• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Daycare (quality, comments, etc) in No. VT.

nicks79

Has anyone used daycare services at Sugarbush, Stowe, Smuggs, Killington or Jay? Was wondering if you have any comments and/or suggestions, experiences to share..... Would like to leave 1 year old for half a day or so, if possible. Also - are there any off-mountain day care places near the above mentioned hills that are less $$?
Any comments will be appreciated.

JFP

We just had a trip last week and used the daycares at Sunday River, Sugarbush and MRG and put in our 16 month old boy. All were reasonably priced (I felt). I think SR and MRG were 75- both of these provided food. Sugarbush was 90- did not provide food. I think I would have been like $68 at the bush but our son was right on there dividing line b/n infant and toddler so they charged 90- but had him with the littler kids (99 for infant). We agreed they were all good, my wife thought sugarbush's was the best of the three- they were all pretty much like his normal daycare and he adapted pretty well- but he's easy going. To stay from 9-4, its like $10-13 an hour.. not bad babysitter rates.

We also skied Stowe but it was like $150 for the day for daycare so we skipped it (my wife was actually not skiing when we went to VT but rather tagging along, working from the road & visiting friends).

ceo

I've been to Sugarbush's; it was run by this mean old hag who told us that any kid who touched another kid would be sent to the nap room. Which prompted me to run around with my arms stretched out singing "I'll touch no one!" But that was almost 40 years ago and I'm sure she doesn't work there anymore.

drjeff

The reality is that most medium to large (and even some smaller resorts these days) WILL all have a very good daycare program. Simply put, with what most charge for a day, it's essentially another lift ticket (and often more) revenue wise for the mountain. This way you get mom + dad + the kid(s) into the resort revenue stream. Also, most resorts are well aware of what type of daycare standards that their clientele are used too, and as such have made upgrades to their daycare facilities in the recent past to meet these expectations. Heck, there are a few resorts that I've been too, especially as the kids transition into toddlers, where the facilities are so nice and fun for the kids, that one is much more likely to experience the dreaded hissy fit/temper tantrum, when you go to pick them up instead of the more classical drop off/separation anxiety fit ;)

Lastly, speaking from past experiences with my own kids, if you want to use a daycare facility at a ski area, BOOK EARLY!!!! They are state licensed facilities and as such can only accomodate X number of kids in the facility per day based on state regulations. If you're looking to book last minute on say a holiday weekend or when a storm hits for a Saturday powder day, you may be out of luck last minute :-( Also, in VT in particular, as my sister in-law found out 3 weekends ago with my 10 month old nephew, regardless of if a diaper is dirty or not, VT State Daycare regulations mandate that diapers be changed every 2 hours, so bring PLENTY!!!

Last ski area daycare tidbit that I learned with my kids. Forget bringing their regular diaper bag. The easiest thing to bring as a diaper bag, is Ziplock makes some BIG storage bags (like you can fit a pillow in them, WAY bigger than their gallon sized bags we all use in the kitchen). These big ziplock bags make it so much easier to quickly look through the bag to see if all the items you brought with your child are in there vs. having to take everything out of the typical diaper bag (the staff of the daycare facility also tend to appreciate this as it makes their job of seeing what you're bringing for your child easier too!)

ceo

Oh, my other complaint about Sugarbush daycare in 1974 was that they didn't take us out skiing nearly enough. But I had that complaint about every ski area daycare I was ever in.

elks

I'll let you know how it pans out, but Jay Peak offers free daycare as part of their Spring deals if you book lodging. We're going up Sunday night and they are providing free daycare for 2 kids on Sunday & Monday, lift tickets and water park tickets for 2 adults / 2 kids for both days for $200 and change... About as good of a deal as I've ever seen.

nicks79

I'll let you know how it pans out, but Jay Peak offers free daycare as part of their Spring deals if you book lodging. We're going up Sunday night and they are providing free daycare for 2 kids on Sunday & Monday, lift tickets and water park tickets for 2 adults / 2 kids for both days for $200 and change... About as good of a deal as I've ever seen.

Where did you find this deal to Jay for $200?
Thanks

elks

Where did you find this deal to Jay for $200?
Thanks

It's part of their Spring Deals. I called the main number to book. They put us in a brand new 1br condo with kitchen and living room with pullout couch. Really a great, great deal. Daycare is convenient. There are two locations. We used the one at the Tram Haus lodge. Too bad the weather didn't hold up on Monday. It was pouring rain after 9:30AM. Some wet snow at the top. Coverage is still good overall. Off trail you certainly have to look out for bare spots and other natural obstacles poking through. Don't forgot your rub-on wax! It's that time of year up there...