.:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::beer::beer::ber::beer::beer::beer::beer::):):):thumbup:

SIKSKIER

Unless Cannon gets some love from above,I would go to Loon.Loon is making snow and they can cover/resurface large areas pretty quick.Great move on their part.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
A number of areas are have $17.00 dollars day for the holiday. Personally I would avoid those areas just to avoid a crowd but you may want to save a buck and hoist a green brew.

If you've never been to Cannon you owe it to yourself to go. This is a great time to experience the place as the weather isn't as extreme as it can be in January or February.

Its also true Cannon's conditions are as delicately manicured as other destinations so if that's important to you then consider it.

medfordmike

Hey folks thanks for the advice. I will look at the ski reports tomorrow one last time and then make a decision for Sunday. It looks like you can park at the South Peak base camp area at Loon which would be my plan. I have parked at the main base area in the past but when you are at Loon midweek it doesn't matter. The positives for Loon right now are the conditions with some snow making thrown in which is nice. The downside is the crowds that will likely be there. The one weekend I did go to Loon I swore I would never do it again but I will be skiing solo which should help. Cannon is still in the running because I have not been there and this is the last weekend they will have the tram. Not big on gondola's/trams but if I go to Cannon I want to go when it is running to try it at least once.

I would love to try Wildcat Scotty but it is too far for me to get back to play hockey on Sunday night. But I think I can have a few no matter where I go.

If a mountain has $17 tickets I plan on avoiding it. I am not a big one for crowds. I know Mt. Snow, Wildcat, Crotched, and Wachusett are all doing something on Sunday with low ticket pricing. It is a great option for folks on a tight budget though.

mlkrgr

Hey folks thanks for the advice. I will look at the ski reports tomorrow one last time and then make a decision for Sunday. It looks like you can park at the South Peak base camp area at Loon which would be my plan. I have parked at the main base area in the past but when you are at Loon midweek it doesn't matter. The positives for Loon right now are the conditions with some snow making thrown in which is nice. The downside is the crowds that will likely be there. The one weekend I did go to Loon I swore I would never do it again but I will be skiing solo which should help. Cannon is still in the running because I have not been there and this is the last weekend they will have the tram. Not big on gondola's/trams but if I go to Cannon I want to go when it is running to try it at least once.

I would love to try Wildcat Scotty but it is too far for me to get back to play hockey on Sunday night. But I think I can have a few no matter where I go.

If a mountain has $17 tickets I plan on avoiding it. I am not a big one for crowds. I know Mt. Snow, Wildcat, Crotched, and Wachusett are all doing something on Sunday with low ticket pricing. It is a great option for folks on a tight budget though.

On the other hand, I'll spin the wheel and stick the crowds out at Waterville. If they get bad, I'll hang around Northside a few hours waiting for people to go in for lunch and then go back up for a couple after and keep skiing til closing bell.

But if $$ is not an issue, going with ski buses shouldn't be bad. Mt Snow limited $17 ticket sales to 2000 tickets this year so the crowds there shouldn't be too bad. But the only one you probable would get on that's reasonable distance away from Medford is the New England Snow Bus to Mt Snow, and I would rather go on Nacski, BSSC, Riteway, or White Mountain Express.

Powderking

Go for Loon...skiing was outstanding today, skied Cannon yesterday and it was in very rough shape...mountain is shut down the most challenging trails as snow cover has disappeared quickly...glades are all shut down - Mittersill is shut down, and what is open is getting beat up quickly as more and more people ski fewer and fewer trails...Cannon has put away the snow guns for the season, so unless a whammy of a big storm hits, the mountain is only going to get worse and worse from here on out...Cannon is fine when conditions are great, but it fades quickly as the spring season starts!

ScottySkis

Go for Loon...skiing was outstanding today, skied Cannon yesterday and it was in very rough shape...mountain is shut down the most challenging trails as snow cover has disappeared quickly...glades are all shut down - Mittersill is shut down, and what is open is getting beat up quickly as more and more people ski fewer and fewer trails...Cannon has put away the snow guns for the season, so unless a whammy of a big storm hits, the mountain is only going to get worse and worse from here on out...Cannon is fine when conditions are great, but it fades quickly as the spring season starts!

To late now for advice.:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
mountain is shut down the most challenging trails as snow cover has disappeared quickly...glades are all shut down
Same applies for Loon. A quick look at their snow report says no glades are open and only two trails are open without grooming. Mountains don't get "worse and worse" from here on out in the spring. Mountains in the spring vary tremendously by temperature and sun. All mountains deal with trail closures as spring progresses. Cannon fades quickly as the spring season starts? Spring is one of the best months at Cannon. Loon did make snow this past week but I suspect they have also now put away the guns for the season.

I am not saying Cannon is the better option today. I originally suggested it would be if they got a nice hit of natural snow. They only got 3-4" so I don't know how the skiing will be. But I do disagree with your reasoning in suggesting Loon. Many of your criticisms stand for Loon as well as Cannon. Loon did make some snow this past week, that is a legit point in favor of Loon. But they won't be doing that again for the rest of the season.

Cannonball

^ exactly. it rained this week. Conditions are exactly like you'd expect. Cannon and Loon are exactly what they each advertise and what they are know for. it's a simple and informed.... but subjective decision on which is right for you.

I will say that I skied cannon and enjoyed it. I hiked the fringes of Loon with the dog at the end of the day and the snow seemed pretty identical to cannon. I wouldn't spend time off trail on alpine skis at either.

Last edited:
Field report from Cannon. Snow conditions are not great, though not terrible either. It's predictably a little slick. Bumps not really doable without great knees. Also, crowds are light. Lifts are ski-on. I'm waiting for my edges to be sharpened, and the worst thing is the Irish jig music playingl in the lodge :)

medfordmike

Hi folks thanks again for the advice. I ended up at Loon today. In the end my decision was based on saving about an hour in total travel time (had to be back around 3ish) and a desire to go to Cannon when it might be a little more spring like and soft. I literally didn't 'make my decision until I approached the exit for Lincoln. It was definitely mid winter in NH today. I will put the details into a trip report. I am hoping that Loon and Cannon see more than a little snow this week. I really want to hit Cannon before the end of the season. When it comes to vibe I lean towards Pico vs. Killington (although I enjoy both) so my assumption is that I would like Cannon. I would say Loon today was somewhat similar to the conditions that LaserInTheTaiga reported at Cannon.

SIKSKIER

Cannon made a great recovery.Saturday morning was a powder day up top as we had about 5 inches of very light snow.This snow tilled in really helped on Sunday.High speed Cannon cruising.It was still firm and fast but I like it that way.And get this,Cannon,yes Cannon made snow last night!Not really sure why except for maybe pr purposes.

And get this,Cannon,yes Cannon made snow last night!Not really sure why except for maybe pr purposes.

I heard them venting some air from some of the nozzle-attachment-thingies (I know next to nothing about snowmaking tech), but thought 'there's no way they are going to make snow'. It's good to be wrong sometimes.

Yeah, they really did. Most of the other stuff was in pretty good shape. Although I gotta say what a difference having freshly sharpened edges was.