• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

kingslug

Reports are all over the place..8 to 12 inches, or rain and snow, or snow about an inch..or........
The weather channel...very optimistic!

cdskier

Yup, this is one of those storms to get in position, be prepared for and ride whatever ends up falling. Or bailing. No good indication how it will swing.

Yea...I'll decide what I'm doing when I wake up Saturday morning and look at the snow report (and out my windows).

KustyTheKlown

May rebook at Bolton with indy pass but wife isn't going, just me a 2 sons.

i've got bolton sunday and magic monday booked. got a pcr test yesterday which should have a result tomorrow morning.

driving to rutland tomorrow evening and from rutland to bolton sunday morning should be interesting.

normally i take the taconic up but tomorrow is an 87 to 4 type of drive. and i think up to bolton is a 4>91>89 drive instead of 7, given weather.

Slidebrook87

Let’s hope The Weather Channel is correct. 5-8 Saturday, 1-3 Sunday.

Attachments

• 1729D03A-701C-4B4E-9065-4EF8A64584AF.jpeg
    1729D03A-701C-4B4E-9065-4EF8A64584AF.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 08B17F97-D606-48E1-B886-ACB1728C9815.jpeg
    08B17F97-D606-48E1-B886-ACB1728C9815.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 7

KustyTheKlown

based on who posted it, probably sugarbush. but every major eastern ski weather site is now in general agreement that its an elevation dependent 8"-12"+ up and down the green mountain spine, with significantly less in the valleys.

abc

Opensnow.com has more details.

It will snow, turn to rain briefly (how "brief" depends on latitude and altitude), then turn back to snow.

A net snow gain for most mountains.

But depending on where you go, Saturday may be a bit.....wet! :(

Should be good skiing Sunday & Monday for all.

1dog

at 4000' all snow - most lifts may be on wind hold - up to 75MPH gusts expected. Good week for snow accumulation either way,

cdskier

at 4000' all snow - most lifts may be on wind hold - up to 75MPH gusts expected. Good week for snow accumulation either way,

Yes...Wind holds are a strong possibility that not many people are talking about yet (but should be).

KustyTheKlown

basically saturday isnt a good day. wind risks abound and possible flip to rain mid day. sunday and monday should be great.

i'm driving up tomorrow afternoon and sticking to the valleys as much as i can where they will only get 1-3".

cdskier

basically saturday isnt a good day. wind risks abound and possible flip to rain mid day. sunday and monday should be great.

i'm driving up tomorrow afternoon and sticking to the valleys as much as i can where they will only get 1-3".
I got out this afternoon finally after I was done working for my first turns of the season. I'll decide on tomorrow when I wake up in the morning. I'm definitely a bit concerned that I might end up staying in the condo all day if it is sloppy or wind holds (I don't need/want to deal with either of those on my 2nd day out). I'm hoping for the best though.

kingslug

Will suck as I sit home watching weather reports but the east needs some snow. At the moment all I care about is Platt. And you can never get an accurate report for that place. Just have to show up.

abc

Will suck as I sit home watching weather reports but the east needs some snow. At the moment all I care about is Platt. And you can never get an accurate report for that place. Just have to show up.
Actually Platty stands to get something good. When I was skiing Platty, I looked at the forecast for the best case of Belleayre and/or Hunter. And that's usually what Platty gets.

This season, I'm not chasing first track of any sort. I'm too far from most mountains (not an early person to get out at 5am or anything like that). And I'm not comfortable staying in hotels. So it's just sloppy seconds, probably in the trees.

But sadly, I haven't had a single day yet. (missed the powder day at Hunter because the plow didn't come)