• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you guys think this will be a good replacement car for skiing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sneak

Good sir
You and I have similar incomes. I chose to replace an aging Mazda3 hatch purchased new...with a 2015 GTI w/performance package (limited slip differential and brakes from the Golf R/Audi S3). No AWD, but dedicated snow tires and it's a monster in the snow, courtesy of that limited slip diff. If you reconsider and go new, I heartily endorse the GTI.

Lest my automotive knowledge be questioned...well, who cares...but other past and present cars of mine include some neat hardware (mk2 GTI, Corrado VR6, BMW 325is, antique 911 etc)

The new WRX is awfully nice if you are set on AWD...both the GTI and WRX have excellent resale value as well.

Edit: I hope you realize the only way you are getting sub 5 second 0 to 60 times with that car (the legacy GT or WRX for that matter) is by dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm and being absolutely brutal on the drivetrain. Frankly, 5-60 mph is a better indicator of an engines power delivery and flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Tuna -

What state is the seller in? Give me the VIN and the owners name and I will run both through NCIC as well as check out any accident reports to make sure it matches up with what you are seeing.

VTKilarney

Tuna -

What state is the seller in? Give me the VIN and the owners name and I will run both through NCIC as well as check out any accident reports to make sure it matches up with what you are seeing.

I posted the link to the listing earlier in this thread. If you follow that link you can find the Vin number.

VTKilarney

I spoke to a Subaru mechanic that I know. He just laughed. His advice is to make sure that you have funds set aside to replace the short block. It's common for these vehicles to need upwards of $6k worth of work when they are a few years old. New turbo unit, new short block, new clutch, etc.

KustyTheKlown

DINs to 14, admits to frequent yard sales

Does not compute.

Do you weigh >225 and drop 20 footers? I doubt it

MadMadWorld

We need to have a gathering for just the most famous AZ characters. I would pay to ride a lift with Tuna, VTK, and Krusty. Hell I would subject myself to Mount Snow and it's 6 pack if I could include Highway Star.

KustyTheKlown

lol. you will never ever ever see me at mount snow. only reason stratton has made a few appearances is because of max pass. i'm questioning max pass for next year. i only like killington for early and late season, pico has barely opened, stratton is a bore without trees, and river loaf and tremblant are too far. max pass would really benefit from a quality option in northern new england. throw 5 days at jay or sugarbush on that pass and i'm a customer for life.

WWF-VT

"165mph and will do a 0-60 sprint in 3.2 seconds"....would definitely be a deal breaker for me. You can't get something with more top end speed and faster time to 60 mph?

Savemeasammy

"165mph and will do a 0-60 sprint in 3.2 seconds"....would definitely be a deal breaker for me. You can't get something with more top end speed and faster time to 60 mph?

Exactly. Sometimes you need to get from 0-60 in 3 seconds flat to get to that killer parking space first.

Keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

20,000 fewer miles for $1,000 more asking price, and the guy is willing to dicker:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...subaru-legacy-gt-5eat-nav-stage-2-245250.html

Flushing, New York seems to have a lot of these cars.

Looking at the ads on the internet, I see a pattern here. Young men buy this car thinking it's cool. They reach age 30, get married, and decide that it is time to grow up and to reassess what life's most important priorities are. They list the car for sale. Presumably for an unmarried 20-something to purchase.

There are also sellers trying to unload junk on unsuspecting buyers.

The Sneak

20,000 fewer miles for $1,000 more asking price, and the guy is willing to dicker:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...subaru-legacy-gt-5eat-nav-stage-2-245250.html

Looking at the ads on the internet, I see a pattern here. Young men buy this car thinking it's cool. They reach age 30, get married, and decide that it is time to grow up and to reassess what life's most important priorities are. They list the car for sale. Presumably for an unmarried 20-something to purchase.

I think that is certainly the case with the more 'boy racer' cars, but the Legacy GT was positioned as a more comfortable, more upscale car. It was certainly quite a bit more expensive than the Impreza WRX. I don't think many 25 years bought Legacy GTs new. Now, it's getting a bit older and has depreciated so these cars are on there 2nd and 3rd owners, who then proceed to tune them for MOAR POWR and beat them into the ground.

Beware the high performance automobile on its 2nd or 3rd owner. Even more so when there are a lack of service or rebuild records, or any 'stories' whatsoever. It's not, however, like this is the most terrible choice the thread starter could make. He could be looking at a decade old Audi S4 with the same mileage.

frapcap

Something else I thought of- keep an eye on the oil level as those turbos love to burn it. My old LGT used a quart every 1,500 miles.

Hell, my new 2015 Impreza just used 2 quarts over 3,300 miles. Thankfully its a lease and it isn't going to be my problem in the future after I turn it in.

Cannonball

If I'm following this thread correctly.... You have tracked down the original listing Tuna is looking at. You've read through the Subie forums about this particular car. You've read historical posts by the seller to look for clues of accidents. You've talked to a mechanic about this car. You checked carfax. And you've researched similar cars for sale in the area.

Wow! You have some serious free time on your hands. You've probably spent more time on this purchase than Tuna has. Maybe he can just pay you to find a car for him.

VTKilarney

If I'm following this thread correctly.... You have tracked down the original listing Tuna is looking at. You've read through the Subie forums about this particular car. You've read historical posts by the seller to look for clues of accidents. You've talked to a mechanic about this car. You checked carfax. And you've researched similar cars for sale in the area.

Wow! You have some serious free time on your hands. You've probably spent more time on this purchase than Tuna has. Maybe he can just pay you to find a car for him.

I didn't do all of those things, but what I did do took less than10 minutes. Google works wonders. The conversation with the mechanic happened at a basketball game. We were sitting next to each other.

Nice try, though.

But your point is a good one. In less than 10 minutes I knew that this car is to be avoided.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.