• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

    You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Doing a Upcoming Sunday & Monday Ski and board trip for Southern Vermont looking for few combo mountain suggestions??

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
479
Points
43
Hi, I was thinking of doing a Stratton and Magic mountain(never been there) Southern VT trip ski trip with a buddy Sunday and Monday. Since Magic doesn't run on Mondays it seems Magic would be on Sunday($69) and Stratton on Monday using 1st (Ski VT4 pass). Any other suggestions to grab the the recent snow?? is seems Okemo has been terrible with lifts and lines early this season but and open to suggestions of mountains to go to and to avoid??
 

slatham

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
2,185
Points
83
Location
LI/Bromley
I think on a non-holiday, non-powder day Monday you will not have crowding issues. So the question is which mountain do you like better and has best cost/beneift. Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley or Okemo.
 

TyWebb

Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2018
Messages
72
Points
8
Hi, I was thinking of doing a Stratton and Magic mountain(never been there) Southern VT trip ski trip with a buddy Sunday and Monday. Since Magic doesn't run on Mondays it seems Magic would be on Sunday($69) and Stratton on Monday using 1st (Ski VT4 pass). Any other suggestions to grab the the recent snow?? is seems Okemo has been terrible with lifts and lines early this season but and open to suggestions of mountains to go to and to avoid??

I have skied Mt Snow and Okemo a bunch of times this season as they are easiest for me to hit from the Philly buries. The lift lines are a lil overblown IMHO excluding the base to summit lifts. That said - until this past weekends dump terrain trail congestion was a much bigger problem unless u found ur spots. Sat 1/8 at Okemo was dangerous but we headed to Jackson Gore and it was much better tho a lot of the man made was skied off by 1'ish
 

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
479
Points
43
If I throw Pico Mountain(never been there) into the mountain Mix then I would possibly rearrange the trip into....drop Magic from this trip and do Sunday at Stratton(1st VT ski 4Pass use) and then Pico Mountain(never rode Pico) on Monday ($59) Hmmmmmm :)

Trying to use my VT 4 pass to their best use and am waiting on better conditions for Killington as can only go once to each mountain now that the VT 4 Passes are digital and as you use each digital one it is removed from the list to prevent reuse at the same mountain. Going to try to use one VT ski pass per trip and mix in the smaller mid-sized mountains I haven't been to at a more fairer price.
 
Last edited:

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
479
Points
43
I really would rather go further north for the weekend Sunday Riding to avoid crowds but hope the conditions will grow better in Feb and March with a few big dumps in VT to play in the woods and trees more :) This Lizzy storm sets a good base for the mountains as a whole where the snowmaking doesn't blow if the weather holds cold and no rains.
 

skimagic

Active member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
323
Points
28
Location
Western New England
Stick with your initial plan. Theres not much difference between the Big 3 Southern areas. Mt Snow has the north face but the rest of the mountain is filled with flats and has a lower pitch than Stratton and Okemo.
 

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
479
Points
43
So far Stratton will most likely be the Bigger Mountain that will be building this trip around but open to others. So far the options are

Magic on Sunday and Stratton on Monday or
Stratton on Sunday and Pico on Monday

open to new ideas and why one mountain currently isn't a good idea either operational or terrain wise. Considering Terrain would you choose Stratton or Okemo??What would you chose if you had to pick Pico or Magic as the second mountain option? I haven't been to either one.
 
Last edited:

chuckstah

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
1,381
Points
63
If I throw Pico Mountain(never been there) into the mountain Mix then I would possibly rearrange the trip into....drop Magic from this trip and do Sunday at Stratton(1st VT ski 4Pass use) and then Pico Mountain(never rode Pico) on Monday ($59) Hmmmmmm :)

Trying to use my VT 4 pass to their best use and am waiting on better conditions for Killington as can only go once to each mountain now that the VT 4 Passes are digital and as you use each digital one it is removed from the list to prevent reuse at the same mountain. Going to try to use one VT ski pass per trip and mix in the smaller mid-sized mountains I haven't been to at a more fairer price.
Pretty sure Pico is closed on Mondays
 

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
479
Points
43
The Pico sales calendar for lift tickets list Monday for sale and closed on Tuesday and Wednesday but will check
 

MidnightJester

Active member
Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Messages
479
Points
43
Pico is definitely open mondays. I'd stick with your original plan though. Magic Sunday and any of the others on monday.

Thanks for the input I was wondering about the Positives and Minus for each mountain to each other? either mountain better for good tree & Glade runs? What do you think of the Pico mountain compared to Magic mountain? (I haven't been to either)

Do you think that Stratton would be a tough crowd day on Sunday?
I am worried a little about terrain for a friend that isn't into hard blacks. Pico seemed to have more overall terrain to Magic and no idea about who can blow snow and resurface the best since the storm?? since we will be riding after a few days of riding after the storm a lot will be scraped or crushed down after Saturday
 
Last edited:

NYDB

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
1,404
Points
113
Location
Southeast NY /Southern VT
I think you maybe overthinking this.

Pico has more terrain open right now. 100% open. Magic is not quite there yet but it will be fun.

Pico will have more moderate groomed terrain open.


any combination is good just don't go to Okemo, Stratton or Mt. snow on a weekend if you can avoid that and go to those mountains on Monday. you'll have a much better time imo.
 

IceEidolon

Active member
Joined
Aug 10, 2017
Messages
475
Points
43
Magic is missing a couple steeps atm but should have West Side Talisman (whales/bumps), Sorcerer (thin) and Wizard (thin) plus basically everything on the East Side. You'll have a good time at either place. If you're coming back later in the season and only want to ski each mountain once, maybe wait for more natural so the trees at Magic are in play?
 
Top