• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dutch Hill (VT) coming back from the dead - sort of

raisingarizona

This is awesome and the sort of direction in the ski industry I'm excited about.

Sure these types of areas aren't going to create a sustainable economy for these towns but it will help and it wouldn't take much at all to keep them maintained. I see the idea just like any other city park and with the popularity of up-hilling growing it would really open up a lot more skiing opportunities, especially in today's world of corporate mergers.

Jully

This is awesome and the sort of direction in the ski industry I'm excited about.

Sure these types of areas aren't going to create a sustainable economy for these towns but it will help and it wouldn't take much at all to keep them maintained. I see the idea just like any other city park and with the popularity of up-hilling growing it would really open up a lot more skiing opportunities, especially in today's world of corporate mergers.

I had never thought about equating it to a park before, but agree and think that it is a great thing towns can do.

JimG.

Staff member
I had never thought about equating it to a park before, but agree and think that it is a great thing towns can do.

McCauley Mtn in Old Forge NY a great example. Small hill, simple infrastructure, run by the town.

That little hill has more soul than any of the other places I skied this season.

Glenn

Any small area is a good area. It's how a lot of people get their start on the hill. It's less expensive and less intimidating to start off at a smaller area.

VTKilarney

Any small area is a good area. It's how a lot of people get their start on the hill. It's less expensive and less intimidating to start off at a smaller area.

If I am reading this correctly, there will be no lift service. So I'm not seeing this as a hill that will target many beginners.

Newpylong

Think his comment was regarding small areas in general.

There will be no lifts are Dutch Hill, for that matter the majority of the slopes will not be re-cleared. However, many people in Northwestern MA and Southern VT got their start at Dutch Hill, so any reincarnation is a positive. Sad to drive by today, it is not recognizable except for the Meadow slope for snowmobiles.

Glenn

Didn't read all those details! Yes, small areas are still important. And this is a cool revival. Would love to see things open again, but this is better than just letting it all grow in.

raisingarizona

If I am reading this correctly, there will be no lift service. So I'm not seeing this as a hill that will target many beginners.

All you need to teach newbies is a 100 foot of packed snow and a little bit of slope. We used to hike up to sled all day long when we were kids. Americans sure have become soft.

freeski

I learned to ski at Whites Park in Concord, NH. The "slope" was about 100' long and 20' wide. You could only go straight down the hill because kids were lined up on the side. The instructor taught about 30 young kids to snowplow. It was a Park and Rec class.

dlague

I learned to ski at Whites Park in Concord, NH. The "slope" was about 100' long and 20' wide. You could only go straight down the hill because kids were lined up on the side. The instructor taught about 30 young kids to snowplow. It was a Park and Rec class.

We have gone tubing there a bunch of times. That is cool that someone was doing that there. I have seen people snowbarding in fact our youngest used to do that when he snowboarded.

SIKSKIER

And I at the Derryfield Country Club owned by the city of Manchester where they had a short rope tow.