• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chondola at Waterville

sullydog

What's everyone think of a 6 person cabin and quad chair chondola replacing the white caps express lift?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the White Caps express lift is sufficient for their needs. A better investment for Waterville would be expanding skiable terrain.

UVSHTSTRM

What's everyone think of a 6 person cabin and quad chair chondola replacing the white caps express lift?

What's the point? They need to expand skiable terrain....in all honesty I think Waterville pretty much sucks. Never really thought it was much of a ski resort. I do like the town, especially the ability to drink in public.

sullydog

What's the point? They need to expand skiable terrain....in all honesty I think Waterville pretty much sucks. Never really thought it was much of a ski resort. I do like the town, especially the ability to drink in public.

so what would make it not suck?

UVSHTSTRM

More terrain, which I am not sure if adding terrain is even possible being that it is on leased National Forest land. Also improved base facilities. As far as replacing the White Peak Express, I would just replace it with another quad if needed. Oh and get rid of the stupid dog with a ball cap on the other quad.

sullydog

Quadzilla? Pshhh Quadzilla is the best part of the whole place! And it's not a dog! It's a monster!

UVSHTSTRM

During my year working there, the highlights of that season was working the high country lift, watching the lift shack blow over and riding dinner trays down the mountain at the end of the day.

Oh and being yelled at by a bunch of Massholes trying to form lift lines, telling them them they can't ride on a quad with 5 people and getting blamed for them falling off the lift.....real tough to to get on a detachable quad.....IDIOTS I tell you!

drjeff

Probably would pay off the investment in the form of added skier/rider visits, especially during the 1st year of operation as people would be curious to check it out, since they're still pretty much a novelty type lift. The bigger question then would be, would the terrain that the skier/rider either coming to WV for the 1st time and/or returning after a long abscence from skiing/riding WV be impressive enough to get them back and 2nd, 3rd, 4th time etc???? Since while it's often a tough thing to get someone to try something new for the 1st time, the tougher thing very often is to get them back for the 2nd time, because if you can get them back for that 2nd time, then more often then not you've made a new "regular" customer

deadheadskier

Staff member
More terrain, which I am not sure if adding terrain is even possible being that it is on leased National Forest land. Also improved base facilities. As far as replacing the White Peak Express, I would just replace it with another quad if needed. Oh and get rid of the stupid dog with a ball cap on the other quad.

apparently they do have some expansion capabilities. I'm not familiar enough with the mountain to know where Green Peak is, but do have somewhat of a picture of what they mentioned concerning High Camp in this response from the 2004 Ski Area challenge

http://skiing.alpinezone.com/articles/challenge/2004/response.htm?resort=waterville

I think Waterville is an alright mid sized mountain. It has decent vert. I've only skied it once early season as an adult, but used to love the bumps on Sunnyside as a kid.

abc

I hate Waterville.

I only skied there once. Will never go back. It's the attitude.

(well, not having enough terrain to offset that attitude, I should add)

powpig2002

what wv needs is more uphill capacity. on sunday it's like storrow drive at rush hour. they need slower lifts or more terrain.

Talisman

So I'm not a Waterville fan for a couple of reasons and if these were adressed WV would "not suck":

Lack of terrain

Many trail intersections and weekend crowds make the trails feel congested and dangerous

The flat area by the Schwendi Hutte

The parking set up

Tickets seem expensive for what you get

No 'side country' like Cannon or Wildcat

hammer

Biggest complaint I have about Waterville (aside from the crowds) is the lack of lower intermediate terrain. IIRC you have to be a solid intermediate to handle trails from the summit, and that forces way to many people to the Valley Run trail. I know that Quadzilla cuts down on lift lines but the higher capacity makes the situation worse.

Now that I have a few more years of skiing experience, I'd like to head back...just need to find a time when it's not so busy.

sullydog

As a former WV fanatic, parents owned a condo in the valley, I can't help but feel like they're going downhill, fast. I mean the place will never be lost, it's simply too big, and yeah they get a lot of skier visits, but how many ppl come back? They need to find their identity, something everyone will like. As a boarder I know they've been pushing the parks lately, but Loon's got that all wrapped up, unless WV made a HUGE effort Exhibition will never be LMP.