• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you guys think this will be a good replacement car for skiing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdfreetuna

I'm picking up a new car either this or next weekend depending when my loan check comes in (at 2.8% APR :( )

Many of you by now have probably seen my crashed Impreza. So I pulled the trigger and have another car lined up. I don't know if it's good though..

2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
5 speed manual, turbocharged
Obsidian Black Pearl
Clean title - no accidents
100k miles

It's got a few upgrades that Idk if they are good either..

Cobb Catted Downpipe
Cobb Accessport v3 stage 2 93
Blacked out headlights w/ halos and HID kit
17 inch Drag DR-66 rims w/ Hankook Ventus V2 all season tires (~1k miles)

I'm worried it only goes 165mph and will do a 0-60 sprint in 3.2 seconds. Concerned about the lack of horsepower too, being only 3x what my Impreza had.

The other problem I'm thinking is that with the mods I'll probably get 45 mpg coming downhill from VT because I'll almost not have to touch the gas since the turbo will always be engaged through a smooth band of RPMs and all the extra cold air available to the motor.

Good thing gas is cheap, I guess, it takes 93.

Also not sure if it's a looker :lol:

NewSuby.jpg

bdfreetuna

Probably will next winter. I'll just try to avoid driving on icy days until then. It definitely needs a ski rack because no way I'm throwing a bunch of skis in a leather seated sedan. (well, maybe until I get a ski rack I'll put them through the trunk)

Needs an NRA decal (basically your 2nd anti-theft deterrent) and a couple small, neatly placed ski resort decals. Good thing I got a bag of those from the BEMI show.

JoeB-Z

I have a 2005 Legacy GT wagon. An excellent ski vehicle as yours will be. I do put snow tires on it. Two mechanical issues and I'm not sure if Subaru fixed them by 2008. The turbo has issues with oil starvation and many have needed to be replaced before 100K. Oil line upgrades are available- see legacygt.com. Also, if the clutch starts to act up, replace it promptly. If the throw out bearing fails, it can destroy the "snout" of the transmission.

Edd

I don't see the price in your post. Not knowing that, I would not roll the dice on a manual turbocharged vehicle with 100K miles. Too many variables. You have no clue how hard it's been run in the last 8 years or so. It's a fast car and people drive fast cars fast.

Thumbs down, and I love Subarus.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would not buy a vehicle that heavily modified. That's a big yellow flag that the previous driver drove it hard.

I'd be more inclined to find the same car with zero modification and do it myself should I want the added performance.

bdfreetuna

The 2008/2009 models are considered to be the most reliable and fun to drive of the Legacy GT's... including up to 2013 or so when they discontinued the model due to slow sales. (now they focus on Impreza STI and WRX)

The vehicle is actually not that "heavily modded". It's a simple processor hack, my father's plow truck has the same except with less features. Other than that just a better exhaust and downpipe and rims and headlights.

All these mods were put in by the 2nd owner who only drove the car for 1k miles. He's a hobbyist and has a lot of cars he kind of tunes up and collects or sells. The first owner drove the car unmodded and replaced oil every 3500k miles. This car is pretty darn fresh.

I'm sure the car has been driven fast but probably only for a few test drives by the 2nd owner who I've spoken to at length, he's on the Legacy forums, and definitely knows his stuff.

This will be my 5th Subaru and I have no problem at all replacing an engine at some point if need be. I've taken Subys to 300k+ in the past. 108k is basically a new car to me. Nicely broken in.

The price is $12,000. My payments will be about $210 a month, less than my old car. I'm not going to discuss my household income but this is well within our range of affordability.

The only way you could ruin this car is by hacking the chip to kick in turbo at 22 PSI at some stupid low RPM like 1500 or 2000. It wouldn't ruin the car but if you drove it around like that for a long time it would strain the engine and certainly reduce the life-span of the motor. No reason to do something like that.

Last edited:

hammer

Sounds like you have made up your mind already...

