• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

Smellytele

Of course

of course. I’ve learnt to skate precisely for days like that. I don’t enjoy skiing ice. But skating is just perfect!

I see people riding their bike in pouring rain too. I’m sure they ‘try’ to enjoy it.
Not sure where you will skate. Most lakes aren’t frozen.
It’s not something “else”, it’s something a great deal more fun!

Climate change notwithstanding, there’s more to life than skiing every day. Skiing isn’t everything, it’s just ONE of the many fun things that makes up “life”.

I’m far more of a cycling nut than I’m a skiing nut. Still, I won’t bike on rainy days. Nor do I ski on days of refrozen rain.
no refrozen anything here at Bolton. What is open is great with great coverage. Some natural trails open as well. No crowds. Good day so far

Kingslug20

You prolly scored the best day today...
I did have a pretty good sandwich though..

Kingslug20

Watching YouTube vid of california...there is something called too much...snow...
Holy canoli....

Kingslug20

Freezing mist..not enough open..what was open was very crowded and very iced up...this could change of course...you have to go to know..

Hillwalker95

Freezing mist..not enough open..what was open was very crowded and very iced up...this could change of course...you have to go to know..
Thanks bud. Jay in my experience is bimodal. Been twice in the past - first time several years ago at Xmas - was pretty much like you describe above. The second was Feb 2021 - it was outstanding. Powder better than the West.

Kingslug20

Jay hates me...rarely good when I'm there..
But I'll keep trying..only way to get to know it.

ThatGuy

If the other NoVT mountains are great Jay will be heavenly. If they are struggling Jay will be like hell frozen over.

Smellytele

If the other NoVT mountains are great Jay will be heavenly. If they are struggling Jay will be like hell frozen over.
Bolton Valley wasn't bad. Not Great but not a frozen hell or freezing drizzle as Jay was described. Snowed and trails were in good shape until later in the afternoon.
I only go to Jay when the glades are open. Well did go there opening day this year as it was free.

GregoryIsaacs

Here we go again! Looks like most of north country is gonna get some sort of icing tonight into tomorrow. Hopefully will be another base builder for most!

Seems like this one might be a longer duration piss fest than we saw pre xmas, but with considerable cold to follow.

Hopefully the big players will have enough time to de-ice before the masses come expecting their waist deep pow!

KustyTheKlown

noVT will be fine and the whole spine gets snow on the backside. chill.

I'm not expecting waist deep anything. showing up to jay Saturday i expect thoroughly skied in new snow, which makes me more comfy in low tide woods anyway. let someone else find the snakes on thurs/fri.

skiur

Vermont looks like it will be just fine from Killington north, may be a little sleet mixing in under 2500 ft but that won't hurt anything.

drjeff

Here we go again! Looks like most of north country is gonna get some sort of icing tonight into tomorrow. Hopefully will be another base builder for most!

Seems like this one might be a longer duration piss fest than we saw pre xmas, but with considerable cold to follow.

Hopefully the big players will have enough time to de-ice before the masses come expecting their waist deep pow!

I think that more resorts, in de-icing situations, NEED to get more proactive on their social media pages like Wachusett did earlier this week!

Far too many folks have absolutely no clue at some of the logistical challenges that Mother Nature can throw at mountain ops, and then rant like a todler in need of a nap about why such and such a lift isn't open/they're just saving the powder for themselves/it's not windy down at the base/etc, etc, etc