• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Corona Virus, Mega Passes and crowds this weekend.....

drjeff

Going to be curious to see what effects everything going on right now has on crowds this weekend.... I realize that the weather situation, especially Saturday with a freeze up after the liquid tomorrow would likely have effected some of the crowds, but in addition I am wondering if we'll start to see a drastic fall off or a negligible fall off in typical crowd volume for this time of year based on if folks are, or aren't taking the "out of an abundance of caution" line being used very often right now to heart or not??

Smellytele

As far as skiing goes for the most part you are outside away from people. Unless in the lodge or riding some shitty bubble lift. I boot up in the parking lot, pee in the woods and tailgate this time of year and don’t ski places with bubble chairs. So I think I’ll be okay from skiing.
Lift lines may be of a concern and riding with others but now if someone asks” mind if I join you” I may say “yes I do”

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Not sure how much you've looked at the weather, but that will keep crowds very low this weekend.

We planned to come up and ski Smuggs and Jay Peak this weekend, but the conditions are going to be absolutely miserable & are cancelling plans. Crowds will be very low. Has nothing to do with coronavirus. In fact, spending the day outside would be great.

icecoast1

Going to be curious to see what effects everything going on right now has on crowds this weekend.... I realize that the weather situation, especially Saturday with a freeze up after the liquid tomorrow would likely have effected some of the crowds, but in addition I am wondering if we'll start to see a drastic fall off or a negligible fall off in typical crowd volume for this time of year based on if folks are, or aren't taking the "out of an abundance of caution" line being used very often right now to heart or not??

it's going to be 50 and rain friday going into the weekend. That alone will keep the crowds down. There will more than likely be a decrease in visits relating to flying and vacation ski trips but if you're driving and/or doing a day trip it's not that hard to go skiing and avoid the lodge/crowded areas, etc.

Kleetus

I think there is a real possibility that some ski areas shut their doors early over the virus risk if things keep progressing the way they are. Not so much because doing so greatly reduces the virus risk, but because the virus risk presents cover for resorts to close early and save $$$ since most are only open at this point as an obligation to pass holders.

Given the lean winter we have had in the east, I could see the paranoia over the virus being a convenient cover for areas to recoup some of their losses wile being able to conveniently state they are closing early for public safety instead of for monetary reasons. Maybe even out west too, especially at places that close in a couple weeks anyways.

drjeff

I think there is a real possibility that some ski areas shut their doors early over the virus risk if things keep progressing the way they are. Not so much because doing so greatly reduces the virus risk, but because the virus risk presents cover for resorts to close early and save $$$ since most are only open at this point as an obligation to pass holders.

Given the lean winter we have had in the east, I could see the paranoia over the virus being a convenient cover for areas to recoup some of their losses wile being able to conveniently state they are closing early for public safety instead of for monetary reasons. Maybe even out west too, especially at places that close in a couple weeks anyways.

Agree!

Wouldn't surprise me at all if in the next 24 or so hours, we see press releases from numerous, likely smaller and/or more Southern location ski areas that start off with the "out of an abundance of caution" phrase and follow with the announcement of their end of their '19-'20 season

JimG.

Staff member
Early closings may occur but since we are at the traditional next season pass price/early buy pricing time that is going to put a severe hurt on pass sales for 20-21. I think many resorts will be hard pressed to ask folks to sign up early and then shut down for 19-20. And there will be folks who take offense at an early close and not buy a pass for next season.

cdskier

Glenn

This right here. Marginal conditions and a pandemic going around would give enough reason for many places to close down.

kbroderick

Speaking as someone who lives in a small town with a big resort, not having an extra thousand people touching the freezer-case handles in the grocery store seems like a good thing to me. It could be that this is getting blown out of proportion, or it could be that we're under-reacting, and it's really hard to say right now because we don't have enough solid data.

And no, I'm not going to stop skiing, but I'm going to try to minimize my indoor time, because that's where the close proximity to other people is the greatest issue. If we could close lodges and just provide bathroom access (and hand-sanitizing stations), that would probably be an effective mitigation step, but I don't think that's realistic from an operational standpoint. I'm already being more vigilant about sanitizing my hands when I get in my truck, before touching the steering wheel or radio.

Given the data we do have available, and knowing that Maine is one of the older states in the nation (demographically), I see a net community benefit to reducing visitation, despite the huge economic hit that would come with that. Being prepared for it to be worse and being wrong is far better than not taking significant steps and ending up with an overwhelmed health-care system.

Yes, it's relatively easy for me to say that—my direct economic benefit from the resort being open at this point isn't significant, and I've got family members in elevated-risk categories—but I hope (and do believe) that the people making those decisions are considering the health impacts on their employees and the local community, as well as the short- and long-term economic impacts.

gladerider

i hear so many people calling this a hysteria, but based on what is going on in Italy, this thing is scary.

i am also curious what kind of weekend it would be like.

KustyTheKlown

driving to vermont in my private vehicle and skiing outside alone all day sounds a lot safer than hanging around this petri dish. ice be damned.

Zand

Boston seems to be a hotbed, I'll go with Wachusett.

They just put a spring pass on sale last week...if they shut down today they'd have to refund and that would never happen. Nashoba, Bradford, etc will be next.