• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mountain 1/1/08

polski

Website
twitter.com
Date Skied: Jan 1, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Crotched Mountain NH

Conditions: PP with lots of freshies on the edges/in the woods in the a.m.; plentiful nearly boot-deep powder all over the place by late afternoon with knee-deep stashes easily found.

Trip Report: I'd hoped to get up to MRG but with work craziness on tap the rest of the week, sanity prevailed and I stayed closer to home. That, and the fact that there was plenty of snow in southern NH -- Crotched reported 12" on New Year's Eve (NWS said 10" in Francestown). and another blast of snow was forecast for this afternoon. We arrived about 10 a.m. and the first flakes fell on our first ride up the lift. Soon there was moderate to sometimes heavy snow and by the time we called it quits at 4:30 p.m. there was a good 6" of new pow. (Note: Crotched now says they got 10" yesterday. I didn't use a ruler and estimated the depth in the parking lot, probably conservatively.) Occasional sleet mixed in early at lower elevations but it was mostly snow. No time to get into a lot of details but it was outrageously good skiing, and better with every run. Favorite runs: Top of Comet Drop (nice pitch for freshies on the edge) > short stretch of Supernova > Final Frontier (wide glades); the steepish start to Pluto's Plunge (directly under the chair) and the big soft bumps further down; more big soft bumps on UFO; and the gentle woods at the edges of NCC-1701 (the name of which I now actually remember).

We left as the night skiing session began. Admire the bootpack artwork from the night before (when Crotched stayed open until 12:30 a.m.):

happynewyear_crotched2008.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_151

yep -- Crotched was definitly outstanding this week! Sounds like similar conditions to what me and Freebie found on New Year's Eve. I'm looking forward to Midnight Madness this weekend.