• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

College Students and the Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Young people vote? They don't care about anything but "pop" culture. It's not their fault, tv brainwashing is subtle. Now, when the draft is re-instated, that's going to get their attention. And the draft WILL come back. How many of you have their selective service card? I still carry my Geneva Convention card in my wallet, decades later.

1) It isn't likely because it is so unpopular an idea, it guarantees political suicide for anyone who proposes it.
2) You're on the right track... a lot of young people don't vote because they don't care... because nothing directly affects them (except, like you said, a draft would)

They either don't care because their life will remain largely unchanged, or they're too immature to recognize changes in their lives will be directly influenced by the political landscape.

Or they do care, but they care way too much, become neck deep in involvement with the fool hardy notion they can change the world and a utopia is possible.

Dr Skimeister

I recall that it had been suggested that the mandatory registration for Selective Service would also be used to register one to vote. I guess that never went through.

Dr Skimeister

Can't help but chuckle here....

I never thought of a person that's considered to be obtuse as having a choice in the matter.

wa-loaf

I've voted in every presidential election that I've been old enough for. In Vermont, I voted in most smaller elections as well. Every other state I've lived in, I haven't paid much attention to local politics.

I missed the election in 88 because I had just moved to Germany in the Army and dropped the ball on getting an absentee ballot.

I think that is a great thing. My daughter graduated HS in her junior year. Maybe they would have done something like this in senior year. I didn't think about that. Do high schools even teach a proper civics class anymore? In the 70s we had U.S. & World History.

We called it Political Science.

Young people vote? They don't care about anything but "pop" culture. It's not their fault, tv brainwashing is subtle. Now, when the draft is re-instated, that's going to get their attention. And the draft WILL come back. How many of you have their selective service card? I still carry my Geneva Convention card in my wallet, decades later.

Kind of painting them all with the same brush here. But I'd be all for some kind of national service.

Hawkshot99

Doesn't seem to stop the entire Bible-belt! They vote for who their minister tells them to vote for. Hence more Bush!

Or any HS, or college professor.

In High school i took American Gov. or something like that for a name. It should have been called Vote for Kerry in the upcoming election. I learned nothing from the teacher other than how awsome Kerry was.

In college There was some Gov. class that I took. It was a entire semester of how evil Bush was. Say anything the teacher didnt agree with and she would lash out at you..........

Hawkshot99

Darn crunchy flatlanders with their birkenstocks and tiedyed shirts..I always forget that once you get out of Stowe, Burlington, Essex, Middlebury, Manchester and other desirable places in VT...it's mostly poor rednecks..

All the people who don't vote Obama are redneck racists, only clinging to their guns and religion.

obamamarx.jpg

Goodbye. Going to hang with all my rednecks.

drjeff

Something tells me that this thread won't make page 7 before it locked and gone :rolleyes:

All the people who don't vote Obama are redneck racists, only clinging to their guns and religion.

obamamarx.jpg

Goodbye. Going to hang with all my rednecks.

Either Redneck racists or people that like the way this country is headed..lol..change is what Obama is gonna bring...shoutout to howard Dean...wooohoooyeahhahahaha:spread:

ctenidae

1)

2) You're on the right track... a lot of young people don't vote because they don't care... because nothing directly affects them (except, like you said, a draft would)

They either don't care because their life will remain largely unchanged, or they're too immature to recognize changes in their lives will be directly influenced by the political landscape.

Or, they don't care because they aren't the "target audience."

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but about 2 years ago I asked Kiki McLain and Bay Buchanan what their parties had to say that concerned me, a married, white, educated male with no kids and (at the time) no mortgage, since all they could talk about were gay marriage, mortgage tax credits, and how stupid the other party is. You know, the environment, social security, insurance costs, that sort of thing. Kiki said, "You're not really the demographic we're after," and Bay said, "Buy a house and have a couple of kids, then come talk to us."

I've been jaded against either party ever since.

drjeff

Either Redneck racists or people that like the way this country is headed..lol..change is what Obama is gonna bring...shoutout to howard Dean...wooohoooyeahhahahaha:spread:

Carefull what you wish for there Steeze, your buddies proposed estate tax increase could have a BIG effect on some large $$ granite sales for your familes business :eek:

BTW, everyone do their homework, watch the debates starting this week, check out both Fox News AND one of the big 3 networks (need some contrasting views for good measure) and make and cast an educated vote on November 4th for who ever you feel the most comfortable with, and be thankfull that we live in the country where we can have open debate and cast our own votes :flag:

Beetlenut

...and be thankfull that we live in the country where we can have open debate and cast our own votes :flag:
Now if only we could be assured that those votes will in fact count! This whole electronic voting machine fiasco with no paper trail has me concerned!

noski

BTW, everyone do their homework, watch the debates starting this week, check out both Fox News AND one of the big 3 networks (need some contrasting views for good measure) and make and cast an educated vote on November 4th for who ever you feel the most comfortable with, and be thankfull that we live in the country where we can have open debate and cast our own votes :flag:
Amen. I will be tuned in to PBS on Friday evening at 9pm. There is alot riding on November 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.