• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched 12/13/14

xlr8r

Conditions: packed powder on top of frozen hardpack

My first day out on the year, too tired to go to where the goods are in northern NH or VT, so I just went to the Crotch and used my $35 mountain sports club ticket voucher (I will now have to buy more of those, good value). Slept in so I did not get there until 11am and skied until 4pm. Four main routes were open: galaxy to lower park, meteor, pluto's plunge, and milky way to supernova, with both sattelite summit and moonwalk open from the top of the rocket to access these routes. Considering the weather earlier in the week, crotched seemed to be in good shape. The summit area had some serious tree icing to show how much freezing rain the area must of had. The rocket broke down for about an hour around 1pm, but they quickly got the valley quad up and running (nice to see the lift crews hustle), and the double also ran all day.

Today ended up being good just to get my legs, feet, and rest of the body back into the groove of skiing again. I like to start my season off at small mountains like the crotch or wawa just to get up to speed again. The first 10 runs or so are always filled with lots of boot adjusting, and painful legs and feet on the lift rides. But by the end of the day after 20 runs I was feeling good, and had my boots tightened back to their normal position. Off to Stratton for two days next weekend.

KD7000

I was there today (Sunday 12/14) with my daughter- pretty similar conditions. Also our first day of the season. They actually have a reasonable amount of terrain open.

Interestingly, the Rocket also was shut down for some kind of maintenance around noon. Back up and running by about 1:00 (wasn't keeping exact track, but it wasn't out for too long). I wonder what's going on with that lift?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not sure, but it went down pretty much every day I skied there last year. Usually for only short periods of time, but still annoying.

Tin

Any base left in the woods from the early storm? The Curse of Ascutney lives for another season.

KD7000

We hit one of the glades trails... There was a decent base in there. Some hardpack, some ice with a few rocks poking through. Certainly wasn't bare, so it should be nice when they get another natural storm.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
With 5 reports for NH and only 3 for VT and NY each it seems NH didn't fair too badly. Matter of fact things are looking pretty good.

Savemeasammy

With 5 reports for NH and only 3 for VT and NY each it seems NH didn't fair too badly. Matter of fact things are looking pretty good.

Some of us skied in VT, but are too damn lazy to write trip reports. Here's a quick one for you: It was awesome.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

The Crotched Rocket always seems to break down. I don't know the full story but I've heard that some parts are constantly wearing out. I'd love to get the full details.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

reefer

Some of us skied in VT, but are too damn lazy to write trip reports. Here's a quick one for you: It was awesome.

Lame excuse. Not even a picture from three of the biggest posters in totally meaningless threads here, who are always looking for updated conditions from everyone else. Please...............................

Quietman

The Rocket ran fine for the 3 hours that I was there today. Conditions on open trails were great!

Quietman

None to speak of. Pluto's is groomed at 2/3 width as the snow hasn't filled in too much under the lift. I drifted near the lift a few times but the water bars are deep holes surrounded by snow. I know that the snow makers are itching to blow snow and Friday night temps should allow that. Snow on Sunday would really be nice!

Tin

Thanks. Might hold off then. Wish they would just have one bumped area. If they did it on the summit area people wouldn't be able to go flying into the cross cut area.

MadMadWorld

Lame excuse. Not even a picture from three of the biggest posters in totally meaningless threads here, who are always looking for updated conditions from everyone else. Please...............................

Whoa dude next time you want an invite just ask!

reefer

:lol:
Whoa dude next time you want an invite just ask!

Meant nothing bad, just let us know how it was, although it was pretty obvious this week......................
Lazy just seemed incorrect when there is time to post how good Killington was in a Crotched post.........
I do appreciate all the other input also in other threads.............................
Wish I could have made it Sunday.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

:lol:

Meant nothing bad, just let us know how it was, although it was pretty obvious this week......................
Lazy just seemed incorrect when there is time to post how good Killington was in a Crotched post.........
I do appreciate all the other input also in other threads.............................
Wish I could have made it Sunday.

No harm man. I blame Savemesammy on this...It was my first time out on the season and I didnt carry my phone on me in case I took some spills. There is always an open invite any time you want to make some turns.

reefer

No harm man. I blame Savemesammy on this...It was my first time out on the season and I didnt carry my phone on me in case I took some spills. There is always an open invite any time you want to make some turns.

Looking forward to it. Probably sooner than later........
So........ how has the skiing at Crotched been since this thread was started?

Savemeasammy

Looking forward to it. Probably sooner than later........
So........ how has the skiing at Crotched been since this thread was started?

Wait, what...? Crotched?

Oh yeah...

I live fairly close to Crotched, and it rained like a bastard here. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the skiing at Crotched is not as good now as when this thread was started.

I can't back this up with photos though... You know how I am. ;)