• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CNN - Top 100 Best Ski Runs

mbedle

Well - apparently the east coast doesn't rank to high in CNN's 100 best ski runs. Looks like only 3 made the list with Whiteface (skyward) , Mad River (Paradise) and Killington (Outer Limits) making the top 100. I guess since it includes the entire northern hemisphere, maybe its not so bad.

MadMadWorld

Well - apparently the east coast doesn't rank to high in CNN's 100 best ski runs. Looks like only 3 made the list with Whiteface (skyward) , Mad River (Paradise) and Killington (Outer Limits) making the top 100. I guess since it includes the entire northern hemisphere, maybe its not so bad.

As it shouldn't. If they are only looking at in bound terrain, then the East can't really compete. I just can't believe that those are the 3 trails from the East to make it. Skyward really? It's famous but how is it the best? Do you have the entire list?

crank

From what I read they just asked a few skiers what their favorite runs were and why. And by the way, Paradise does not have a 5 meter drop, it's 5 feet.

BenedictGomez

How on earth did Skyward make the list? That's a real head-scratcher.

Not only that, it's TOP TEN IN THE WORLD?

That tells me all I need to know about the CNN list.

MadMadWorld

Btw, Kill the Banker at Revelstoke is a shit load of fun. It's cliff drop after cliff drop into pillows. It looks like it shouldn't even be skiable and I wouldn't have even skied it if I didn't follow someone else. So many unknown hazards.

Never been to Squaw but I'm 99% sure the Palisades don't run below KT22 lol

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some I expected--Corbet's, the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise at Zermatt IS AMAZING, Paradise, etc. But some unexpected ones--Glen's instead of Great Scott at Snowbird, Barry Barry Steep (it's an intermediate run?!) at Snowbird, and no Alf's High Rustler?

skiking4

""The Palisades run beneath the KT-22 lift allows for massive airs and huge lines off all the cliffs and down the steeps," says Stifter."

is this a joke? It's not below the KT-22 lift...

skiNEwhere

CNN gets away with this for the most part, because anyone who's serious about skiing doesn't consider CNN the authority on ski news

4aprice

Wow Scarlett's at Aspen Highlands gets a ranking. That may be my favorite bump run of all time.

The list is world wide. I'm much more interested in a list for North American runs, similar to a book I have called "Skiers Paradise" written in 1967 about what the authors considered the 100 best runs in NA at the time. Plenty of eastern trails on that list.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

drjeff

I noticed that many of CNN's descriptions of why it's a "great" run included comments about the scenic views while on the trail :rolleyes:

If that's the case, then how the heck did either Lynx or most any other trail at Wildcat not make that list?

C-Rex

Has there ever been a ski article that didn't get torn to shreds by the members of this forum? Just wondering if anyone outside of ski magazines has ever written a quality article.

Highway Star

Interesting article from 1966. I'm curious as to where "The Glades" were located at Sugarbush. Sounds like part of it might have run through what is now Murphy's Glade.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1079260/1/index.htm

It is now murphy's glade, which is really just a barely a glade. I'm guessing that over the years they had many trees blow down leaving it in it's current state.

Killington had many heavily thinned glades back in the 60's and 70's, some were cut into trails, but many had their trees destroyed by the wind.

4aprice

It is now murphy's glade, which is really just a barely a glade. I'm guessing that over the years they had many trees blow down leaving it in it's current state.

Killington had many heavily thinned glades back in the 60's and 70's, some were cut into trails, but many had their trees destroyed by the wind.

From what I have heard a tree blight knocked out a lot of the trees in Doc Dempsey's Glade at Smugglers. I know it had a lot more trees up until at least 1994. BTW it used to be called just "The Glades" when it was the Madonna Mountain Ski Area back in the late 60's/early 70's.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bigbog

I noticed that many of CNN's descriptions of why it's a "great" run included comments about the scenic views while on the trail :rolleyes:

If that's the case, then how the heck did either Lynx or most any other trail at Wildcat not make that list?
No 3-star hotel & restaurant @base of the mountain...