• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Earning My Turns - Any advice for a first-timer?

zinger3000

Looks like all of the places still open within reasonable driving distance are charging over $50 for a lift ticket. I don't want to whore myself out like that (have never paid more than $50 for a lift ticket.) Thinking about going down to Belleayre to hike and earn some turns. I've never tried it before. Any advice for a first-timer?

dmc

I'm a whore... So you may want to take that into consideration..
But this is how it goes.. Follow close..

1) Carry skis up slope
2) Put them on
3) ski

repeat as necessary :)

Or put them on a pack and hike up..

dmc

It's not back country - so you don't really need any safety stuff.. And the hike from the lodge to the top of Bell isn't that much.. And they don't really care if you hike..

Should be easy. Start early - get it when it corns up.

drjeff

Don't hike right up the middle of the line that you want to ski down! - skiing back through your own boot holes sucks! So make your own boot track as out of the way as possible

zinger3000

And they don't really care if you hike..

Yeah, I figured I would try Belleayre when I saw this on their Facebook page

We are calling it the last day of the 2010-2011 Skiing and Riding Season at Belleayre! (Although we know the hardcores will be hiking to earn their turns as we still have tons of snow!)

abc

Looks like all of the places still open within reasonable driving distance are charging over $50 for a lift ticket. I don't want to whore myself out like that (have never paid more than $50 for a lift ticket.)
Not sure if Sugarbush is " within reasonable driving distance" from you. You can get $40 day ticket from liftopia.

Angus

I'd recommend a pack, so figure out how you are going to "securely" (operative word) fasten boots and skis to pack without them sliding around, loosening, etc. Do it in your driveway, test by putting pack on your back, et cetera. Bring water and food.

mediamogul

Has anybody been hassled by an area for earning their turns after the lifts have closed? I think I recalled hearing that Sundown mowed down the bumps on Gunbarrel possibly to discourage this very thing. I know at K it is a long standing tradition that people hike Superstar after the lifts stop running and has never seemed to be a problem.

Angus

I was hiking up cannon a few years back while they were replacing the tram cables - a guy in a groomer came along and told me to just stay away from that side of the mtn.

Cannonball

Looks like all of the places still open within reasonable driving distance are charging over $50 for a lift ticket. I don't want to whore myself out like that (have never paid more than $50 for a lift ticket.) Thinking about going down to Belleayre to hike and earn some turns. I've never tried it before. Any advice for a first-timer?

I'm pretty sure you have the "whore" concept mixed up. They earn money not spend it. So technically by earning your turns you are more like a whore.

But anyway, like everyone else said, it's that simple. Hike up....ski down. Suddenly the cost of a lift ticket won't seem so bad. Here's the very basic math. You can pay $50 and easily (in every sense of the word) get ten runs. That's $5/run. When you go hike up and and get to the top you will say to yourself, "shit I would definitely have paid 5 bucks to have someone carry me up here." Not to say I won't be doing the same thing come Monday.....

snowmonster

Fasten skis to the sides of your pack using the compression straps. If you have ski straps, fasten them to the ski tips so you form an "A" with your skis and pack. Bring water, food, sunscreen, a cap and a good attitude. Best advice I got is not to think that you're hiking so you can ski but to think that you're out for a hike with a ski run at the end. It can change your outlook. Learn by doing and think about the old time skiers who came before you. Enjoy!