• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eldora 2/16

rocojerry

With my younger brother living in Boulder -- he has a seasons pass to the local mtn 30 minutes up the creek -- Eldora. We decided to check it out.

6896831289_f4297dc11b_z_d.jpg

This was Corona -- one of the widest steep cruisers they had...
6896829691_a7046f0864_z_d.jpg

6896832317_627bbd164c_z_d.jpg

Its a nice mtn.. Some great groomers/cruisers, some bumps, some steeps/glades.
If you find yourself in the Boulder area, I definitely recommend heading over for a day--

Should have taken the camera out more than I did.... we had a nice blue sky sunny day.

Last edited:

snoseek

I've had some amazing upslope days there when I-70 corrider gets 3 inches and Eldora gets 30. It may be the windiest mtn I've ever skied!

skiNEwhere

I've had some amazing upslope days there when I-70 corrider gets 3 inches and Eldora gets 30. It may be the windiest mtn I've ever skied!

YUP. On upslope storms I'm there. Last year I skied there on a 19 inch pow day when summit CO got 4 inches.

I've heard it's really windy but I've never experienced it up close, guess I've gotten lucky. Windier than Loveland?

I will say though, that place has some terrible management. Just read the yelp reviews.

abc

How long of a drive from Denver? How's the traffic & road clearing after storm?

Since my pass includes Eldora, I wonder whether it would make for a better last day before my flight out, by avoiding the I-70 traffic jam (say, on a holiday Sunday afternoon) heading back to Denver?

snoseek

How long of a drive from Denver? How's the traffic & road clearing after storm?

Since my pass includes Eldora, I wonder whether it would make for a better last day before my flight out, by avoiding the I-70 traffic jam (say, on a holiday Sunday afternoon) heading back to Denver?

I would say a little over an hour to DIA if you're not in a storm and ok with paying that awful 470 toll. Add a few minutes if you want to save the toll but 470 is pretty consistently good. You have to drop down into boulder which is an annoying town to pass through with all those lights. Usually the roads are in decent shape unless a huge upslope which isn't too common. Without fresh its a little lame IMObut well worth avoiding the 70 clusterfuck

jimk

I skied Eldora for just two days back in Dec 2003. But as an Easterner I thought it was great. It has only a vertical of 1600', but a nice variety of terrain including black diamond glades and a few bump runs. For some reason it reminds me a little of Mt. Ellen in VT. Under the Indian Peaks chair was a very steep liftline bump run, called Ambush?? They have good snowmaking system which helped during our Dec visit and they occasionally get some big storms from a different direction than much of the state. The drive from Boulder is through scenic Boulder Canyon, which is pretty steep and could be challenging in a storm, but works great in reasonable weather and totally distinct from I70. There is a real pretty view East (direction of Great Plains) that includes Barker Reservoir:
015_12A.jpg
Check out trail map.
http://www.eldora.com/downloads/eldora_trails_2013.pdf