• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you guys think this will be a good replacement car for skiing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moguler6

Stage 3 for LGT's is considered heavily modded. It requires a new turbo, intercooler, injectors, and fuel pump! Stage 3 power also tends to destroy the stock 5sp tranny, so most people upgrade that too, and also why the STI comes with the beefed up 6sp. What you listed is only Stage 2 and you won't be doing 3.2 second pulls. I love subies and would never recommend someone buy a Stage 3 LGT for a daily driver.

VTKilarney

So a guy who knows a ton about Subarus is dumping this after only 1,000 miles of driving.

Nah... No red flags there...

And what's the difference in insurance costs, especially with an accident payout now on your record?

Jcb890

Well I think you had me beat on the 1990 Subaru Loyale hand-me-down with like 200k miles that needed a fresh pint of oil every 100 miles :lol:

I have an unlimited Cumberland Farms gas card provided to me as a bonus for work. I never pay for gas :)

JCB I just really like Legacys. I miss my 1995, it was an insanely reliable car and fun to drive even though not very fast.

When I say money is not the issue it doesn't mean I'm going to go from 12,000 to 40,000 hehe

I like 'em too.

Man, these guys are killing you here today. In the end, its his/your money to do with what you please. If that's the car you like/love, you're going to buy one anyways and it doesn't matter what people on here think. You're not on a car forum talking about modified cars, so of course people are going to be suspect of buying a car for a premium price with some modifications.

That being said, the price still appears a bit high for the car as a 2008 Legact GT-Limited on Kelley Blue Book w/ 102k is just over $9,100.

ChicoKat

There is something seriously wrong when the Tuna/Car thread has more posts than the naked Lindsey Vonn thread. We need snow in a bad way....

Edd

I like 'em too.

Man, these guys are killing you here today. In the end, its his/your money to do with what you please. If that's the car you like/love, you're going to buy one anyways and it doesn't matter what people on here think.

He literally created this thread to see what people think. It's in the thread title.

makimono

attachment.php

Nice...Looks fun!

I'd def mount a set of snow tires on some stock rims for winter. And I've had bad experience with Subaru Turbos (and head gaskets and cv joints) but that was 20 years ago, and the Millennium Falcon was still a good ski car.

sub_zps8e4zcmzq.jpg

Jcb890

He literally created this thread to see what people think. It's in the thread title.

I know, it just seems like most of the guys on here are more "tame" than many of the other forums I'm on. But, with this lack of snow, I think that goes out the window. :lol:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Probably will next winter. I'll just try to avoid driving on icy days until then. It definitely needs a ski rack because no way I'm throwing a bunch of skis in a leather seated sedan. (well, maybe until I get a ski rack I'll put them through the trunk)

One of my pet Peeves ....If your going to put your skis in a clamp type roof rack at least cover your bindings .
Road salt/sand dirt. Wicked bad for bindings.

VTKilarney

not that I am trying to continue humble-bragging here, but money is not the limiting factor here.
If money is not a limiting factor, why on earth would you finance a vehicle with 108,000 miles, especially when you are paying $12,000 or less? Do you just enjoy handing money over to a bank rather than keeping it in your wallet?

Tin

When was the clutch replaced/if ever? Even if lately the city driving tore it up I'm sure. Timing belt been replaced yet? If not add $900-1200 as it will need to be done ASAP before you have a $12,000 lawn ornament. Piston rings and oil consumption? What was the oil level when you looked at it? Check the boots on the axles? Looks for prior wet/grease spots?

Have you asked why the guy is selling it after only owning it for a year? And letting it sit to put on 1000 miles in one year? That does a lot more harm than 1000 miles per month. Evidence of mice? They love the coating on wires and clogging shit up, and I GUARANTEE they have made a home in there at some point if it was driven 1000 miles in a year as the seller mentions in the ad.

Who installed the mods? A professional or amateur? Big difference, especially with amateur electronics. Amateur install + sitting = FIRE.

You've seem to have made up your mind but from someone who has a good deal of experience playing under the hood, RUN.

Even at 9-10 thousand the car could be a ticking time bomb given the mods and how it must have been driven, even with routine maintenance. Mods to a car like this mean absolutely nothing, it is like putting a swimming pool in and expecting it to raise the value of your home. If it was in the 7-8 range, I would say maybe, but 12k is stupid pricey for a Subaru with 100k+. Those mods will do more harm than good in terms of the life of the car and your wallet.

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

Tin has a good point I forgot. The CV joint cover on the turbo side gets roasted in these cars.

Tin

Tin has a good point I forgot. The CV joint cover on the turbo side gets roasted in these cars.

And are a bitch to replace.

I still want to know why the guy is selling it after only a year. And putting only 1000 miles on in one year is awful for the car. Probably took some life off the turbo and engine.

VTKilarney

And are a bitch to replace.

I still want to know why the guy is selling it after only a year. And putting only 1000 miles on in one year is awful for the car. Probably took some life off the turbo and engine.

I hit on that question right away. The same seller posted his "cousin's" Subaru Outback for sale on the same forum. The Outback's engine was blown because it had no oil. (listing: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nyc-2006-outback-limited-245367.html?t=245367 )

Also, Tuna goes on and on about how mint the car is, and how it's never had any damage. Yet the same seller posted in the forum that he needed a passenger side mirror for a 2008 GT. (here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-obp-gt-side-mirrors-249258.html?p=5322686#post5322686 )

I can't say for sure that the mirror was needed for the same car, but a reasonable person would see that as a distinct possibility.

I would pass on this car in a heartbeat. Even if everything checked out, which it doesn't, I would not buy a New York City car with that high mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.