• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chondola at Waterville

sullydog

I think Waterville would literally close down as a town within 5 years of the mountain closing. There's literally nothing else economically.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
As a former condo owner I can tell you that even before the hill closes, from early early April until Memorial Day Waterville is literally a ghost town, there is NO one there. Most of the town simply closes up shop till memorial day, It's not as bad in the fall because of the foliage trips people make.
I thought you were a high school student? Regardless, EVERY tourist area is a ghost town between April and Memorial Day. Many inn keepers and shops plan vacation time for this time of year. Same with ski area management. There is no tourism demand during this period of time in Northern New England.

sullydog

I am. However my parents owned a condo at the Golden Eagle Lodge up until about two years ago and I still pay attention to the place.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
are there other places like waterville where if the mountain fails the whole town fails?
Tourism is the main industry up here. If main attractions were to fail, there wouldn't be much else to keep tourism towns going. Originally, the area was built on natural resources and manufacturing. But that went away with the railroads and later the increase in global economy. Tourism took its place but there isn't much if the tourism died. Skiing is not the only tourism but it would be a HUGE hit if winter revenue disappeared from tourism towns.

That ain't going to happen to Waterville any time soon. If I remember correctly, Waterville was one of the original major resort destinations when tourism started taking off in the 1800s. In any case, along with Loon, it is the closest major four season resort destination to the Boston metro area including Providence and has a significant draw. Due to all the condos, it has a substantial vested financial interest in those that chose to make a long term commitment to the area. I would put Waterville amongst the top ten ski areas in New England least likely to fail.

sullydog

I was on the title as a co owner so that's more than enough. i also agree that WV will never fail, howver I am afraid that it will fall by the wayside into oblivion.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was on the title as a co owner so that's more than enough. i also agree that WV will never fail, howver I am afraid that it will fall by the wayside into oblivion.
Learn something new everyday. I thought there might be a minimum age on home ownership. Dumb assumption on my part! Cheers! :spin:

deadheadskier

Staff member
i also agree that WV will never fail, howver I am afraid that it will fall by the wayside into oblivion.

.....maybe, but I'm not so sure. I kind of view Waterville in NH, like I do Bromley in VT. Neither really has seen much major investment in years; at least compared to certain other areas. Despite this, they both seem to keep humming along and are fairly popular with families. I'm sure they're skier visits are down a bit from the 80s, but my guess is whatever financing they carry is probably fairly low at this point. Lower overhead means they don't need as many skier visits to be sustainable.

The sport's participation has been flat for decades. Major expansion is a risky gamble these days and sometimes it doesn't always make sense financially to try and keep up with the Jones's.