• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CNL Resort Properties Sold!

Smellytele

So they bought 3 ski areas (Okemo, Sunapee and Crested Butte) for 132 mil and now are selling 14 for 374. Not sure how much they paid for the other 11 but seems they may have bought high and are selling low. They probably did make money with the lease backs over this time though.

Hawkshot99

Just saw this on Sugarloaftoday. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2016/11/03/cnl-unloads-15-ski-resorts

It's been a long time coming for sure. Obviously won't have too much of an impact on operations, but starting next offseason Boyne will no longer have the excuse that CNL uncertainty is delaying lift upgrades at Sugarloaf!
They never should have been using that excuse in the first place. The land user is the one who decides what improvements to make, not CNL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

They never should have been using that excuse in the first place. The land user is the one who decides what improvements to make, not CNL.

Well they used it anyways. Not saying it was valid, just saying that now that excuse is gone! I'll be interested to see what gets said at the next SL annual meeting in the fall (assuming no lift upgrades happen this offseason).

Last edited:

speeddemon

damn, can't be a good omen for the sales price of Jay and others. I imagine that at that average price of $26m per resort, Jay maybe is at most an average resort in that mix of pretty strong ski resorts?

Hawkshot99

damn, can't be a good omen for the sales price of Jay and others. I imagine that at that average price of $26m per resort, Jay maybe is at most an average resort in that mix of pretty strong ski resorts?
Jiminy peak was included in the sale. 7 or 8 years ago CNL acquired them for roughly $32 million.

doublediamond

but starting next offseason Boyne will no longer have the excuse that CNL uncertainty is delaying lift upgrades at Sugarloaf!

They will. Just change CNL to EPR. Two REITs are buying up the ski holdings of CNL.

mbedle

The price they sold is not directly related to the value of each resort. They have 30 +- year leases left on them, plus the new leases after that.

Jully

They will. Just change CNL to EPR. Two REITs are buying up the ski holdings of CNL.

While CNL in previous years may have been stingy, the last 2 years was specifically because they were looking to sell so they weren't going to put any money in (which doesn't entirely make sense to me from CNL's standpoint, but whatever). They excuse will be gone. EPR may still be just as unwilling as CNL was in years prior to them trying to sell though.

Jully

Why would they take on that expense if your goal is an investment trust. If they do I bet it is limited.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Same reason you repaint your house and redo your bathroom before selling it. At least that's how I always looked at it.

Saw this in the newEnglandskihistory.com article which I found interesting.
In addition, EPR will provide up to $52 million in cash for improvements at Ski Holdings LLC areas at 8.5% interest.
http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=498

Wonder who is getting the improvements!