• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk 3/3/17

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
For the last three times I've been to Elk with expectations low due to weather .....Each time I have been very suprised by the "Elk Cloud" the micro climate around the mountain is crazy, a mile or two down the road is a diffrent story.
Today I expected boiler plate but went anyway ,the last miles drive was suprised by 2" of fresh powder. Arrived in a moderate squall with the sun in and out . Snowguns blowing on Tunkhannock and a ferw other trails. In December I arrived to 8" of powder but fooled around getting out and was left with a few untracked runs . I was determined not to do the same thing so I skipped the rest room and headed out . The powder was very edgeable but compressed against a very firm surface so even the greens were very fast . Some of the blacks were showing bullet proof stuff underneath and a few places had fracture lines showing from the rain carnage. Looks like a good effort to remain open to give the pass holders
their 100 days.

Drove past Camelback on the way up , Blowing as well.

Elk3.jpg