Personally I'd stay away from any vehicle that has aftermarket upgrades, but I'm risk averse. You mentioned the car had no accidents...did you pull a Carfax report on the VIN to verify that the 2nd owner only had the car for a short time?

bdfreetuna

I have a 2005 Legacy GT wagon. An excellent ski vehicle as yours will be. I do put snow tires on it. Two mechanical issues and I'm not sure if Subaru fixed them by 2008. The turbo has issues with oil starvation and many have needed to be replaced before 100K. Oil line upgrades are available- see legacygt.com. Also, if the clutch starts to act up, replace it promptly. If the throw out bearing fails, it can destroy the "snout" of the transmission.

Good tip on the 2nd. Regarding the turbo issues, they did fix that for 2008/2009 models (and all turbo Subies since).

bdfreetuna

I would not pay 5 figures for that car. Maybe $8-9000.

This is a $38,000 car with 108k and a Subaru.

I was looking for a 08/09 Legacy GT but found a Limited (maximum specs) with awesome upgrades and in perfect driving condition.

And yes the car checks out, the owner has told me the truth about the vehicle and gone above and beyond in terms of speaking with me and giving me advice about the car (he says don't mod it anymore, for example, this is perfect as-is).

And yes my mind is made up :lol: this thread was kind of a joke but interesting to see what others think as well.

He was asking 12,500 I got him down 12,000. With the upgrades he's put in it's worth more than the Clearbook. At least to me.

Keep in mind this car would cost way more from a dealer. I've looked around quite a bit. This is a rare ride.

bdfreetuna

Basically the mods bring it up to the performance of the 08 Legacy GT Spec.B ... see what you can find one of those for, if you can even find it.

Actually a little better ;)

Jcb890

Nice subtle brag up there and congrats on the new ride!:lol:

I had a 2005 Legacy GT-Limited in Garnett Red Pearl. I loved that car. Mine was a bit more heavily modified than yours with a block swap from an STi, forged pistons, a larger turbo, full 3" exhaust, etc. w/ 300 whp / 310 wtq - it was a blast to drive. In theory and practice, you'll get better gas mileage in a turbo car which has a larger turbo that does not spool up under normal acceleration/cruising on the highway.

As long as it isn't beat to piss, that thing should be fine. The Legacy's tend to have far less problems in this area than the WRX's or STi's which younger people usually drive and beat on.

I can't remember how long the interior is in them, but I recall it being pretty spacious. My 2005 I could lay down the back seat, so putting a board/skis in there isn't a huge deal as long as you don't have the board/skis touching leather.

Those tires on it now won't be good in the snow. If you get some dedicated snow tires on it though, that should be a great car for traveling up to ski country.

Jcb890

This is a $38,000 car with 108k and a Subaru.

I was looking for a 08/09 Legacy GT but found a Limited (maximum specs) with awesome upgrades and in perfect driving condition.

And yes the car checks out, the owner has told me the truth about the vehicle and gone above and beyond in terms of speaking with me and giving me advice about the car (he says don't mod it anymore, for example, this is perfect as-is).

And yes my mind is made up :lol: this thread was kind of a joke but interesting to see what others think as well.

He was asking 12,500 I got him down 12,000. With the upgrades he's put in it's worth more than the Clearbook. At least to me.

Keep in mind this car would cost way more from a dealer. I've looked around quite a bit. This is a rare ride.

I didn't see any suspension work mentioned in the OP, but the main differences with the Spec. B's was a 6-speed transmission and upgraded suspension. However, completely not worth the huge premium they slapped on it... I think it was like another $10-12k when new for the Spec. B.

bdfreetuna

I didn't see any suspension work mentioned in the OP, but the main differences with the Spec. B's was a 6-speed transmission and upgraded suspension. However, completely not worth the huge premium they slapped on it... I think it was like another $10-12k when new for the Spec. B.

Right. It's a 5-speed, normal suspension (of course with the Sharp and Sharp# switches to tune handling that is standard).

I meant in terms of HP and speed with the Cobb upgrades.

Spec.B might be a little nicer but I'd wager this car would beat it slightly in a race if you had the Accessport dialed in right.

and thank you I plan on enjoying the heck out of this car and keeping it for a long time. Going to be one of the nicest cars around town.

Spec.B also had a better turbo gauge and I thought a few more HP due to engine tunes. Since I have Accessport V3 I'll have a digital smart-phone style display showing not only that but all kinds of stats simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.