• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damn mechanics...(rant)

hammer

Anyone know of a good Volvo mechanic in the Nashua/Lowell area? Been going to the dealer so far and the only complaint repair-wise is that they should have replaced the pads when I had front rotors replaced (twice!) for judder, but I think it was because Volvo was being cheap on the maintenance plan. Cost is another matter...I'm sure I could save some money going to an independent.

When I have the front brakes done I plan on asking about whether I can get better aftermarket parts. I don't baby a car but I doubt my issues with brake rotors are driver-induced...

legalskier

We have an 04 Forester with 170k whose AC went kaput. My usual mechanic, who is excellent, originally thought the leak was up front but later found that it's somewhere in the dash. At that point he declined to go further, which is understandable because he's a small shop and the job requires too much time.
Now I have to decide whether to go to a dealer who I don't entirely trust from prior experience, or tough out the summer heat. Decisions, decisions.
:sad:

hammer

We have an 04 Forester with 170k whose AC went kaput. My usual mechanic, who is excellent, originally thought the leak was up front but later found that it's somewhere in the dash. At that point he declined to go further, which is understandable because he's a small shop and the job requires too much time.
Now I have to decide whether to go to a dealer who I don't entirely trust from prior experience, or tough out the summer heat. Decisions, decisions.
:sad:
We went through something similar with our old car...put $1000 into AC equipment that failed due to refrigerant leaks that ended up being in the evaporator up in the dash. Was our son's beater car so we (he) lived with it until other stuff went wrong that resulted in a check engine light which caused the car to fail inspection.

Good thing is that, based on averages, it will get cooler soon...maybe...

Geoff

I'm going to try to limp one more year with a 2003 Mountaineer as my winter beater to drive the 2 miles to the mountain. This year was new front shocks/struts, an ebrake cable, a brake line, and tires. The passenger window is stuck down and I'm now looking at a power window motor repair next on a window that already had the window regulator replaced a couple years ago. I really should have collapsed down to one car but everything is paid for and my VW GTI still has less than 80,000 miles on it.