• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does the Postal Service need an overhaul?

Glenn

Somewhat of a long article, but a very good read: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_23/b4231060885070.htm

Got me thinking on a few levels; do we need a government run organization that delivers junkmail? Couldn't that be farmed out to a private company? The USPS could focus on First Class stuff that "needs" to get there; invoices/bills, checks, ect. Also, why not cut back on the days they deliver?

Ever look at what you get in the mail? I'd say 95% of what we get at home is just junkmail. Even at work (my dept at least) we get a lot of flyers and promo stuff.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've actually gotten rid of most of my junk mail through opt-out campaigns, but I do still get a fair share. I'd like it to go even less. Every day when I pick up my mail the first thing I do is throw out all the crap I don't need. Usually I'm left with 1- 2 pieces I actually need to worry or do something about.

Funny story: my father in law's neighbors are in a "brawl" with another set of their neighbors. The one neighbor subscribed to hundreds and hundreds of mailers online and has them sent to the neighbors house just to piss him off. :lol:

Glenn

LOL! He could have just signed them up for Victoria's Secret catalogs. It seems like we get 7 or 8 of those a week.

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah, but don't you still feel good when you get a card or a letter from an actual person?

Yeah, I guess. Getting a card is pretty rare though (birthday and anniversary), I never get any letters. If someone has that much to say email is much more effective. Even my parents finally joined the modern age several years ago. If I had to wait a few days until I actually saw the person who would have otherwise sent my birthday card it wouldn't be the end of the world.

o3jeff

Did anyone read the whole thing? And they wonder where the problem is...

"The Postmaster General promises that if the USPS is excused from its annual health-care prepayment" just write off a few billion" , problem solved for today...

"the agency’s union contracts prohibit layoffs" wtf? I wish my job couldn't lay me off

"In March it reached a four-and-a-half-year agreement with the 250,000-member American Postal Workers Union, which represents mail clerks, drivers, mechanics, and custodians. The pact extends the no-layoff provision and provides a 3.5 percent raise for APWU members over the period of the contract, along with seven upcapped cost-of-living increases. The union is happy." I would be happy too

"He argues the agency should be increasing rather than cutting its services. One of his ideas is to outfit postal trucks with sensors so mail carriers can thwart possible biological terrorist attacks. "They can work with Homeland Security to detect things that are in the air," This guy serious? :lol:

Bottom line is they have to run it like a business, if it isn't making money things have to change and people need to go.

Black Phantom

Did anyone read the whole thing? And they wonder where the problem is...

"The Postmaster General promises that if the USPS is excused from its annual health-care prepayment" just write off a few billion" , problem solved for today...

"the agency’s union contracts prohibit layoffs" wtf? I wish my job couldn't lay me off

"In March it reached a four-and-a-half-year agreement with the 250,000-member American Postal Workers Union, which represents mail clerks, drivers, mechanics, and custodians. The pact extends the no-layoff provision and provides a 3.5 percent raise for APWU members over the period of the contract, along with seven upcapped cost-of-living increases. The union is happy." I would be happy too

"He argues the agency should be increasing rather than cutting its services. One of his ideas is to outfit postal trucks with sensors so mail carriers can thwart possible biological terrorist attacks. "They can work with Homeland Security to detect things that are in the air," This guy serious? :lol:

Bottom line is they have to run it like a business, if it isn't making money things have to change and people need to go.

Sounds like a certain ski area that is being discussed in another forum.

What will they ever do with all of the layabouts if the USPS is dismantled?

deadheadskier

Staff member
They'd have to eliminate delivery days for sure if they got rid of delivering junk mail. The junk mail is probably the only thing keeping the USPS from being in even greater debt.

o3jeff

Sounds like a certain ski area that is being discussed in another forum.

What will they ever do with all of the layabouts if the USPS is dismantled?

The sad part is the employees they are entitled to everything and don't care where the money is coming from!

deadheadskier

Staff member
personally,

I think all junk snail mail, email, phone calls etc, should be 100% opt in. If I don't ask to be contacted, don't contact me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I work in Sales :lol:

In the business world I don't have a problem with solicitors, but when I'm home? Leave me the eff alone.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Unfortunately, I am forced to have a PO Box because USPS does not deliver to my condo. Our local PO has one hero clerk surrounded by a bunch of slugs. I wish I could completely eliminate my need for snail mail but a lot of stuff I need is still done by snail mail instead of email. The further from civilization you get, the more likely you are to suffer this problem. :roll:

Have they eliminated Saturday delivery yet? That alone is a no brainer. There is no reason to have Saturday delivery and lobby hours. UPS does not delivery Saturday.

For package, USPS is still cheaper than UPS and FedEx. Not by a ton if you get delivery confirmation, tracking, and insurance. Service is generally worse. Surprised to see that whole no lay offs thing. No wonder I sometimes get poor service... no one fears for their job. That is a bad precedent from a productivity and service perspective. Not to mention budgets. Less people use the mail but the most controllable expense must remain the same until people retire? Ick.

I say keep raising stamp prices until it gets cost prohibitive for businesses and organizations NOT to go electronic. That will also cut back on the junk mail issue as well.

I am not huge on the whole "outsource everything" band wagon. But if USPS is not profitable, there is no reason we should have to pay to subsidize an outdated and antiquated system, especially when other services like UPS and FedEx could take over those services. Prices would likely go up. But those that won't move electronic should pay for their vices.

And later on, I'll let you know how I really feel. :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
UPS does deliver on Saturday. The flat fee (at least for businesses) is $25 on top of the normal shipping rate.